Making a Cyberpunk styled game and finding little free resources

Discussion in 'Resource Requests' started by shadowraid5, Aug 6, 2019.

1. shadowraid5

shadowraid5 Veteran Veteran

I'm without a job or money and i'm trying to fix that by making a game. I'm trying to make it to the best of my ability, but without money it's very difficult to find resources of any kind.

Does anyone know where I can look? And please no "Go get a job you bum" comments, I've had so many say that to me already.

2. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There are a lot of free resources in the various resource sections of this site. I'd suggest starting there, but at the same time, as you may have surmised, making a game with anything but default resources is going to be difficult without purchasing some assets from the store or commissioning your own for money. There are times people will open up workshops where they take free requests, but they are usually small in nature, so getting a full tileset from something like that would be near impossible.

If you can, scrape together some money over time and start building your collection of assets from the web store/Steam so you can work on your game. You can use the default assets are a starting point and placeholders until you have what you need.

Starbird_Resources likes this.
  3. Restart

Restart Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  4. shadowraid5

This is my issue, I'm trying to get this off the round so I can 1) start my dream career as a game designer(gotta start somewhere right?) and 2) be able to scrape up money because I've been failing at finding even a simple counter job at a fast food joint, or and 3) Prove to my family that their way of life they're trying to force on me doesn't work in this day an age. (Trying to teach them that when everything else fails, sometimes you gotta take that leap of faith risk over sticking with security and safety)

5. Restart

Restart Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you're serious about making money off of game dev, you're gonna want to get proof as soon as possible - hypothetically getting sales a few years out isn't going to be good at convincing other people that you have the chops.

So, what you should probably do is start with some commission work on your game-related talents to build up a portfolio. What are you good at?

Drawing art or composing music on commission isn't super glamorous, but it *absolutely* can help you get the ball rolling (The current Big Name Indie RPG Dev, Toby Fox, got the money to make Undertale almost entirely on the strength of his musical chops).

$10 and $20 paypal commissions aren't gonna be a lot, but once you're established you can get higher dollar commissions and move onto a patreon.

If you're more on the programming end rather than artistic, well, you're competing against *Yanfly* here, it'll be hard to make a splash by showing off your programming skills, but hey, there are commissions on this forum too, and transitioning into a patreon is a proven method of getting some amount of money.

Even if it's only twenty dollars, being able to point to it and say 'yes, I made some money off my art' is the first step.

6. Starbird_Resources

Starbird_Resources Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    my two cents: go get a part time job in whatever you can find. you're going to need some money to start out in gamedev. whether it's game assets, plugin or art commissions, or buying steam keys or copies of programs for your team, you'll need some funds to get things moving.

i'm guessing you're young, so it's natural to want to take risks instead of seeking security. but hedging is always smart. you can do a bit of both.

oh, but to be helpful and actually address your question, i remember that Cyanide had some really good cyberpunk tiles that were free. i don't know if they're still available, but have a look around. her tiles are AWESOME.

Dezue likes this.
  7. shadowraid5

I'm 25, still living with parents who don't believe in helping their child with being a proper adult. No car, no income and they won't help, they believe that helping is not teaching self reliance.

So you're saying that I should put what i'm doing on the side and find commission work because otherwise I won't be making money because i'll be too small of a name for people to want to buy?

I've thought about commission work, but the issue is, I don't think i'm good enough artist, I don't have programs for music composition(not to mention i'm not trained in any instruments myself), and I haven't done any actually programming since highschool and I graduated in 2012, i've been so stressed and caught between wanting to find a way to make income my way because my parents way failed and them pressuring me to keep going at it their way while they call it my fault for failing to find "A proper job" when I've done everything I could. Figured it was time I just blow them off and start up trying to get my foot in the door for game designing. All my friends support my decision and know I got the chops for it. But they're the only ones who support it, everyone else calls my ignorant and tells me I should just give up and settle down.

A friend told me I should sell my idea to an actual game developer, but if I did that I wouldn't feel like it would be my game anymore, just my idea. Not to mention the dev most likely wouldn't want to agree to have it done my way.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2019
  8. Restart

Restart Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    All this stuff - doing art, music, and programming - is part of the gamedev process. Don't think of it as sidelining your game, because if you want to make a good game you'll *need* for at least one of those three to be excellent quality, and for a *great* game you'll need at least two of the three.

Since you don't have a budget to hire someone highly skilled (and the baseline for a cheap and competent pixel artist is 20/hour), you'll need to either acquire those skills yourself, or earn that budget some other way. Doing commissions helps you on both ends. If you want to become a good pixel artist, well, as you've seen, there isn't a cyberpunk tileset for sale up on the RPGMaker website. Make art commissions your short-term project, and make that tileset your long-term project. Once you have a game-ready tileset, you can sell it in the rpgmaker store for money, and also use it in your own game.

If you want to try to get by purely on your writing alone (without art, music, or programming skill), the fastest way to start making money is something like writing short fiction and tossing it up on amazon, and maybe then doing something in Ren'Py. But those markets are even more saturated. Or write and submit a new story every day to daily science fiction https://dailysciencefiction.com/submit/story/formatting - eventually you'll write something they like, and they pay SFWA guild rates.

