jcoultas

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I am looking at Having Eight elements of spells for my Mage class in my game and if each element has four levels then I am looking at a total of 64 spells just within the elemental category. That seems like a lot for me to have my players sort through so I came up with an idea that I would like to implement and I would like to know if it's possible and how to do it.

When the player selects the spell fire I want the spell to refer to a common event and use that to refer to a variable that rolls a D100 and then adds the result of that to the spellcasters level and any modifiers such as amulets that might Grant a small bonus to a certain element of spell. If the result of the check is under 100 I want it to cast the weakest level of Fire spell but if the result is between 100 and 139 I wanted to cast fire 2. If the result is between 140 and 219 I wanted to cast Fire 3. If the result is higher than 220 then I want it to cast the highest level fire 4 spell. This seems a good way for my players to have spells that scale in power as they level up without giving them an insane a number of spells. I hope that this is possible.

hainsay

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This isn't really a direct answer, but when you use skills they often have damage calculated by something like 100 + 2 x a.mat, which means as your magic attack increases the damage of the spell increases. You can give an amulet a trait that increases the actor's magic attack, or increases magical damage done by a certain percentage, which will increase power of all spells.

I don't know how to make some equipment increase damage done in a certain damage type, sorry. Probably something in the Note section, maybe in combination with a plugin. I'm at the "what are plugins?" stage of using plugins, so I can't help just yet.

Your idea sounds kind of cool, so if this hasn't helped and you already know what I've said, then please take this bump.

SwiftSign

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I believe in the damage calc you could put a conditional for v[fire] > 10, etc. And give it differing power levels.

The common event you're describing should work.

Or, to avoid move saturation, have tiered spells replace their weaker levels when learnt.

jcoultas

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This isn't really a direct answer, but when you use skills they often have damage calculated by something like 100 + 2 x a.mat, which means as your magic attack increases the damage of the spell increases. You can give an amulet a trait that increases the actor's magic attack, or increases magical damage done by a certain percentage, which will increase power of all spells.

I don't know how to make some equipment increase damage done in a certain damage type, sorry. Probably something in the Note section, maybe in combination with a plugin. I'm at the "what are plugins?" stage of using plugins, so I can't help just yet.

Your idea sounds kind of cool, so if this hasn't helped and you already know what I've said, then please take this bump.
Thanks, but the amulets don't increase damage precisely. They up the likelihood that you use the bettee version of the spell anywhere from a +10 to a +50.

This means a level 99 player with a +50 amulet would casr fire 4 on 51+. Anyway, I am new to plugins too so I definitely get where you are coming from.

By the way I am not quite sure how the balance will work out with my melee classes but my formula for tieted elemental spells are probably going to be as follows:

1 : 100 + m ark x2
2 ; 250 ÷ m atk x2.5
3 : 700 + m atk x3
4 : 1200 + m ark x4

These are subject to chance as I work out hame balance though.

SwiftSign
Can the spell check which amulet you are wearing to determine what bonus, if any, you get with this method?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Love it when someone confuses "RPG Maker (or script/plugin) has a bug" with "I didn't set it up right and it's not working as I want (or gives an error)"
Is animation really as hard as I think it is?
Out of sudden, snow. Everywhere.
Blech. I hate coming up with stories. Making gameplay is fun but coming up with lore and reasons for these areas/mechanics just makes me sleepy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YukiYuki