Rhino

~Inactive~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here's a really simple way to animate a bust in any Maker!

Step 1: Create your blinking images.
To keep the size down, I recommend having the eyes on their own, so you can just layer them ontop of your bust graphic, rather than using the full image each time.

E.g.
1.png

The images are all the same size, so when called in-game, it'll fit ontop of Dilara's bust without any adjustments.
You can have as many frames as you'd like, but I'd recommend having 3 (open eyes, half-open eyes and closed eyes.) To keep it simple for this tut, I'm only going to use two.

Step 2: Showing the bust in game.
Set up your first event. Use a "Show picture" command to show the bust. By default, all images are drawn behind the textbox, so the only thing you have to edit is where the picture is located.
3.png

PROTIP FOR MV/VX ACE: Use an picture positing utility to easily find the co-ordinates of your picture. Grab it here: MV VX Ace

Add your show text commands and anything else you want in your cutscene to this event.

Step 3:
Blink Event
Create a new event and set the trigger to parallel. Use the show picture command to show blinking animation. Make sure your eyes use a different picture ID number to your bust.
2.png (Although it may seem unnecessary for a fast blink, having a wait command between the closed eyes and re-opened eyes is essential. Without it, the images will change so fast that it will look like your character isn't blinking at all.)

PROTIP: If you're making several cutscenes with the same characters, make this event in a common event instead, to save you from having to re-add this every scene.

To control when the eyes will appear, set a condition on this event, eg a switch. In your first event with all the text, set your switch to be on, and when the cut scene is over, set it to turn off to remove the eyes.

And, that's all! Hope it helped a little! It's a simple but powerful way to bring life to your characters. You can also use this method to create talking mouths, animated expressions and whatever else you can imagine.

gif.gif

Extras:
Why is my image 'flickering' between blinks?
RPG Maker loads each image when they appear for the first time, so you might notice a little gap where your image is missing, before it shows up. To avoid this problem, use a script or plugin to load all your images before they appear. For MV, I recommend using YSP-Preloader which lets you load the images either all before the title screen, or as you enter a new map.

How can I create a smooth transition/fade in the bust?
You can do this by creating using a move picture command. Show your bust at Opacity 0, then use the move picture command and change it back to 255. You can adjust the duration of the fade to make it short and sweet, or smooth and slow. Just remember to do the same with your eyes, else your bust will fade in eyeless!
4.png

For MV users, you can make life easier by grouping images together. You'll need this plugin by King Gerar. With it, you can group multiple picture IDs together using a plugin command, and then you'll only need one move picture command to control them all. It ensures your pictures all move together, and will make life easier if you need to go back and make adjustments!

[For MV] This is cool, but what about talking animations?
In order to time animations to the message window, you'll need a plugin. This one by Astfgl66 is great for bust animations, and so much more! Check out the video I've made in the thread for a demo and tutorial on how to use it.

Where did you get the pictures in your examples?
The image is from MV's cover art pack, a paid dlc, and the blinking effect is something I made very quickly using photoshop.

Last edited:

feckyeslife

Sleepy Cat Mom
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Super clever! Thanks for posting :kaohi:

Nightblade50

Developer of "Delta Origins"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey, this looks cool. How did you make the eyes? You said you made it with Photoshop, but how exactly did you do it using Photoshop?
(BTW, I have MV Cover Art Characters DLC.)

Rhino

~Inactive~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Thomas Smith This method will work for most images, and can be done in any image editing software that can save transparency, e.g not Microsoft paint, but a free alternative to Photoshop such as GIMP will also work! Background experience in graphics is useful, but is not necessary as this is a pretty simple edit :)

To start, I use the lasso tool to trace around the eyes and eyebrow, and make a duplicate of it on a new layer.

Then I return to the original layer, and use the brush tool to colour over the eyes and make our 'blank' background image.

Next, I duplicate the open eye layer. Using a combination of the lasso, brush and eraser, I create a half-open eye by moving the eyelids inwards, towards the middle of the eye. I also lower the eyebrow slightly, to give the impression of the skin around the eye moving. Pay close attention to the shading and surrounding areas to make sure they're staying intact.

