KANHA_ji

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Hindi
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey all, getting straight to the point I am a beginner and I wonder how to make TPP like battle style in RMMV (as of Pkmn) instead of side view default battles

I wanna make it like this
Pokémon_FireRed_first_battle.png
--

Phantomsurf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just asking to get a more specific idea of your vision- do you want a Pokemon battle system mechanically? Do you want the visuals? Both?

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there is demo of "Beast Masters" that uses that kind of system, while
the plugins can be modified, it needs alot of edits while the system works
smoothly, but into battle, it crashes, so it never got fixed, but its a setup
for people that want to make a pokemon system like that.

SRD has plugin for pokemon skills, and other things, so with the demo
and SRD plugins, you are mostly ready for the game like pokemon.

but you need JS knowledge to modify the plugins of Beast Masters
or find someone to pay to do that for you if you dont have knowledge.

TheouAegis

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's very easy. Keep messing around with the software. You will eventually learn how to do it after several years

Aslanemperor

Mad Scientist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It's very easy. Keep messing around with the software. You will eventually learn how to do it after several years
Or you will learn to troll the forums until someone inadvertently teaches you even though you've been using the software since it came out. Speaking of a friend, of course... Totally not me... **Whistles innocently**

KANHA_ji

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Hindi
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just asking to get a more specific idea of your vision- do you want a Pokemon battle system mechanically? Do you want the visuals? Both?
Well, both

Phantomsurf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, both
Alright. I'm going to issue you a fair warning first- the others on the thread joke about it, but they are right. Pokemon-styled games do not usually have a very successful fate in RPGMaker, especially without Pokemon Essentials. You need to be sure you can commit to a project like this.

If it's just the battle-system in terms of move usage/limited PP, the basic states, only one or two party members on a field, that's all pretty possible with base editor, some eventing, and Yanfly plugins. Switching out enemies is also pretty easy (will require variables if trainers can switch a mon out before death), but switching out the player's mons will need a plugin and require eventing for certain switch conditions (via attacks, death, etc.) Menus could be possible with some plugins but you'll have to look around for ones you want.

The monster catching stuff is an entirely different beast. There are plugins that can be cobbled together for this effect, tutorial on possible plugin usage here, but I'm not sure about all the features they have and creating the system will still require a lot of eventing. You said you're a beginner, so you'll really have to go through eventing tutorials/a lot of trial and error if you want this system.

The battle HUD is actually a bit easier. Moghunter has a battle hud plugin. In which you can recreate the visuals you want (and turn off stuff like MP bar). The issue is that you'll need to find a way to give the enemy a HUD as well, which there could be plugins to help (like Yanfly Visual HP Gauges), but you'll have to look around.

For enemy and player sprites, enemy sprites can stay static, and you can use the sideview layout to make sprites, you'll just be changing where the actors show up on the screen. You may need Action Sequences to simulate better movement, but I wouldn't worry about that until you have your basics set up.

And at the end of all of this, there's no guarantee that all of these plugins will play nice with each other... Overall, best I can say is good luck. I'll link the plugins I mentioned below. Please be sure to watch the videos and understand how they work before installing them willy-nilly.

Yanfly Core Engine (Need this for Yanfly plugins)
Yanfly Battle Engine Core (Need this for most other Yanfly battle plugins, also to limit number of actors in a battle and change actor positioning)
Yanfly Enemy Levels
Yanfly Party System
Yanfly Actor Party Switch (For switching out)
Yanfly Skill Core (Need this for plugin below)
Yanfly Limited Skill Uses (For move PP)
Moghunter Battle HUD: In his Master file

KANHA_ji

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Hindi
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alright. I'm going to issue you a fair warning first- the others on the thread joke about it, but they are right. Pokemon-styled games do not usually have a very successful fate in RPGMaker, especially without Pokemon Essentials. You need to be sure you can commit to a project like this.

