MagiCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

bannernew2edit.png
The beginning of a mysterious new series, and an introduction to the always strange, sometimes beautiful, but mostly terrifying universe of MagiCats!

rmfbar2.png

Experience the magical world of Amait in this lighthearted slice-of-life! Feel the aching pangs of a distant and unspoken love in this Dostoevskyan dramedy! Put on a brave face to hide the quiet desperation of a childhood friend-turned-terrorist's impending death!

Rousalie had the good fortune to be born a black-furred molly of ignoble standing. In the world of Amait, this awarded her the privilege of being forced into the Imperial School of Thaumaturgy, learning low magic and becoming a witch in service to the Holy Empire of Amait. Now an adult, she has been assigned for over a year to the thirteenth canton of Ikshum, an Imperial City in the snowy, forested North of the world. Healing the sick, comforting the distressed, exorcising demons and settling small legal claims are just some of her responsibilities. And, for a big-hearted molly like Rousalie, it can be a very hard job to be a witch. But she's never let it get her down.

Today, however, will put Rousalie to the test.

rmfbar3.png
Rousalie Parzilene
A genius witch and the protagonist of Rousalie and the Infinite Sadness!
rousfordesc.png

After many years of hard work and dedication to the study of magic, Rousalie has achieved a rare feat in the history of the Empire: total completion of the Scholasticate's curriculum in magic and mysticism.

She wasn't allowed to learn the higher mysteries of philosophy and theurgy, and yet she possesses a curious knowledge of those and other subjects forbidden to witches.

Cyprian the Apostate
The cat who sold the world, and the Deuteragonist of Rousalie and the Infinite Sadness.
cypfordesc.png

An autistic savant and master magician, Cyprian’s greatest accomplishment is his comprehension of the magic of the Epistemes, but he considers his real talent to lie in magical dueling. Most know him, though, as the leader of a short-lived rebellion who now cowers in a ruined castle waiting to be killed.

Having studied the great and charismatic leaders of yesteryear, Cyprian has acquired an excellent, almost preternatural sociality -- but when Rousalie looks at him, she still sees the innocent, paw-flapping kitten she always knew.

rmfbar5.png
  • A deeply complex world that uses cute cats and the Western and Eastern magical traditions to plumb the depths of the feline condition!
  • A puzzle-like combat system based on the magic and mysticism of the Stella Matutina, Argentum Astrum, Typhonians, Rosicrucians, Martinists, Kabbalists, Merkavahists, Hermetists, Alchemists, Sufis, Onmyōji, Neoplatonists, Pythagoreans, Orphics, Dionysians, Serapis-worshipers, Greeks, Egyptians, Assyrians et al.
  • A suite of original music!
  • An experience inspired in great part by all the beautiful art I've had the incomparable fortune to have witnessed in my life.
SCREENSHOTS!
promoss2.pngpromoss4.pngpromoss1.pngpromoss5.pngpromoss3.png

Want to know more about the world of Amait?! See more at the below post: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...-and-the-infinite-sadness.144592/post-1255755

DOWNLOAD THE DEMO!

Last edited:

HOLYMOTHER

MagiCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The second ever MagiCats! Monday!

This week I've been working on combat animations. Pentagrams will be drawn according to their element, e.g. equilibrating pentagram bitom will be drawn starting from the third vertex clockwise. When letters of the tetragrammaton and pentagrammaton are vibrated, the letters in the alphabet of the magi will fade in and physically vibrate. I'm still think about how the signs will look when they're made -- maybe LISA style hands moving.

I've got a piece of art from production for everybody to see: Hexengineer Eluned! the witch who oversees engineering in Ikshum and Rousalie's fellow Parzilene. I haven't done a final once-over on the design yet, though, so don't get too used to it!

hexedsize.png

Besides all that, I've got some other things I do for MagiCats! Monday! I've been posting it over on twitter but I'm not well-known over there yet. I make a poster (usually a spoof of a film I like), I draw some characters in other styles, I post a magic quote, and I share some music. I didn't do a post here for the first MagiCats! Monday so I'll be doing two of each in this one.

