Magical Shopping Center? (Tilesets)

Discussion in 'Resource Requests' started by AxelVoss, Dec 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxelVoss

AxelVoss Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey there, everyone! I'm so happy to be a part of this amazing system! Just based on some of the games I've played, there are some high mountain peaks for me to climb to. I'm sure not gonna back down! I want to make my mark and share my stories like anyone else here. ^_^

Right now, I'm working on a project tentatively titled "The Wizarding World". It'll have players attending Atriux Academy of the Arcane Arts, a school for mages that may or may not be inspired by a certain school of Porcine-pustules. Worry not, my game will have plenty of its own twists and quirks. It's not just a fan game; it's a love letter to one of my favorite worlds of all time, and all my favorite RPGs. <3

Anyways, the reason I'm here is to ask you for a favor. I am no tile artist, and I just can't seem to find any tiles anywhere that would fit into a magical village/shopping center. Like many boarding schools, Atriux requires its students to purchase a long list of school supplies before attending, and where better to pick up such supplies than in the wizarding town of Middleview? Think Diagon Alley, only more open and developed, and with a more even balance of housing and shops.

I'm looking for classic RTP style tiles, compatible with VX Ace. Specifically, I would like:

• Walls and floors for the exterior and interior of residential and business buildings. Victorian-style architecture.
    • Cobblestone paths.
    • Displays cases, shelves and window displays.
    • Icons for wands and staves (simple wooden rods or elaborate, massive staves inset with gems and crystals - whatever you think works. Both are welcome), cauldrons, potions and ingredients (herbs, magical creature bits, alchemical infusions, bottles and junk), broomsticks, uniforms and other wizard gear.

I'd highly appreciate it if anyone could help this newbie out by giving me the materials to build Middleview. We need somewhere for our little mages of tomorrow to buy their robes, wands, and ritual chalk, don't we? >w<

Thanks, and I hope to see all of you soon! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2015
  2. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    What art style?  Which engine?

3. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A suggestion that worked for me to make a magical looking town (and it might help you): Look up Busted Ed's Tips and Tricks, and also look up the tutorial on tinting (Its under VX I believe, but the ideas still work). Then, use some of the tricks and tints to give it a magical feel, and use the RTP. I was able to make the town pretty magical between those three, and an occasional recolor of an RTP tile in GIMP.

Just a though of a solution that might be easier than finding a tileset directly for what you need (as tilesets take a long time to draw, and are not cheap to commission).

4. AxelVoss

AxelVoss Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hmm... I'll look into that. I'm not wholly confident in my tiling skills, but I can give it a shot.

At the very least, could I request shop signs and displays for potions, wands, herbs, etc?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2015
  5. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Try these:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/36010-new-roof-signs/

They are in VXAce style (which your profile says you are using), and you must own ACE to legally use them, but this gives you a few new signs. The last one is blank, so if  you don't see what you need just make many copies of the last one, and the copy/paste the image you want on it.

6. AxelVoss

AxelVoss Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I suppose that works. But where would I find display cases and shelves with wands and brooms and things?

7. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That I don't have I'm afraid. I know Ayene did some redone bookcases, but they were mainly books, not the other stuff. I'd still look it up, some of those might be useable. Beyond that, I'd keep the request open and see if someone can make them for you? My magical forest city only used those signs I posted the link to for the outside, so I didn't do anything else for the inside so don't have any tiles to share (sorry), otherwise I'd post them for you.

8. AxelVoss

AxelVoss Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Righto. Thanks for your help. ^_^

9. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

There are "make your own" bookcases around - open shelves with a transparent door you place on top after you add the merchandise.

For your wands and brooms and potions, I suggest looking at icons as well as tiles. =]

10. AxelVoss

AxelVoss Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Right... fair point.

And I'll have a look around for those shelves!

11. AxelVoss

AxelVoss Villager Member

First Language:
    English
  12. GrandmaDeb

GrandmaDeb Modern Exteriors Posted! Veteran

Did you find the bookcases? Also, there are magical elements in PandaMaru's LoneWolfBlog.

Cannnot link as I am at work. =]

Let me know if you can or cannot find them.

13. Vox Novus

Vox Novus Knight of Whispers Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2015
    GrandmaDeb likes this.
  14. AxelVoss

AxelVoss Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Wooooooaaaaaaahhh... dude.

This is perfect! Not just for Middleview, but for so many other things as well! I've got work to do...

Thanks so much for pointing this site out, Grandma Deb. :3

I think this can be closed now.

15. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.