Making a custom Battle Script for MV

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by redspark, Oct 21, 2015.

1. redspark

redspark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Perhaps this can't be answered now due to NDA but later when MV is released this Friday.  I'm considering creating a Tactical Card-based Battle System.  However, I'd like to know how deep into the engine one has to go to decouple the current battle system and introduce your own.  What is involved with creating a custom Battle System? Or what would be the best way to go about doing that?  Will one of the additional scripts help?  Can they be used as a guide or modified?  Thanks.

2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    From my own experience from Ace, I prefer making the battle system from the ground up (at least for the scene). As in I scrapped the whole Scene_Battle thing.

But anyway, making a battle system either from scratch or from modifying the existing one takes a lot of time. Especially if your battle system will involve a lot of changes.

I don't think it will be any easier for MV.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2015
    redspark and ?????? like this.
  3. DarknessFalls

DarknessFalls Rpg Maker Jesus - JS Dev. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Battle systems are hard thing to work with and hard things to create. They require touching of the core system and making a lot of choices. A lot of the scripts I make will probably play off a battle system in play just so some of the work is done for me :D

redspark likes this.
  4. redspark

redspark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I wonder if there is going to be a good explanation of the core JGSS (or whatever it is called) objects / classes in the help files.  Or will we have to comb through the code ourselves?  As long as it is well commented, I don't mind code.  But I would prefer some good documentation.  

5. DarknessFalls

First Language:
    English
    Thats what the community lacks the most, mind you I haven't seen the new scripts for the game, but I bet they wont be that  documented. I find peoples variables names, method names and so on to be a joke some times because its not descriptive as to what it does, so it leaves you guessing.

Any ways, I would like to see what kind of battle system you come up with :D

redspark likes this.
  6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If your battle system is completely different to the default, making it from scratch would be easier than trying to modify the one that's already there.

Use Ace as a guide - the process would be the same, if you take out the language used.

As far as documentation, MV is like Ace. Practically nil documentation within the scripts themselves, with all the class definitions included in the help file.

redspark likes this.
  7. DarknessFalls

First Language:
    English
    Making it from scratch also allows you to learn about the system, its ins and outs and its flaws and traits.

redspark likes this.
  8. redspark

redspark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ok.  It sounds like I will be waiting until Friday to get my copy and then see how nasty it is. :)   Hopefully, there will be enough to go on.  I wasn't big into Ruby but I was able to paw my way through RGSS.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2015
  9. DarknessFalls

First Language:
    English
    this time around things should be easier to do :D

redspark likes this.