MAGICATS! POSTERS!
1/31/22
BarryLyndon.png
Today
clockwork orange.png

MAGICATS! CROSSOVERS!
1/31/22
LISAtruorig5.png
F&Htru10.png
Today
ebgif110.png
mitw1.png

MAGICATS! MAGIC QUOTES!
1/31/22
"The Cry of the Vulture is a secret key of Nothingness, the ain or yoni of the Goddess in the form of the Beast, Shugal-Choronzon." -Kenneth Grant, "The Double Tongued One," in Outside the Circles of Time

Today
"As there is a door in the soul which opens on God, so there is another door which opens on the recremental deeps, and there is no doubt that the deeps come in when it is opened effectually." -A.E. Waite

MAGICATS! MONDAY MUSIC MINUTE!
1/31/22
Fireworks October 1990 by Picture Center
Today
Roxy by Concrete Blonde

rpgLord69

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Played the short demo. Great Pixel art! And wow, the amount of lore written in just environment interactions in your home. Brilliant! Started laughing when the first (and only) fight in the demo began and I saw my 28(!) magic-skills, with more "lore" written in each ability (I hope in the final product it'll be more clear what they actually do) :D Not much more I can say. Obviously a well thought out and lovingly crafted game. Good luck with the project!

Edit: Oh yeah, the layout of the house was maybe a little confusing, because when going back and forth from a room you sometimes returned to a different view or part of the house.

Last edited:

HOLYMOTHER

MagiCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you so much!

And thanks for telling me about the house layout being confusing. I based it on the floor plan of a real house, and tried to have the map flow in a way realistic to how a person might move through that. I guess you have to figure, though, in a real house it's easier to understand where you are!

Tweaking the map will be at the top of my to-do list for the patched demo. I'll also consider ways of making the skill descriptions less arcane -- while still keeping the mystery.

HOLYMOTHER

MagiCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MagiCats! Monday! Three!
athposterwithkidsSIZE.png
Had a breakthrough with the art this week. I figured out a way to do landscapes that meshes very nicely with the game's art style, and that will be used for parallaxes and balcony views and the like.

I've mainly been working on character art and background art this week. Here's some production art of Hegumene Yekaterina, who features in the teenage segments in High City Ath in the poster at the top of the post.

yekprodfordalt.png
The one in the middle reminds me of Atris from KoTOR II, with the white robes and tabard. I might go back and give Yek white robes.

Well, time for the regular features!

MAGICATS! MONDAY! MOVIE POSTER!
The Master postervariant1sizedown.png
The Master

MAGICATS! CROSSOVER COMIC! (Deltarune this week)
drc1.pngdrc2.pngdrc3.pngdrc4.png

MAGICATS! MAGIC QUOTE!
"Further developments of this vision emphasized the identity between the Universe and the mind. The search for similes deepened. I had a curious impression that the thing I was looking for was somehow obvious and familiar. Ultimately it burst upon me with fulminating conviction that the simile for which I was seeking was the nervous system." -Aleister Crowley, Commentaries on Liber AL vel Legis

R. Stevie Moore - Schoolgirl

HOLYMOTHER

MagiCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MagiCats! Monday! FOUR!
A whole month of MagiCats! Mondays! With new screenshots to celebrate!
rss1.png
rss2.png
And a super secret screenshot that's actually from the demo.
promoss6.png

MAGICATS! MONDAY ARTWORK!
meowmeowwss.png
By @Buubblecorn

MAGICATS! MAGIC QUOTE!
"The Three Mother Letters are equivalent to the Three Primary Colors, which break up into the Seven Colors of the Rainbow, and may be further divided into Twelve. So the Paths of the Tree represent all the Colors between Light and Darkness, and, of course, a host of other ideas as may be found in 'Q.B.L.' and Book 777" -Frater Achad, The Anatomy of the Body of God

Fat Lady of Limbourg - Brian Eno (Originally I planned for it to be Put a Straw Under Baby, another very good song.

And be sure to look out for a post later this week, when I'll show off some new setting, character and location sections.

Last edited:

HOLYMOTHER

MagiCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Fifth MagiCats! Monday!
A really special one! An exclusive look at the setting, characters and locations of the games!
Possible spoilers ahead!

SETTING!
The World of Amait
Gul-lum was the first cat to enter Underworld. So we count him. A magician-priest who ascended the throne of some backward, dying dimension. Reality, or what was later ontologized to be real, was still aberrant -- neither formed nor unformed to a common intellect -- and so any chronology is really impossible. But we call him the first. When God was angry and theurgy an eldritch thing. Black Gul-lum. The father of witches.

Simple thought alone, even by the uninitiated, might have altered the stuff of creation in those days. Days we cannot even consider bygone for all the horror of their being, or having had been, or even still, having will have been! If you can imagine! We remember them as passed, now, and that’s what makes them past. It was not until Mau the Zeroth, our blessed father, reached the final depth of Underworld and broke through into Heaven that these black days were ended. By the primitive rite and ritual of the Old Current, Mau reified the first descent of the Lord and so created Spermatic Dogma, the magico-divine construct through which those many disparate chaoses of existence were made, and are still made, into the universe; into Amait.