Whatever path you decide to take, make sure you have concrete achievements along the way that you can point to. Show off your published stories, or your paid commissions, or your finished tilesets.

9. shadowraid5

See the problem is, i'm not establish or have a name in any of that. And I have quite a few friends who are commission artists and they have told me that getting anywhere in it is a massive time sink and doesn't get you far. They barely make enough to pay their rents and it took them a long time to even get cash flow coming in. Plus I only have photoshop elements 8 to do any kind of art work anyhow. Not to mention that the minute my parents would find out I'd be doing that type of stuff, they'd most likely force me to stop and "find a proper job" because I've talked to them about an online work from hope job and they told me they will not allow it.

it's all why i'm trying to jump on this now, because my parents are very negative about my choices. They want me to get a job that allows me to leave the house and have financial security and to stop wanting to dream about a bigger life. They want me safe, and anything that is more of a risk than a safe path is a no for them and they'll find a way to shut it down, even if it's a straight "No" I'm extremely desperate to eventually live my dream because I want to entertain people with games and stories and (on the side) try to show the community that not all developers are greedy money-makers. like, my big inspiration was Satoru Iwata when I was growing up.

10. MadRamDesigns

MadRamDesigns Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The dynamic with your family sounds...complicated. Are there any maker spaces, coding workshops, meetup groups or internet-cafe like places you could just go during the day to work on stuff? know of any gamejam events or networking conventions in your area?

Have you started any of your project? You can still make a playable game with RTP standins; get the coding and basic problem solving done, then fill in the desired assets when you have the artistic or monetary means to do so. Like you said, you have to start somewhere. If you participate and be active in the community, if you show can bring something to the table other than 'ideas' you might be able to get someone help in project recruitment.

And PSE8 is more than enough to do rpgmaker art. Really all you need is a mouse and any art software that can handle multiple layers and that exports png. Heck, I started doing professional work with gimp 4-5 versions ago and a then 10year old computer.

11. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A few thoughts of my own here: I came from a family that had little money and I knew it as they were willing to let me see the books and how much they made and how much everything cost once I was old enough to understand it, so I knew once I hit 18 I was on my own more or less as they just didn't have the $$$ to give me unless it was maybe an emergency bus ticket home. I had no car but was going to college (covered via scholarship) and had to earn my spending money myself. It wasn't easy and I had to bike more than 5 miles each way to my job sometimes but it was doable (and I actually once walked the entire distance too. Took over an hour one way).

The reason I mention that is you may need to find an outside job still just to have some $$$ to hire people for your game. From what I read, you may have to walk it until you can get a bike, then bike it. It *will* not be easy, and there were days when I had a day off I didn't want to do anything, but it can be done.

On another note, game dev is a terrible option if you want to make enough money to live off of these days, unless you live in a country where cost of living is very low. In 2014 if you got your game on Steam you could usually get 100,000 - 200,000 sales of it, even if it was garbage. In 2016 - 2017 that changed to 1000 - 5000 copies on average. Now there are indie devs who have reported they have sold 9 copies of their game on Steam...ever. And no, that is not a typo, 9 entire copies. Even if you sold them at $59.99 after Steam's cut and taxes (and yes, you got to pay taxes on that too), you would make about $270 in the end, if you are lucky.

Sadly, books are no better. I wrote a book and just checked my sales totals this morning and I've sold around 85 copies now since I released it in January 2017. All markets are saturated, and it is hard anywhere, which you will need to know and understand as you may need a backup plan or two. For instance, my back up plan was I got a job first, then made the game in my spare time. Took longer, but the bills are paid still. And if I prove the exception then I can go into game making full time if I wish, but I got a plan B too.

Side note: I do wish your parents would let you do a work from home option, as if you find a legit one it can pay much more than an outside job. I say that as I work from home online and make about 3x minimum wage in my country in the end.

Edit: *Moderator hat on now* I merged a couple of your posts together too as you did double post up there earlier, which is when you post a post directly below yourself and no one else has replied and 72 hours has not passed, and we do ask you to not do that. I imagine it happened due to the way the quote feature works, which is why we suggest you @ the person instead, as you can do multiple of those easily in one post.

12. shadowraid5

I can walk, but I live in a small small town and I tried to look into jobs outside of town with walking. Closest place was 2-2 1/2 hour walk which isn't bad, but they wouldn't accept me because of becoming sweaty on the way in and having to wear a uniform. Plus they told me that in the winter time it would be dangerous for me to walk that distance and they don't want to risk that.

This sounds a lot like what others have told me. "TL;DR, quit what you're dreaming because it's not worth your time at all and will only end in failure"

My parents are from the 60s, father grew up on a farm, mother grew up in the city but both were taught "Hard work and little risk leads to success, if your hard work doesn't give you success then you should be working harder" and "Who cares if you don't like your job, we all do things we don't like, at least you're getting paid"

I am trying to start my project now, key word is trying. But every time I ask for advice or help it's always the same old things:

"Get a proper job ya bum!"

