l8rose

Perpetually Exhausted
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This tutorial covers creating a movable wall as seen in the following brief video.

Designed For: Rpg Maker MV
Requirements: RPg Maker MV, Orange Mapshot and an Editing Program

Using events and a slightly over large image, you can easily create a moving wall event. It does involve a small bit of editing but you can get some pretty nifty looking wall puzzles for it. This tutorial will cover the basics of how to make one.

Starting out, you will need two things. An editing program that allows you to use grids (I use photoshop so not sure if this will work in GIMP but I believe it does) and Orange Mapshot (or something similar). You will need to set your grid to 48 by 48 which you can change under your preferences. You can try doing it without a grid but it will be a lot harder.

Once you have Mapshot and grids set, it's very easy to get the basics of your moving wall created. We'll start with the graphics portion of the tutorial before moving on to the eventing.

Creating the Wall

Step One:

Simply make a wall/room you want to move with the basics of the area around it. You don't have to worry about getting fancy as you won't be using most of the image. I would say don't even bother adding decorations because again, the wall portion is the main thing here.

For the basics of this tutorial, I went with a very simple room. Using Mapshot, I have a 1:1 version of that map. Which I cropped a little for the purposes of this tutorial but it ended up looking basically like this:

blankroom.png

And this is what it looks like with a 48x48 grid enabled in photoshop.

blankroom2.png

You don't need to use pink but as I had a black background on the room, I needed something to make it really easy to see where the edges of the walls are. This is actually super important as you need to know where the edges match up or you will end up with some funky looking walls (kind of like mine in the video up above which I didn't notice until I started this tutorial :kaoswt: ).

Step Two:
Using the rectangle select tool, select everything that would be facing the player from the leading wall edge. Be sure to keep it within the block or else you won't get a perfect match inside RPG Maker.

To make this one easy, I decided to go with the wall moving to the right. So that means I don't need all the room on the left side of the wall. Another nifty trick of most editing programs is they have the ability to 'snap' so you can easily select everything to the left of the wall (down below shows how to set that up along with grids if you're unfamiliar with it). Once I have everything selected, I simply delete the unneeded stuff.

That should give you something like this:

blankroom3.png

Step Three:
Now here is where it gets a little harder and involves a little math. You will need to either copy this into a new document or to change the canvas size. Personally, I do a new document as I then have the default image as a backup but you do whatever you are most comfortable with.

Regardless, the size will need to be four times as tall and three times as wide as what you have now. So break out that calculator and take whatever height you have and adjust it by four, then do the same for width but by three. The above image ends up being 1344 high and 720 wide. Yes, that's pretty big but keep in mind, this is a moving wall event that will move several places. Be sure to change the canvas size and not the image size as that will result in a stretched version of what you're working on.

Step Four:
Now, we're going to make three new layers by duplicating the layer containing the wall. You will want to spread them out down the page so that they take up the top to bottom so that it looks like a continuous line.

blankroom4.png

It looks a little weird at this point but now that you have the vertical positioning right, we will begin adjusting the placement of the wall.

Step Five:
Depending on how much space you wanted to give, you can place these however you wanted provided you keep them within a third of the width of the image. With the size of what I'm working on for the example, that means 5 blocks of 48, leaving at least two thirds of the image blank.

I decided to start with my wall flush to the left and than spaced out the other three to make a "movement look. So that ends up looking something like this:

blankroom5.png

While this is only going to have the wall move a block at a time in MV, it will still look pretty good.

Step Six:
There is just one more thing we need to do to complete the graphics portion of the wall design. You'll notice that there is a lot of blank to the right of the the walls so you will need to fill this in with whatever you are using for the ceiling. As I have edited tiles that involve the color black, mine is pretty straight forward.

Make another layer beneath all the others and begin to select where you need the other color. You don't need to do the whole image, just up to the appropriate width to complete the image. In my case, it's the five blocks of 48. Which gives me something like this:

blankroom6.png

And you're mostly done of the graphics portion! Congrats! I say mostly done as depending on what you want, you may need to tweak the positioning a little but otherwise, this is your nice new wall graphic for the event.