Many strange aeons have come and gone since that singular day. Now, the Holy Empire of Amait, a byzantine bureaucracy of white and black magicians, rules not only tens of billions of lives but reality itself. The Holy Empire's great powers expressed in Spermatic Dogma are made manifest by the Terminal Epistemes, horrifying and incomprehensible machines created by the ancient magi, the mechanics of whose operation are nigh-forgotten. Magic and other sciences are heavily regulated, but the Empire's interest in government ends at the preservation of its own power — every other facet of life in Amait is fractured by the vying of guilds and consortia for the sizable crumbs of power the Imperial State has left behind. Protected Imperial metropolises flourish by taxes levied from hulking industrial city-states, girded by private armies and mercantile interests, while the Empire sanctions limited wars fought on blasted borderlands inbetween. Imperial citizenship is seldom granted to those outside the Empire's apparatuses, and non-citizens have no recourse to Imperial law but through the guilds that control their cities.

The larger but lower half of the Holy Empire's administrative organ comprises common-born, black-furred mollies trained in Low Magic (chiefly the conjuration of demons and elementals), who are called the Daughters of Gol or, more commonly, witches. They concern themselves with comforting the ill and healing the wounds of the world. It is only by their intervention that a measure of peace is kept and life is not reduced to the most brutal struggle. Their superiors, the cats who rule the world, are noble-born, white-furred toms trained in High Magic (the invocation of angels and astral powers, and even the manipulation of Spermatic Dogma), called the Sons of Mau, or maguses, or magi. The birth of a pure white cat is rare, and in a world where mollies outnumber toms ten-to-one, magi form a small elite over scores of witches. The magi themselves are ruled by ten of their most powerful, who form the Convocation of Elector Princes — a secretive and hidden cabal that holds the Holy Empire of Amait and its Terminal Epistemes by the throat.

Above the Elector Princes there are only the ascended magi, so great and holy and magical as to have entered Heaven while yet of flesh (following Mau's example), now seated in the court of the latest coming of God. But many cats, even among witches and magi, doubt they exist.

Months ago, the status quo was challenged when a magus, Cyprian, slew the consanguinated and inbred noble house of Catsidh and, as the only scion of its only cadet branch, claimed their wealth, titles and ancestral castle. As it is not technically possible for a magus to commit a crime according to Imperial Code of Laws, this was of no concern to anyone until, as Duke of Kand and Mulmu, Cyprian challenged the legitimacy of the current Convocation and, through some old, arcane bylaw, named himself an Elector Prince. Every Convocation since the third coming of God had been unanimous in its election of Him to Emperor, legitimizing their control over the Terminal Epistemes. Cyprian, already a false Elector, dissented against this, and so was in his false rights to claim one of the Terminal Epistemes for himself.

Cyprian's rebellion was quickly quashed, but not before setting the world alight. In the days following his declaration of dissent and seizure of a Terminal Episteme, unsanctioned guild wars broke out across all Amait and, in the short time they raged, caused incalculable damage and suffering. Riots broke out in Imperial cities as some magi declared themselves factionaries to Cyprian's short-lived new order. Worst of all, as the powers-that-be consider it, the legitimacy of the Holy Empire, and therefore God, was questioned.

Since then, much has been rebuilt and life has returned to normal. Cyprian is now holed up in his castle, and the few successful divinations performed have detected his summoning an army of demons, elementals and things stranger still. All attempts on his life, magical or otherwise, have failed. The world waits with bated breath for whatever comes next.

CHARACTERS!
(with extra commentary by Rousalie)
Rousalie Parzilene
A genius witch and the protagonist of Rousalie and the Infinite Sadness!
rousfordesc.png

After many years of hard work and dedication to the study of magic, Rousalie has achieved a rare feat in the history of the Empire: total completion of the Scholasticate's curriculum in magic and mysticism.

She wasn't allowed to learn the higher mysteries of philosophy and theurgy, and yet she possesses a curious knowledge of those and other subjects forbidden to witches.
Hi! My name's Rousalie! Well, actually, my Imperial name would be "Rousalie, Witch of Ikshum." Before I finished school and became a witch, my Imperial name was "Sister Rousalie of Parzil," and before that my name was just "Rousalie Parzilene," which is still my citizen name for taxes and censuses and y’know. As you've already guessed, the Empire has funny ideas about names, so just call me Rousalie.

