Making A Pokémon Battle System - resolved

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by SelemaChan, Feb 7, 2019.

1. SelemaChan

SelemaChan Noob Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hey!
    This is my first ever post on here - and I'm looking for help.

I am making a pokémon related game for my sister for her birthday where she is a Pokémon trainer and I wanted to make the battle system as much like Pokémon as I can but I'm a bit stuck.

I've gotten the basics out of the way - your now able to have one party member in battle at a time and able to switch the one out for other members (like switching your Pokémon in the actual games) and when you are finished the battle, your main character is the one you sti control on your map. I also made it so you can run from battles and everything goes back to how it was on your map before you went into battle (your main party member is your trainer, so when your in a battle your Pokémon are the only ones in your Party and it's only one at a time, and when you leave the battle it defaults to your trainer again)

But this is where I'm stuck - if your pokemon your using to battle dies, the game automatically ends because it thinks all your party members are dead.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can make it so if your current party member dies, it will automatically switch to a different party member instead of ending your game?

(Sorry if none of that makes any sense)

Thanks for the help in advance!

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Just a heads up for the future.
    You are likely to get more help and advice if you say in your topic title what your query is about. Everyone posting here needs help/advice, so that doesn't reveal anything useful. By referring to the pokemon battle system, anyone who doesn't know what that is will likely ignore your thread, even though what you are asking about is something much broader, which perhaps they do know about. If, however, you were to call it something like "switching battle party member on death" then it makes it clear what the subject is.

I suggest you edit your title. To do that, when you click the Edit button on your post, you need to click the 'More options...' button. That brings up the full edit screen and you can select Edit title there.

3. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  4. SelemaChan

SelemaChan Noob Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ok thank you so much! Like I said I'm very new here, just joined yesterday!

I actually managed to mess around with some scripts and the battle stuff and solved my own issue so I'm likely going to just check this off as resolved and leave it at that.

Thanks for the advice anyways!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  5. SelemaChan

SelemaChan Noob Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @SelemaChan Good that you got it sorted. What might be nice would be if you posted what your solution was. That way, if anyone else has the same problem they can see what to do.

When you're ready, please Report your post and ask for the thread to be closed. Mods might not see an individual post, or a change in title, but will see a Report.
    Thanks.

7. SelemaChan

SelemaChan Noob Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Uh ok. Thanks again! I'll do that later once I post my solution-

I'm clearly a huge newby! But you have been very informative and I really appreciate it!