Make using an item perform a region check, then activate event?

Skwis

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm making a quest where you have to be a photographer.

When you "use" the camera item in your inventory, I want it to check if you're on a region.
If player uses the camera item while standing on region 1, this is a good photo and window will pop up saying good job.
If player uses the camera item while standing on region 2, this is a bad photo and window will pop up saying try again.

How do I make that happen?

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I rather would making it an event based than a region based, or to say, some visible
marking spots to reconize when keybutton "camera button" is pressed, it will check
if he is on the event, else, it's not a nice spot to take a foto.

there might be other methodes as well,but it depends which one is best.

for region based you can try a condition in parallel process:

if: region = 1
this seems a nice spot for a foto, take foto?
yes/no choices or whatever

else
this isn't a nice spot to take a foto, let's find another spot
end

you dont need multiple regions for what is a good spot and which does not,
but you can use it if you need multiple foto's in a progression.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll give a few more details because your post doesn't indicate how much of the engine you know.

As the poster above said there are basically two ways to do this, depending on what exactly you want to do.
the first way is to place events where the player can make photos and have them check if he has the required items (camera) and give answers depending on whatever conditions you think of.
This is the easier way, but it only works if the positions are few per map as each position needs another event there

the second way is to attach a common event to an item (the camera) and whenever the item is used, the common event checks the current position and gets its region ID (control variable and get location info) and then determines based on the region ID what to do.
This will require you to handle variables in the event, something a lot of the younger people using RM have problems with.

Skwis

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
You're right, it would be easier to use events. I have a good understanding of how events work so I can make the quest work correctly with them. I was only hoping I could avoid copying and pasting the same event a couple dozen times for the region of the map where a good/bad photo would occur.

I'll do that for now, and then look up tutorials for how to use variables and region checks and if I get the quest working correctly with those I'll update this thread.

Thank you both!

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have no advice to offer but just want to say this is such a cool idea!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

image_2021-06-13_213812.png

Todays Lesson: Tiles are a pain to make xD
The game is not even 2% complete, but i just wanted to release something for funsies. :)
It's on my google drive.
It would be awesome if i could get a couple ideas and the like!
So yesterday Dad took me to Volcano Bay, and it was almost ruined by a thunderstorm... then it passed by and the lightning warning got lifted, leading to an awesome time sliding and swimming. Hopefully we get to go to the arcade tonight. The one we're planning on has a restaurant built in with AWESOME food. Not to mention how big the arcade itself is!
image_2021-06-13_150033.png

Maybe I'll actually try making a retro pack. Already have the shark fin made so why not xD
Hey everyone, for everybody following along with my RPG Maker MZ streams: There will unfortunately not be a stream tonight. There is a big exciting event that will go live next week that has been taking all my time, so look forward to that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StShiner