What's there to know about me? Hm... well, like I said, I was born in Parzil. I'm a Capricorn, and I'd show you my natal chart but witches aren't supposed to. Um... Ooh! I have nine sisters and one brother, in three litters. The first litter is Maëlys, Calixte, Hodierna and Clervie, and they're my big sisters and big brother. The second litter is Dahlia, Blanchefleur, me and Lilliane, so they're my litter-sisters. The third and last litter was Solène, Gwendoline and Zazie, and they're my little sisters. They were born after I had to leave home, but I know them just as well as any of my other siblings!

My parents are Loïc Vercingetic and Chantal Manukaps, and if you know anything about Parzil, you know that Vercingetic is the surname for cats from Vercinget (funnily enough), while Manukaps is a noble family. So my father was a non-citizen from an industrial city while my mother wasn't just a citizen, but one from nobility! Well, Mom had to give up all her claims before they could get married, and Daddy had to give up nearly all of his money to buy citizenship. That might sound sad, but it was actually very lucky, because only black furred mollies who are citizens-by-birth and ignoble are allowed to become witches. Black-furred mollies who are born to nobility, like I might have been... well, the ancient magi said they have to be euthanized when they're born, and if there's any rule the Curia won't break, it's one set down by the ancients. I'd rather drop that subject, though. There’s no point discussing it.

Let's see... I have a lot of cousins, mostly on Mom's side. And I could tell you about my grandparents and ancestors, but you want to know more about me, right? So, eventually I was sent to a school called Schola Kaouther for magic kindergarten. It was right in the city, so I still got to live with my family a while longer. I did the best out of any of the girls in the class, so they sent me to be tested for aptitude in thaumaturgy, physical alchemy, goetics and everything else they teach witches who qualify for sorceress training. I'm not trying to be immodest when I say that I got perfect scores on all the aptitude tests, but there was a celebration at the school after the teachers found out. Every class had a pizza party because of me. I'm not bragging, that's just the way it happened.

After that, I was put on a special track to finish the elementary courses a few years ahead of the other students. Then I had to… say goodbye to everybody, before I left for the next stage of my education.

I was placed in a special class with the other most gifted witches-to-be in the Empire, and we toured the different metropoles, learning the basics of various arts from our teacher, Lectrice Lkhama, and the advanced knowledge from all the smartest witches of the Empire. It's like being a journeyman before you become an apprentice. Lkhama also taught us Neo-Demonic.

After a few years, I was chosen for the rarest honor grantable to a witch-in-training: being sent to study in the Hofau School! in High City Ath! I was a teenager around this time, and I can't really talk about it because it's against the law to describe anything the Chancellery does, and they run the Hofau School. But it was... an amazing time in my life. That's when I took the trials.

For the first time ever, I also got the chance to pursue some of my personal interests, like magical engineering and physical alchemy. I had my own lab and workshop! I a-... sorry, I really shouldn't talk about it. I forgot. But I can tell you that I got and still get a lot of recognition for it! I have a few patents for potions and inventions, and before you ask, no! I don't get very much money from it, but I don't do it for the money, do I? I do it to help people. And besides, the marks the Empire awards me in my stipend are more than enough.

When Si-... w-when I knew one of the former chancellors, he was always trying to give me money and presents, but I made him give it all to the Scholasticate and the Ministry of Education.

Anyway, after I finished the trials I was a fully qualified witch! And all of my qualifications were of the highest possible grade, please allow me to add. Even after all that, though, I still had to finish my apprenticeship (which is more like a residency, but we call it an apprenticeship). Hegumene Yekaterina, who oversaw the trials in Ath and is the second most powerful witch in the Diet, handpicked me to be one of her apprentices.

A few short years later, I was finally given my first assignment by the Empire! I was stationed here in Ikshum and given a place in the circen at the head of the coven, along with control over the thirteenth canton.
Well, there it is! I wouldn’t call that my life story, exactly, but I hope it gave you a good idea of who I am and what I’ve done. Thanks for listening!

Cyprian the Apostate
The cat who sold the world, and the Deuteragonist of Rousalie and the Infinite Sadness.
cypfordesc.png

An autistic savant and master magician, Cyprian’s greatest accomplishment is his comprehension of the magic of the Epistemes, but he considers his real talent to lie in magical dueling. Most know him, though, as the leader of a short-lived rebellion who now cowers in a ruined castle waiting to be killed.

Having studied the great and charismatic leaders of yesteryear, Cyprian has acquired an excellent, almost preternatural sociality -- but when Rousalie looks at him, she still sees the innocent, paw-flapping kitten she always knew.
It’s Sippy… I, um… I don’t if I can… I don’t know what I’m supposed to say.

