Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi! This is my first tutorial so I may not be able to explain things very well. This one is very easy to set up, once one understands the use of common events, variables and switches but I’ll still post this here in case someone has a hard time figuring out how to implement it.

Edit May 15th, 2020:
New Demo!
You can study how this demo was made and learn how to event a flashlight system.
Enjoy!

Last edited:

ddblue

新人
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello! I really love this method and hope to use it myself.

I've got it all in place without issue, but I was curious - is there a way to link it to player steps instead of frames?
Depending on a players monitor or settings, frame rate can vary quite a bit, but steps are pretty universal.

Anyway, I was just curious.

Thanks again for this tutorial!

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ddblue I'm happy to know that you found this tutorial helpful. The reason I used frames was because I wanted to give the battery a life I.e the battery can die after particular time of usage. If we used steps, them it wouldn' work. Because, suppose, the player is standing in one place for quite some time. But the flashlight is on. Will the battery life be consumed? No. Because the batter's life is linked to th players steps. That didnt seem ok to me so I used frames instead. Though frame rates can vary in different computers, the overall playtime will remain constant because if frame rate is less, the game will run slow and if it' high,it'll run fast. Similarly, the battey life will exhaust slowly or faster depending on the speed the game runs in. That means,it' pretty much constant. That' Why I used frames. Well... This answer is pretty big but I hope you understand now. :)

ddblue

新人
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you very much for clarifying :)

RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Intense stuff, Hyouryuu! Though I'm using a torch system for my WIP game, it's still what I need to have torches that can be expended over time when entering the dungeon. Otherwise, I feel a lantern and lamp-oil system could work in place of a flashlight and batteries. Am working on a spiritual successor to the classic Wizardry CRPGs, heheh. :p

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Intense stuff, Hyouryuu! Though I'm using a torch system for my WIP game, it's still what I need to have torches that can be expended over time when entering the dungeon. Otherwise, I feel a lantern and lamp-oil system could work in place of a flashlight and batteries. Am working on a spiritual successor to the classic Wizardry CRPGs, heheh. :p
I'm glad you liked the tutorial. This method can be used for lamps and oil too ^^ and I think it's definitely possible to make torches used up over time. Perhaps it's easier than this because the batteries part was pretty complex haha. Good luck with your game! :D

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi! I just started using RMMV and I'm kinda new to this. Your tutorial has been really helpful, unfortunately, I can't seem to make it work. The flashlight doesn't appear in the player's inventory once he aqcuired it.

Oh, and now I've been getting an error : Cannot read property 'clearLightBatlers' or undefined

Last edited:

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello! I haven't worked with this flashlight system for a long time. So even I forgot how I did it. ^^; But I'll look at the events and see how it was made. But the flashlight is supposed to appear in the inventory. Can you send me screenshots of the events? Or I can send you a demo. Yeah, I think that will be better.

About the error, I don't think the engine will show an error like that? It's most likely caused by the lighting plugin you're using. I will post the demo here after I make it. You can study it and see how things work.

A demo has been added. Please see that instead of the old tutorial.

Last edited:

aniaaous

lazy potato
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yep, The link is down!

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I sorta deleted it from my computer along with a ton of others to make space.
I'll reupload once I've made a newer project.

Last edited:

aniaaous

lazy potato
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
french
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I sorta deleted from my computer along with a ton of others to make space.
I'll reupload once I've made a newer project.
Thanks a lot, ^^ And take as much time as you need just reply here when you update the link:kaoluv:

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No problem. Don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any ^^

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

It's a Spanish devlog don't get scared!.
Just read the forum rules just for kicks and rule 14 reminds me of this:
150.jpg
I'm in the process of converting all locks and intimidate/persuade dialogue options into D20 DC based success/fail (modified by player skill). Before, it required a certain flat amount you had to meet, but with rolls, it offers more freedom. For instance, you can repeatedly try to unlock a door instead of just not meeting the requirement to unlock it.
Since we get very close: If you want to enjoy the advent calendar as it is intended, wait til your date and the day in the URL line up, so you have the final day on actual christmas and not the day before... time zones ;3
1638170340913.png
Crossover Inn is getting very crowded, and I love it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santii