Tech

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Nobody seems to like playing as a support class. It seems to be more like playing as the team waterboy, running around with a tray of snacks while everyone else has fun. What are some ways we could make support classes more enjoyable?

For example, I had thought of a variant Necromancer who uses life-draining abilities to power an aura that grants buffs to their allies. Any thoughts? Any other ideas? And is this the best place to put this thread?

Bendyizzt

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I don't really understand...as in a kind of bar place?

Tech

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't really understand...as in a kind of bar place?
No, nobody mentioned a bar or a place. "How do we make the Support Party Member as satisfying to play as any other class?" Nothing about bars.

Bendyizzt

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Oh, then that explains everything...sorry... :eswt:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
It seems to be more like playing as the team waterboy, running around with a tray of snacks while everyone else has fun.
Here is the question. Why not join the fun?
You can make a support role class that also dealing damage.

Tech

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well yes, but that's the thing: How do we tie it back to the class' strength?

gabrieldiastche

Gabriel Dias
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't like to work with this old stereotype characters I like to make like a "combination" character like in Final Fantasy X that basically every character in the beginning has 2 jobs, like Tidus is a Warrior/Time Mage, Wakka is a Archer with some debuffs, Lulu is the elemental mage and the character with most evasion, and that keeps going... I think this kind of character like focused on just something isn't a lot useful anymore unfortunaly.

Bendyizzt

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Sorry, if I do not understand this right but can't 'support class' like a healer, or are those two diffrent things?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well yes, but that's the thing: How do we tie it back to the class' strength?
The simplest solution is, you deal damage while doing support.
For example, you deal damage that also recovers all party member's HP.
Or, recover allies HP first, then deal damage based on the party member's HP.
Or, you deal damage while buffing the party members.
Or, gain a buff that massively increases attack after heal a party member.

Personally, when designing a class, I always think that every class is basically a DPS class but also has a second role. A DPS that tanks. A DPS that buffs. A DPS that also debuff. etc.

Froggo32

Wait, you can give yourself a custom title?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I, honestly, like support classes. I've always liked things where characters deals little damage but they're really helpful in other way. Don't ask me why, I just like it OwO If I ever played a MMORPG where I could choose my class, I'd be Healer with one or two attacks
I think that...uh...you could make a class/character who have a specified class Healer/SP Healer, but they can deal powerful damage with one of their attacks (but they have to use lots of SP/TP to do it) and they aren't attacking much because of their great power that they can't handle well? But when they're needed, they unleash their strongest attack. One or two is fine, as long as they actually can deal any damage.

Tech

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sorry, if I do not understand this right but can't 'support class' like a healer, or are those two diffrent things?

Support classes usually heal; they can often give out buffs and debuffs too. They bolster the other characters in some way. They just often end up being unapreciated for it.

alice_gristle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dunno, honey... if ya think support stuff is gutless and boring, how 'bout making it OP? Like, yo support person has buffs that make their targets invincible, or increase attack power tenfold, or grant a crazy counter-attack ability. You'd hafta tweak yo game balance accordingly so yo game wouldn't get too boring... Like maybe all the party's attackers are kinda sucky without the support person? Or summat.

Another thing I can think of is if yo support person has abilities that are totally bonkers. Like, they have spells that affect the whole battlefield: everybody (players and enemies) gets fire vulnerability! Then you'd exploit the altered situation with yo other guys. Or everybody's attack becomes sealed. Or everybody gets physical attack immunity. Or... summat. :biggrin:

Ooor... maybe yo supporter has skills that, like, polymorph yo enemies... and/or your own dudes? Or maybe polymorph is a bit too much to program. But maybe they have like... skills that transform other players or enemies? Like, they can turn yo dudes into fire-resisting drakelings temporarily? And maybe you could use that same skill on enemies, to buff them into drakelings... and the kicker is, the drakelings are also weak to cold, so you could then spam yo ice spells on the newly-vulnerable enemy.

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
Suikoden II manage to make support role (Hero's Bright Shield Rune = mainly healing based) as Main Character...

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Upgrading from VX Ace to MV has gone from a cute suggestion to outright required.

Things can only go up from here - I kinda hated being constrained to 640x480 resolution. :LZSwink:
Now that I have linklists on large trees and cars, is there any theme that would interest you?
Debugging multiplayer issues... I'm having fun, right?
yay_streaming.jpg

For just starting streaming on the 10th... Definitely not the worst. :LZScheeze:

Granted I need 333.34 hours a month on average to achieve money. So I don't really expect that, but it sure has helped my game dev go much faster.
Proud on how this map turned out.

FnmhDLIXgAAOvIC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dicehhw