I guess, um… Well, Sippy was born the same year as me, in a city in the Isle of Song. His ancestors, some Catsidhs who went to Song after they, um, got in trouble in the Father Realm, used to own a lot of the land in Song but they’d lost most of it by the time Sippy was born, besides Blackwater. And that’s where he grew up, but he never talks about, uh, talked about it. Oh! That’s something about Sippy: most white cats get adopted into noble families after they’re born, y’know, but Sippy was already a noble.

U-um… Sippy’s a Libra, and he has a really nice chart too, but magi -- the ones who actually become magicians -- if they undergo all the initiations then the stars stop governing them like they do the rest of us. So, I say “Sippy’s a Libra,” but really he doesn’t have a sign anymore.

We met on the first day of kindergarten…

Sippy…

He doesn’t like it when I talk about this, and he tries very hard to hide it, but Sippy has… he’s autistic. He learned how to cope with the bad aspects of it, eventually, but it also gave him a special talent for magic. Even as a kitten, Sippy could intuit things about magical theory that would take older magicians years to understand.

When he was little they said he was a savant and a mental calculator, too, because of the things his brain could do. But when he grew up, Sippy said he was only doing tricks anybody could, if they knew how. But Sippy would also tell you he’s not autistic, and actually a “superfeline” who’s the “next stage of spiritual evolution” and blah, blah, blah. Sippy doesn’t always tell the truth, especially when he doesn’t like it.

Anyway, when the Curia found out how smart little Sippy was (and it never takes them long to find anything out) they never let go of him. They thought that if they taught Sippy everything they knew, and gave him access to everything they forbade, even what they themselves didn’t understand, then he might grow up smart enough to fix the Epistemes. It was wrong, and it… it hurt Sippy in… in ways that… I can’t…

He was already, um, “on the spectrum,” so Sippy was never on the same planet as you or I (even though I got pretty close sometimes). But after he became Chancellor, and he got access to the last of what they had kept from him: the oldest, most incomprehensible magic… well… y-you could look in his eyes and tell he had gone someplace where no one could follow.

That’s why they made him Chancellor, even when he was so young. Well, they didn’t make him Chancellor, but they made it very easy for him to do it on his own. Sippy never understood the control they exerted over his life. He enjoyed the special, questionable “privileges” they gave him. His ego, well…

The Epistemes? The Terminal Epistemes are… well, I don’t know what they are, but they’re like… conductors for God’s Will. They decide what’s real, even natural law. If a magician were to take control of one, he could make his own dimension with it, with completely different laws of physics and logic and everything. I’m not sure how, but they don’t work as well as they used to, when the ancient magi made them. I wish I could tell you more. Sippy’s the only one who ever figured them out, and he never told anyone anything, not even me. I guess the ascended magi know how the Epistemes work, but they don’t like to talk either.

And “Chancellor?” The Chancellor is the head of the Chancellery, which keeps the archives and maintains the Epistemes.

Well, Sippy… after they… well, I can’t talk about it. I really shouldn’t, for Sippy’s sake. The Curia eventually became embarrassed of him, and they made him do a lot of different things, like go fight the Black Turbans in Gaweer.

Eventually… h-he… Sippy got in trouble. And everybody knows the rest. B-but don’t believe everything they say about him! Don’t even believe everything Sippy says about himself…

Knight Captain Ludovic
A magehunter from the Knights of Lance and Grail, and protagonist of Death Trip!
ludfordesc.png

Ludovic was magically bred by the ascended Magus Rahn of Lance and Grail for the singular purpose of killing magi who lose the favor of the Court of God. He has been trained since birth in every art of war, and can resist any mind-altering magic dreamable.

Ludovic, like all Knights of Lance and Grail, has led a cloistered, monk’s life. He knows only enough of the world to function in his capacity as an elite operator.

I don’t think I’ve ever met this cat before. But I do recognize the armor he’s wearing. He’s a Knight of Lance and Grail. They might be even more secretive than the magi.

That’s a falx he’s holding, y’know. They hit each other with the pointy end. It’s made of some special material, but no one seems to know what it is, exactly, besides the Knights.

LOCATIONS!
Father Realm
The Father Realm, more commonly called the Fatherland, is the first realm of existence and the heart of the Holy Empire of Amait. Extremely large, the whole diameter of the Fatherland, from one point of the desert wastes that encircle the realm to its opposite on the far side, is roughly 56,000 miles.