If it's just the battle-system in terms of move usage/limited PP, the basic states, only one or two party members on a field, that's all pretty possible with base editor, some eventing, and Yanfly plugins. Switching out enemies is also pretty easy (will require variables if trainers can switch a mon out before death), but switching out the player's mons will need a plugin and require eventing for certain switch conditions (via attacks, death, etc.) Menus could be possible with some plugins but you'll have to look around for ones you want.

The monster catching stuff is an entirely different beast. There are plugins that can be cobbled together for this effect, tutorial on possible plugin usage here, but I'm not sure about all the features they have and creating the system will still require a lot of eventing. You said you're a beginner, so you'll really have to go through eventing tutorials/a lot of trial and error if you want this system.

The battle HUD is actually a bit easier. Moghunter has a battle hud plugin. In which you can recreate the visuals you want (and turn off stuff like MP bar). The issue is that you'll need to find a way to give the enemy a HUD as well, which there could be plugins to help (like Yanfly Visual HP Gauges), but you'll have to look around.

For enemy and player sprites, enemy sprites can stay static, and you can use the sideview layout to make sprites, you'll just be changing where the actors show up on the screen. You may need Action Sequences to simulate better movement, but I wouldn't worry about that until you have your basics set up.

And at the end of all of this, there's no guarantee that all of these plugins will play nice with each other... Overall, best I can say is good luck. I'll link the plugins I mentioned below. Please be sure to watch the videos and understand how they work before installing them willy-nilly.

Yanfly Core Engine (Need this for Yanfly plugins)
Yanfly Battle Engine Core (Need this for most other Yanfly battle plugins, also to limit number of actors in a battle and change actor positioning)
Yanfly Enemy Levels
Yanfly Party System
Yanfly Actor Party Switch (For switching out)
Yanfly Skill Core (Need this for plugin below)
Yanfly Limited Skill Uses (For move PP)
Moghunter Battle HUD: In his Master file
Hmm, you helped a lot...A big thanks

I was actually getting distracted to other type of games instead of that Pokemon - like thing, I thought of making a medieval-period set game which will be set in France, know what after your reply I thought to make the medieval one. I came up to this decision after knowing
That means that your big answer got waste...Actually NO, I am gonna use up a lot of these resources you mentioned and make an STANDING-OUT battle system

Pokemon-styled games do not usually have a very successful fate in RPGMaker, especially without Pokemon Essentials. You need to be sure you can commit to a project like this.

Meaning of this? are their development not successful
OR
those games with that battle system are not popular

Again, thank you a lot!

Phantomsurf

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm, you helped a lot...A big thanks

I was actually getting distracted to other type of games instead of that Pokemon - like thing, I thought of making a medieval-period set game which will be set in France, know what after your reply I thought to make the medieval one. I came up to this decision after knowing
That means that your big answer got waste...Actually NO, I am gonna use up a lot of these resources you mentioned and make an STANDING-OUT battle system

Meaning of this? are their development not successful
OR
those games with that battle system are not popular

Again, thank you a lot!
I'm glad I could at least help in finding your direction.

By "not successful", I meant that development wasn't successful. There's just so much content that many people don't finish mon-collecting styled games. They are beyond popular, many Pokemon-like games get known very fast. It's a beloved system. It's just hard to dedicate oneself to.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would go a step farther and say most games that set out to emulate a specific professional product don't get finished. How many abandoned development threads or vaporware demos are there for Pokémon, Dragon Quest, Phantasy Star, Suikoden, Persona, etc.?

There's a reason these products used a full, professional development team. Trying to recreate all of the material solo is a daunting task.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I might not participate in the Boss Battle contest after all... I have more important things to do, like Wishful Wanda. And of course the Dark Deception spinoff I plan to pitch, Demon Slayer.
Changed my avatar, goodbye Alan Sugar, hello George Carlin (one of my favorite human beings ever)
If you still don't subscribe our Polish channel please consider it :)
1.png
Who wants to see my review of the worst star wars movie? This movie has all the excitement of being on Jury Duty of the most boring case ever about trade negotiations.
A lot to learn to make a game. Can I handle it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krinalle