"You're not going to get anywhere on free"

"What you're trying to do is a pipe-dream"

And I can't go to events, nor workshops, nor anything. I live in a small town and I don't have any transportation. No car, no money for bus and no bus stops in my town. The resident bussing for my county(live in the USA) deems my town too small for public transit stops.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2019
  13. MadRamDesigns

MadRamDesigns Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oof, with those limitations not sure what sort of 'proper job' they expect you to even get...
    The modern mantra is 'work smarter, not harder' a decent work from home job shouldn't get push back. Even office jobs are opting to take advantage of remote work to save on operation costs and boost worker motivation.
    Failing that, and I do not say this with a 'give up your dreams' approach, but put your game on hold, and get whatever well-paying dreary job. Do so with the aim to save up your money and move out. For your own health and well being, move out.

Back to original topic, which rpgmaker are you using?
    I might have some scifi freebies for MV later this month, mostly B&C sheets accessory stuff; not A tiles (I plan on selling those).

14. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @shadowraid5 Please don’t double post. If you want to quote more than one person, use the Multiquote button/+Quote all posts instead. Or use the @ username method bgillisp explained above. I’ve merged your posts together this time.

As for your resource conundrum, these are some of the options I could think of:
    1. Commission an artist and/or buy resource packs.
    2. Make them yourself from scratch.
    3. Make edits of existing free resources (do make sure the terms allow edits). The things that are too hard for you, you can always request for free in our Resource Request section (bear in mind it’s only for one or two resources at a time).
    4. Make a Project Recruitment post and recruit an artist.
    5. Use default resources as placeholders and save up money in the meantime.
    6. Make a different game first. Cyberpunk isn’t a very popular genre in terms of resources as you noticed, so it might be better to start with something that is more popular.

15. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Not necessarily, but the fact is only 1 in 10 games from AAA studios were ever successful (based on interviews with the popular studios from the 80's/90's). So you have to consider the odds too, as well as the reality of the market, which is what I posted earlier. That's why I suggest a plan B too while you make your game. Stubbornly going for plan A is usually a bad idea. Plus a good game takes about 100 hours per 1 hour of playtime, so you are also looking at probably 3 - 5 years to see any return on it (based on how long my game took, started June 2014 and release date is September 2019).

You might want to look up and read some interviews with independent book authors as it will give you an idea of what it is like too with that lifestyle. Many of the ideas will apply here as well. Or see if the couple of successful commercial devs will chime in on another thread (maybe start a thread about commercial game releases and the market today as this is getting a little beyond resource support)

On the flip side, do remember even the greats had failures on the way. J K Rowling was rejected by many publishers for her Harry Potter book. The Beatles were told no one wants to listen to that kind of music. Edison failed many times while making a light bulb. The Wright Brothers were told if man was meant to fly God would have given us wings. So there will be failures and nay sayers on the way too. You'll have to decide though if you can and should ignore then. But you got to also be realistic while doing it.

Basically, expect little and hope for the world.

16. xoferew

xoferew Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I like @slimmmeiske2 's idea of going with a more popular genre. Build your skills doing that, and then you will be able to do justice to your dream game later. You can still have high standards for the first game but you're less likely to get in your own way with wanting it to be perfect and sinking into frustration about not having the ideal graphics and such. Good luck!

17. Avery

Avery Sleeping Dinosaur Restaff

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So... just to clarify:

You want people to invest (or having invested) tons of hours for free cyberpunk resources so you can make money off a game in that setting and make a living from that.
    Something does not work out here.

18. shadowraid5

Are you saying another way of saying "Go get a job you lazy bum?" Because it definitely sounds like that with this comment. I'm simply trying to do whatever I can to get income since my family isn't helping me in any way.

I couldn't even go to college for a game design degree like I planned in 2013 (Yes I know technically college doesn't mean much these days, but it still would've helped put an accomplishment on my belt) because they thought a $5500 loan was large enough to pay for a technical college degree for game design. I knew better than that and had argument over argument with them over it, I even told them about how their niece was going into debt for chef and business management degrees from the same college. Colleges purposely make their loans as low as possible.

Plus making a game would also put an accomplishment under my belt too. This is my last resort because I can barely even find a job online or one I can work at home even my parents are against it.

19. xoferew

xoferew Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It seems like you can make your own life choices and take the risks that make you happy about schooling, loans, career, etc. OR you can live in your parents' home and accept their financial support. Unfortunately those things don't seem compatible from your description. You can't change your parents or get them to take on financial risk they don't choose to. I wish you luck!

20. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    To be a game developer is working with what you have. Limitations breed creativity etc. You're looking for cyberpunk resources since it's lacking, why are you starting with cyberpunk? Work with something that you can get. Because you have no job/funding makes this even more important to consider! Pick up a related skill, programming specifically in your case if you haven't already. Because at least that's related to your goal and you can start getting commissions.

Also, if you're planning to sell games, how are you going to get 100 USD to put it in Steam direct? You might want to look at government fundings around your area.