Most of the realm is inhospitable to civilization not only for the many oceans and unlivable mountains and jungles but because, over many tens of thousands of years of recorded history, warring magi made use of machines and sorceries so vast in their evil that entire continents were rendered wastelands hostile to life in even its most bacterial form.

While the Holy Empire of Amait controls all the world through the supreme magic of its rulers, most of its holdings lie very closely together in one quadrant. These holdings take the form of the sprawling Imperial Cities and the smaller, guild-run industrial cities that serve them. There are other upwellings of civilization in every part of the Father Realm, but these are of such infinitesimal size and influence they fall far from the thoughts of those who would see them destroyed or integrated.

Through all this, it is generally considered a great privilege and a gift of fate to be born in the Fatherland.

Ikshum City
Iksban.png
Ikshum City, often simply called Ikshum, is the Imperial City which governs the region of Ikshum. Enduring bravely the dark, hoary forests of the Cocytean North, it is served by a few industrial cities, e.g. Vyshatic, Turxanth, Yukagh et al. Ikshum, while ancient, was one of the last Imperial Cities created and maintains both a physical and cultural isolation from the rest of the Empire, and so maintains many old, regional traditions bizarre to most Imperial citizens. However, the cats of Ikshum are not-at-all rustic or backward but just as cultured and scholarly as any citizens of the Empire, and, in some pursuits such as science and literature, are considered superior to those of other cities. The region of Ikshum and the greater North is comprised not only of taigas and forests, but also steppes and tundras and a high desert, and so many exotic cultures and objets d'art find their center in Ikshum city. All considered, the Ikshumic is seen as a charmingly eccentric, but nonetheless stoic, aristocratic and intelligent citizen of the Empire, if sometimes given to overpowering behavior.

Ikshum's late founding was abnormal in that, rather than being manipulated by the ancient magi into doing so, the old tribes of Ikshum had already confederated and created a common community. A diplomatic mission was dispatched to the Empire, and this proto-Ikshumic confederacy asked to be uplifted by the magi, as others had been. Their wish was granted, and they became Imperial citizens of Ikshum. Though now cultivated and cosmopolitan, they have not forgotten their origin and its politic. This is not detrimental, though, as the cats of Ikshum have retained also their ancestors' view that, to be a citizen of the Empire is a privilege so great that it supersedes any tribal identity. Even in the labyrinthine camp of yurts that encircle the city, which houses the emissarial missions of those rustic citizen-clans who deign to remain out on the steppe or tundra, there has never arisen any tribal violence or even disagreement.

Ikshum is also abnormal in that, among those magi born to the nobility of Ikshum there is a stronger sense of community, and while most magi remain in Ath or live in travel or seclusion, Ikshumic magi will usually return to the city and make a home there, at least for a decade or two. Consequently, Ikshum is a little more advanced in its magic, machinery and architecture than most cities. The greatest example of this advancement can be seen in the seven skyscraping onion towers which gird the city and provide some mysterious, mystic protection.

Rousalie's Cottage​
Formerly belonging to Witch Drusilla, who was promoted to Maiden and moved to Ath, Rousalie's cottage is situated in the center of the thirteenth canton of Ikshum. The cottage and the magical grove it controls are protected from the elements and nosy citizens by an enchaunted dome, like a force field. The grove around the cottage is always springly and verdant as the weather within the dome is controlled. Rousalie had the Parzil skyline projected onto the dome for a while, but it was too bittersweet.

Parzil City
parban.png
Parzil City, often simply called Parzil, is the Imperial City which governs the region of Parzil. Nested comfortably in a summery, paradisal hinterland, it is served by several industrial cities, e.g. Vercinget, Oudicca, Idukin et al. Parzil is one of the oldest remembered Imperial Cities, and is a (if not the) seat of high culture in the Empire. Artisanal wines, beautiful art, haute cuisine and couture are some of Parzil's best loved exports, to speak nothing of its greatest: a high minded, chivalrous tradition of conduct. Throughout the Empire, the Parzilene is considered one of the kindest, most truthful and honorable of all Imperial citizens.

There remains almost not one trace of those benighted days of Parzil's founding, and the cats descended from the tribes the ancient MAgi confederated into the citizenry have forgotten their old allegiances totally, and in fact most of them have no knowledge of their city's barbarous origins. They are fully civilized, almost sterily so. Even the non-citizens of the industrial cities have forgotten their old ways in favor of courtliness.

Long seen as a jewel of the Empire, Parzil has a long history of attempted coups and revolutions, but has enjoyed one of its longest periods of peace in the last one-hundred years.