Time for our closed eye! I follow the same steps as before. To check the position of the eyelid, I lower the opacity of the layer and compare it to the original eye. We'd like it to be about halfway down.

Photoshop has a timeline feature, which I use to double check the animation and make sure I'm happy with it or make adjustments as necessary. It's okay if it looks a little rough when zoomed in, being such a short and sweet animation, people are unlikely to notice the roughness when they're seeing the whole thing in game. This is also why I suggest keeping the animation to three frames, as extra ones are more work and don't really have that much impact on the overall look, unless you wanted to have a really slow blink where three frames might appear too choppy.

And here's the result!

This method sticks to the shape of the eye, meaning the blink has an upwards curve that gives a cheerful impression. For a more neutral or downwards facing curve as in Dilara's example, I redrew the eye on a new layer using the brush tool and colour picker to make sure it matched. Doing that requires a bit more fine tuning, and mostly depends on how detailed your artwork is. The simpler the style, the easier it is to match to.

If you're having trouble getting it to look right, I recommend really zooming into the face and having a look at the surrounding shading and such, then trying to replicate that in your new eye, but again, it doesn't have to be perfect.

Hope this helps. :kaoluv:

Nightblade50

Developer of "Delta Origins"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Thomas Smith This method will work for most images, and can be done in any image editing software that can save transparency, e.g not Microsoft paint, but a free alternative to Photoshop such as GIMP will also work! Background experience in graphics is useful, but is not necessary as this is a pretty simple edit :)

To start, I use the lasso tool to trace around the eyes and eyebrow, and make a duplicate of it on a new layer.

Then I return to the original layer, and use the brush tool to colour over the eyes and make our 'blank' background image.

Next, I duplicate the open eye layer. Using a combination of the lasso, brush and eraser, I create a half-open eye by moving the eyelids inwards, towards the middle of the eye. I also lower the eyebrow slightly, to give the impression of the skin around the eye moving. Pay close attention to the shading and surrounding areas to make sure they're staying intact.

Time for our closed eye! I follow the same steps as before. To check the position of the eyelid, I lower the opacity of the layer and compare it to the original eye. We'd like it to be about halfway down.

Photoshop has a timeline feature, which I use to double check the animation and make sure I'm happy with it or make adjustments as necessary. It's okay if it looks a little rough when zoomed in, being such a short and sweet animation, people are unlikely to notice the roughness when they're seeing the whole thing in game. This is also why I suggest keeping the animation to three frames, as extra ones are more work and don't really have that much impact on the overall look, unless you wanted to have a really slow blink where three frames might appear too choppy.

And here's the result!

This method sticks to the shape of the eye, meaning the blink has an upwards curve that gives a cheerful impression. For a more neutral or downwards facing curve as in Dilara's example, I redrew the eye on a new layer using the brush tool and colour picker to make sure it matched. Doing that requires a bit more fine tuning, and mostly depends on how detailed your artwork is. The simpler the style, the easier it is to match to.

If you're having trouble getting it to look right, I recommend really zooming into the face and having a look at the surrounding shading and such, then trying to replicate that in your new eye, but again, it doesn't have to be perfect.

Hope this helps. :kaoluv:
Thank you, it helped a lot!

starlight dream

Loving life...One dream at a time
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
EN, EL, FR
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wonderful tutorial and easy to understand. I loved your image editing example that you posted yesterday!
:kaoluv: Thank you so much!

Powerise

Fulltime Freelancer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Very helpful and easy to understand, Thanks!
I just make blinking sprite buat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Finally! I've been puzzling over why it wasn't working for two days now. Turns out all of my calculations were correct, I just forgot to give some events hitboxes. :kaoswt: Now my randomly generated maps check for collision errors, and move stuff around in real time if they finds any. :LZSexcite:
Ami
--- OP Candy ---

Kids: Trick Or Treat!
Hero: Alright,here's the Candies (Give A Bunch Of Candy).
Kids: Thank you,Mister! (Running)
Hero: How cute they are…
F.Archer: Did you give them a OP Candy,accidently?
Hero: Huh?
Halloween, a day where kids are encouraged to take candy from strangers.
Stream will be live shortly with a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!
Took a break from spriting dinosaurs to carve a dinosaur pumpkin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry90