Making a secret 'Wait for X amount of time' ending

Chaz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm using MV but I figure this is, for the most part, not specific to a certain maker!

Okay, so here's what I want to do: I'd like to make a secret ending for my game that's set off, at least in part, by waiting in one room for X amount of minutes. Take for example the "___" ending in The Witch's House, which is activated by waiting in the first area for an astonishing 60 minutes. (Or the secret ending in Far Cry 4 in which you wait for 15 minutes at the start).

My own specific example involves the protagonist calling in for backup, and being told they'll take, say, 5-10 minutes. I wanna make it so that if someone actually does wait out those 5-10 minutes, they get a special ending, but if they leave the room or set off a significant story event, the request for backup is called off (or delayed) and the story continues normally.

I don't know if it's as simple as making a Parallel Process Event in the room that waits the specified amount of time before triggering a cutscene event, or if there's some more complex stuff I need to keep in mind when doing an ending like that. Any help is appreciated, as always!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've moved this thread to MV Support (Tutorials is where you post tutorials, not ask for help). Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Parallel process with a wait is the way to go.  You'd have to turn it on when the player's told to wait, but you'd also have to have a way to disable it if they leave the room, so it doesn't start counting again if they leave and come back.  I'd say something like this would do:

Two switches - one for 'timer activated', one for 'timer ended'

Optional third switch for 'special ending', to be used if your special cutscene does not happen immediately after the timer is up

Event 1 (trigger):

tell player to wait

turn on 'timer activated' switch

Event 2 (room exit):

page 1 - let player leave room

page 2 - conditioned by 'timer activated' switch - turn on 'timer ended' switch, let player leave room

page 3 - conditioned by 'timer ended' switch - let player leave room

Event 3 (timer):

page 1 - conditioned by 'timer activated' switch, set to parallel process - do countdown, turn on 'timer ended' switch and 'special ending' switch

page 2 - conditioned by 'timer ended' switch, all other options left as default - no commands

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You could also use Time stamps.

Eventcommand Control Variables1 - Set to Game Data , Other , there choose Game Time. (Its total game Time in secconds)

Set Variable2 to Variable1.

Add 600 to Variable 2.

Turn on a switch to start  the common event that checks for the timer.

Now your time stamp is set.

Now you need a paralell common event with previous mentioned trigger as condition.

Eventcommand Control Variables1 - Set to Game Data , Other , there choose Game Time. (Its total game Time in secconds)

Conditional Branch Variable1 is equal or more than Variable2

If yes do your Eventcode,

else

nothing.

wait 60frames? (this doesnt need to be checked 60 times a seccond)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Whup, apologies for putting this in the wrong forum, I'll keep that in mind for next time!

Thanks for the advice though, I'll be sure to make use of that :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The main character of the book)
Things you can say about your rpg maker project but not your bf/gf: I'm not super committed but it's fun to play around with it.
putting a puzzle in my game that BSODs the player's computer if they complete it
I finally got a book out the door after seven years of nothing \^-^/ Now if I can get a game out the door too, that'd be great...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tharene