Schola Kaouther​
Named after a Parzilene Sister of Mercy, Schola Kaouther is designated by the Scholasticate to provide an elementary education for all witches and magi served by the Parzil Covenant, and a vocational education for those witches who don't qualify for sorceress training and will later join the Coven of Parzil. It was the school where Rousalie and Cyprian attended Magic Kindergarten.

Manor Manukaps​
An old vinyard chateau owned by the nobility on her mother's side of the family, later renovated, Manor Manukaps is where Rousalie spent the happiest days of her childhood: helping pick grapes or plums from the orchard with the servants, watching the machinery in the winery at work, and most importantly, spending time with her family. But once her elementary education ended, so to did those happier days.

High City Ath
athban.png
High City Ath, where creation began, rises in worship of the empyrean from the abyssal center of the Enguric Ocean. Ensorceled black basalt painted with all the blood and pigments of the world is shaped into strange, antique styles of architecture and radiates alien dweomers most beautiful at night. Ath is the administrative center of the Holy Empire, and here congregate the black and white magicians who control the world and all its cats.

While the Dietal Ministries are headquartered in the cities most economical to their respective functions, all Curial ministries and offices are kept within the confines and intrigues of the High City. Most important of all the Curia's departments is the Chancellery, which maintains the Terminal Epistemes and administrates the Hofau School, where magicians have been taught the higher mysteries since its founding by Mau the Zeroth.

Ath was, at one time, in primitive days so bygone as to be incalculably eldren, the city of Mau's birth and ascent. Now, though, no one is born in Ath.

Khast, the Necropolis
khban.png
A gargantuan cavern secreted under, and dwarfing the already sprawling Ath, Khast houses a silent, dead desert whose black sands are grained so razory as to kiss blood from flesh with every step thereon; radiated with the evil sorceries of ancient wars and unlit save for the drifting lights of forgotten spells. There is no wind, and the air is humid like to leech the breath from any who resist the radiation.

Cyclopean obelisks spire into the expanse under the cavern ceiling, where there was once a starry welkin but now only darkness, and the ruins of some first civilization now house naught but the necromancies and perverse archaeologies of the Chancellery. Of all the universe's secrets, here is where the best are kept, such as the Tomb of the Barque of the Prime Episteme.

The Holy Wastes
wasban.png
The Holy Wastes ring the fatherland with nigh-endless crag and desert, demon-haunted and black with the ash of the countless dead and dying suns from the screaming dark that stretches forever out from the cliffs where creation ended, into strange stars and illimitable nebulae unto -- beyond the scope of reason, the magi say -- the outer darkness.

Save for the patroling of a certain demon-hunting sect of Knights of Lance and Grail, and the odd pilgrimage or suicide, the Holy Wastes are devoid of natural life. They are called "holy" not only in reverence to their being the limit of what the LORD chooses to surveil, but to evoke in the average citizen (and even non-citizen) of the Empire such a sense of pious obeisance that they are avoided.

Far Realms
The Far Realms are realms of existence created subsequently to the Father Realm, and their continued existence is all-the-same predicated on the network of Terminal Epistemes which the Empire maintains. The ancient magi sent specially wrought Epistemes off into the astral, where at points those great magi conceived or somehow calculated to be proper, a far realm would be reified with its respective Astral Episteme at the center.

They are reached either by a complex system of portals which finds its Nexus in Ath, or by otherworldly biomechanical astralcraft capable of traversing the great black ocean of stars that is the firmament. Each far realm is called an isle, and colonized according to whatever interest best suits it. To be born in the far realms, even as a citizen of the Empire, is thought of as a mistake of fate and detested. So-called "far-realmers" are pitied, looked down on or outright disliked by those born in the Father Realm.

Isle of Song
sonban.png
The Isle of Song, so named for a mythical music which emanated from the swampy black waters waded by its first explorers, is a horrifying world of dark, sweltering and monster-infested wetlands that reek out forever from a foggy hill country that surrounds a small plateau. The hill country is called Hickasaw, and finds its capital in Tishomin on the central plateau. The swamp country is called Bayagoula and its capital is LaSalle.

The Isle's inhabitants, who think of the place as heavenly, speak of a great spine of mountains and hills to the North of the realm where some descendants of the first colonists still live.

Its main contribution to the Empire lays in agriculture, monster hunting and some mining, as well as a small but growing entertainment industry focused mainly on, serendipitously, music. At one time the far realm of choice for exiled nobility, the Isle of Song used to possess a reputation for honor and gentlemanly leisure, but has since degenerated after many disasters and abuses. The Islander of Song is thought of as a backward, cruel and piratical rascal, while nominally knightly, and is perhaps the most ill-liked of all far realmers.