Also, be sure to save this to your characters folder for your game. I used !$movingwall for sanity's sake but you can name it whatever you want. You do need to keep the !$ at the first of it (I can't quite remember which one is for what but better to be safe than sorry in this case).

Now on to the eventing.

Creating the Events

Now, I'm going to assume if you're reading this, that you know how to set up events and you completed the art part from above so this will be the barest bones of how to do this.

Step One:
When you create this event, you will need to figure out where you want to place it to match up more properly with the wall. For example, I set this event just to the bottom edge of that wall we made earlier to test out exactly where my event will end up. Here is a clip from inside RPG Maker MV on the left with how it looks when I test Play it on the right:

PoorHarold.png

Unfortunately, this made poor Harold end up in a one block width room. So, judging by the size of my event, I will need to move it over at least two blocks. Once I know that, I can start to design the rest of the moving puzzle. You will want to test how much you can hide with your wall (see the spoiler at the bottom if you need more "ceiling") and adjust accordingly.

Step One Part B:
Once you know how many blocks you can easily hide within the fake wall, you can expand out your map. I didn't show this here because it's literally just adding extra room to the right of where Harold is standing.

Step Two:
You will need several events for this but the easiest way for them all to trigger is to tie them all to a switch which can be activated by however you like (I used a switch image cause well, it feels right). All it needs to do is to set a main switch to active, you can make it however you like.

This first event is pretty straight forward. Simply make it trigger the Switch whenever the player activates it. Again, didn't show this as this is a super simple event.

Step Three:
The next series of events is to ensure that the player cannot cross over into the wall. When the switch is not triggered, they are a blank tile listed as "Same As Character" under priority. They are basically set up as follows:

blankevent.png
blankevent2.png

That is literally the easiest way to block a player from crossing over. It is tied to the switch that the player activates, just like the wall will be. As there doesn't need to be anything different, you can literally just copy and paste this event wherever you need to block the player from passing. Also super easy to make.

Step Four:
The wall is just as easy. Once you have that placement correct, you can set this up like the default doors (the movement route for the door event itself is pretty much what you need). The only thing you really need to set on the first page is the event graphic to the top most part of the wall that you made earlier. Like this:

wallevent.png

Step Four Part B:
The second page is where you will do the movement route based on the switch. This page needs to be parallel or autorun, I prefer the former. You will definitely need a wait inside the movement route but you can choose whatever fits. Without the wait inside the move route, the wall will insta-open which isn't as fun. And because it's a large object moving, I added sound to spruce mine up.

wallevent2.png

I left the third page of the event blank (but triggered by self switch A) because it really doesn't need to do anything else. The wall is already open at that point. If you use a blank graphic it will make it seem like the wall opened even further for a bonus!

A thing to note is that you must have the wall event listed as Above Characters if you plan on hiding something beneath it. Otherwise, you will get floating things.

So if you managed to follow my gibberish, you should end up with a final result that is something like this

gridExplanation.png
gridsnapto.png

You may find that you want a wider wall to cover more stuff. As the event character we created is technically a 3x4 image, you will need to add 3x48 pixels in your editing program for each additional block you want to cover in RPG Maker. So, if you want it to be 2 more blocks in RPG Maker MV, that means you need to add 288 pixels to your image. If you only have this one movable wall on it, you will also need to add additional "ceiling" so that it matches with that size.

GoodSelf

Zhu Li! Do the thing!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is a very in depth and interesting tutorial! That's for taking the time to put it together and share it with us!

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
for smoothness, you can also hide the crystal and use same as character,
and use more frames when its opening over a bit more time.

I got to say, its a very basic basis to improve and usefull for many stuff.
thank you for sharing :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

That moment when you try to figure out a color scheme for an alien ship so that it's something other than "Grey on Grey".
It's up for viewing! See what happened when EquestriAlert got tested in 1997... or was it a test? Did somepony hack the system? Or did somepony push the wrong switch? Even Adagio Dazzle (the owner of the channel) has no clue.

Can you put the pieces together? Don't worry, the game isn't over yet! There's more pieces to add on!
Why parodies are always underrated on your opinion?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notreeee