Making a game together with Twitch chat? Ideas?

fallenlorelei

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello! I used to be kinda active in this community, made a few super obsolete-by-now tutorials for RPG Maker, then disappeared. Now I'm a vtuber and go by LoriVT on Twitch! I've got the "itch" again to make something with RPG Maker, but I'd love to do it together with my chat! I wanted to ask the community: have you ever made a game with a community (for example, maybe Drifty has done this before?) How was it set up? Did you use Twitch extensions?

I'm thinking we could make the game through a combination of polls, extensions for clicking on the screen (it shows a hotspot of where people click, and gives results similar to a poll), and this extension for creating stories together.

Do you guys have other ideas on making it work?

Thanks!!

(Shameless plug: I stream Mondays and Thursdays, 7:30pm EST! I think this Thursday the 29th is when I'll start making the game with everyone if you want to come)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
HawkZombie Did that actually a couple years ago and made a game called Sorbetta, gravely in Debt. You can find it on Steam if you wish to see the results of that.

MushroomCake28

KAMO Studio
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Although interesting, a lot of parts of the game making process are long, tedious, and generally boring. Making the battle, the story and the characters, and even maps, might be fun, but doing the database for instance can be much less exciting. Perhaps working on the boring non-game changing stuff can be done outside of streams?

Also, I do remember you and your tutorial videos. They are what got me started with parallax mapping :p

fallenlorelei

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
HawkZombie Did that actually a couple years ago and made a game called Sorbetta, gravely in Debt. You can find it on Steam if you wish to see the results of that.
Thank you!! I'm gonna look that up. I wonder if there are youtube clips from the time he was making that.

Edit: There are!! It looks like he just made the game over stream. I assume chat helped him out along the way, though!

Although interesting, a lot of parts of the game making process are long, tedious, and generally boring.
I agree, it can get boring! But as a streamer, you make it interesting. A big part of vtubing is "just chatting" but also being professional enough to gauge what is good content, and what isn't. Chat interactivity = good content. So when that dwindles, I'll have to do some stuff behind-the-scenes. Not a problem though!!

And yaay I'm so glad you remember me! That's so cool!! :D I'm glad you got into parallax mapping!

Sparky89

Is proberly eating one of evmaster's Brownie's.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Best to do the database off screen except character creation you can really involve the community with this. maby even powers ! but items i would have them ready to go... and explain youve done so in the background etc.. some people make questions in a previous video of what idea's your viewers may have.. and then in the next stream you call em out and implement it with the current viewers adding to it etc.

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@fallenlorelei Omg, you're back! I'd follow anything u got going, so go for it lol. I think parts of the game dev process can be live-streamed, but as others have mentioned there are aspects of RPG Maker that's probably too tedious/boring for a live audience.

Sparky89

Is proberly eating one of evmaster's Brownie's.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do put up a link/schedule on here so we can follow too ! it be interesting to see it's amazing how people can do things differantly !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Once again working on a game I'm not sure I'm going to sell or even publish
That feel when you're awake past midnight and suddenly you're one year older :ninja:
I miss collaborations, but I don't know how to find someone to make face parts just to share them with others, and even though I don't like writing or music, I can't trust anyone with writing on my game because it has themes that are easy to mess up, and music needs a clear tone and scenes.
People donating to me for my upcoming birthday so I can pay my team a little. Such angels, I'm so happy. T uT I smile so much my face hurts. Good souls in this world.
Playing Ragnarok Online again is very nostalgic. The last time I played it was 20 years ago, when I was ten-twelve old.
My first mmorpg.^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dashstop