Blackwater​
A rotting, dilapidated plantation estate in the dark heart of Bayagoula, Blackwater is where Cyprian spent the few years after his birth before he was given up to serve the Empire.

And there you have it! And here's bonus chart that already comes with a download of MCR:IF! A visual aid to help players understand the government of Amait:
HEA Govt visual aid.png

My original plan was to put all this and the rest still to come in a pdf manual that would come with a download of the games, but now I wonder if I should make a special wiki that only I can edit.

I hope you like it!

PixelatedBree

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey there! I just finished playing the demo of Magicats!, and I wanted to let you know how GOOD it is!!! I hope you are working hard on this (not too hard of course--don't overdo it!) because I got to the end of the demo where Rousalie is meeting Cyprian for the first time, and I went, "nooooo!" when "End of Demonstration" popped up on the screen :kaoback: I want to know more about what went wrong between Rousalie and Sippy! Not to mention that scary cat from the nightmare....

Favorite Parts:

-Radiophonizer! (Glassticine was my favorite out of the two songs)
-Good balance between whimsicality and realism (the magic is very detailed)
-Eloquent writing
-So many interactive items! (and they added to the depth of the story and weren't just filler texts)
-Great worldbuilding
-Cute pixel art (especially love the "plushie" busts)
-Battle music slapped
-Kitten's got claws :LZSlol:

I struggled with the parasite at first, but once I got the hang of all of Rousalie's magic, it was a much, much easier time for me.

Keep it up! I'm excited to see where this goes!

(Also, I got the Minerval Ending.... Is that good? I died once and hadn't saved for a bit...)

HOLYMOTHER

MagiCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you so much! I'm so happy you liked it! And I adore the review you've written, it's made my whole week.

Big strides are being made in development, even if I don't write all the dev logs I ought to, and before long I'll update the demo with the new combat animations and parallax backgrounds I've made.

Don't worry, the minerval ending is the normal ending, so you didn't miss out on anything big.

HOLYMOTHER

MagiCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MagiCats! Monday No. 6!
(Friday, May 27th, 2022)
holymothergames.png
That's right, it's the triumphal return of MagiCats! Monday!
A lot of progress on the game!
But still no combat animations!​

MAGICATS! MONDAY! MOVIE POSTER!
rmtc.png

MAGICATS! MAGIC QUOTE!
"The life of Nations is like the life of men; — they are born, become intellectual, direct that intellect to black ends, — and perish. But every now and then, at the end of certain periods, there are greater crises in the World's history than at other periods, and at such times it becomes necessary that Sons of God should be incarnated to lead on the new era of the Universe." - SL MacGregor Mathers, "Flying Roll no. X"

Gus Dapperton - Grim

This is some of my favorite cover art of all time because I once read a comment on it something to the effect of, "This is a Final Fantasy character."

And here's a special challenge for you, the reader of this thread: can you name the font used in the subtitle for our spiffy new title graphic? I bet you can't!

HOLYMOTHER

MagiCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Sothiac star has risen in the East! The secret sun of annunciation!

Did you play the latest version of the MCR:IS demo with its spiffy new UI and combat animations, see the great ending cinematic, and think, "Oh, but good golly wouldn't I like to see that again!"

Well, now you can! (Don't you dare if you haven't played the demo! You won't feel the same emotions if you watch it without having done so.)

Czech out my favorite frame from it:
bg6.jpg
Gimme a hug!

Anyway, development is ongoing. I've also been working on writing, editing and publishing my books, as well as helping to publish... a new TRPG that's getting put up later this month (fingers crossed) on Itch! Free!

coversmall.png

As we edge nearer to September's end, I'll be focusing harder and harder on my literary career -- but after that I'll return my greater attention to MagiCats! development.

The next MagiCats! Monday is not so far away!

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Sometimes I wonder why I still try and recruit others to help with my games. It never works.
ScreenShot_10_3_2022_4_27_17.png
welp, thanks to Luna MV, I was able to add the Balloon as a window... thus allowing me to edit the font color and outline... so now it looks like comic bubbles above characters. I have NO idea why I couldn't get this to work through more conventional means, but here we are.
CUTE CUTE CUTE.gif
I cannot cease doing cute art
War and Wonder is a 100% choice-based open-world visual novel.
1664821313732.png
1664821466359.png
1664821547746.png
Going live soon on Twitch, and will continue Fortunastreet's game "Verloren". For those who are curious, you are welcome to join ;)

-> Franz' Twitch channel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KyzerKiba