Cinnamon Dev

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello, as December approaches I am currently In a bind on my first "major" RPG maker game. However, In past games I have made the quality starts terribly then increases in quality (due to me becoming more familiar to RMXP). What are some tips you can give me about how to maintain good quality on a solo project.

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a dummy project laying around that I always use to test and tinker with an idea before I get too deep into implementing it into the actual project and making a hot mess out of it. Often I find a better way to do something later on so taking a little time aside lets it bake a bit longer for me to think things through. For assets, I tend to use placeholders until much later on because I suffer from "changed my mind itis." I also do all my relevant game writing in a word document to really comb it for mistakes and edit it for clarity, flow, etc. Basically, I just do a lot of helpful things off to the side of the physical project so that the actual game file isn't my very first time attempting to work with the concept.

Last edited by a moderator:

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Basically, what I'm doing is make small games out of certain features that I want in my big main game (for example, I want to have a character with a stance switch mechanic, so I'm first building a small game around that feature before I make it in my main project). It's a good way to play around with an idea that I have, but need experience working with, and I also get to finish more games by making small things first. Plus, when making something small, you're less likely to have huge variances in quality, so that could be a good thing to keep in mind, in general.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
When it is something that is repeated, Common Events are your friends.  It is much easier to edit one common event later on when you discover a better way of doing something than to find and edit 10 or more individual events.

Aweed

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I think one of the most important things in making a game is story, lore, and characters. And how I make all of that is that I look at other sources. Every great story had inspiration, take game of thrones for example George R.R martin took inspiration from the war of the roses a real medieval war between the York's and Lancaster. Btw how do you @ a person

Dr. Delibird

Also known as HRforges
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Consistency. Consistency in your game design, in your writing, in everything. Consistency is key to the creation of anything remotely good.

A lot of practice project helps too. No matter what you do you will always learn how to do things better as you work on your project. You can never achieve perfection, even your own standards of perfection are unobtainable unless your idea of perfection is being content. You have to find a point in your project where you can find content in your work. Don't settle for less but just realise that if you keep scrapping your project or restarting it you will never finish anything. Be content to a certain extent or be lost on the endless cycle that so many of us have been in or at least seen.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Been playing through Skies of Arcadia again, and it really makes me wanna see someone try to implement how ship battles were done in the game into RPG Maker (or really just in general).
split.png
split view of both versions of the pocket city you traverse through. there's differences like areas only being accessible in one version of Autumn Bay. or events that only happen in one or the other.
theortically if there were a developer who spied on people's game playthroughs and changed things in real time to make it harder for them, what might be said game developer's motivation?
Hi everyone! Enjoying this nice long weekend. How are you all doing? :)
I just successfully tested having events check if specific actors are in a particular party slot and then changing image to match. This will let me make scenes take into account who is in the party at the time and arrange them accordingly - this is important since I'll have extra actors beyond current party. The script used is the same from MV and is compatible with my current core plugin setup in MZ. Thank goodness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yung_DemonxSlayer