Making a status effect bypass the effects of luck?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by jonthefox, Oct 29, 2015.

1. jonthefox

jonthefox Veteran Veteran

Is there an easy way for me to make a skill cause X state like poison or sleep...100% of the time, regardless of either character's LUK stat?  Thank you!

2. Another Fen

Another Fen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Can't tell if this still works in MV, but you could try to to set the application chance as high as possible.

For instance, VXAce allowed to adjust the rate of "add state" effects to a maximum of 1000%, which would compensate a LUK-difference of up to 900 points.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
  3. jonthefox

Oh snap, that's a great idea, thank you!

4. SgtBusCake

SgtBusCake Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello Jon the Fox,

I was not aware that Luck affected status effects until this post.

From my observations, when you have b.addState(x) in the damage formula, the State seems to ignore Luck.

b.addState(4); a.atk * 4 - b.def * 2When I tried using the Effects, Type box with Add State, Poison 100%, none of the effects would land on a target that had 999 Luck. I proceeded to raise the Add State, Poison 1000% (did not seem to let me set it above that.) The target had a fair amount of resists.

I also attempted to have multiple lines that had Add State, Poison 1000%, but that did not increase the likelihood of the effect. In this case, the Poison would be removed at the end of the turn to ensure that I was re-landing it.

Another Fen likes this.
  5. jonthefox

ahh so putting addState in the formula box makes it guaranteed; excellent! thank you.  

6. Another Fen

Another Fen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    The solution described in my post does only work if the target has at most 900 LUK more than the attacker (for a effect rate of 1000%), after this point the success chance drops below 100%, so if that is a possibility in your project SgtBusCakes solution is definitely better.

Adding effects to the damage formula messed with the "Auto Battle" feature for actors in VXAce, I don't know if that feature is still there in MV and if the problem still exists (Autobattle would execute damage formulas to measure a skills expected effect, which would randomly trigger effects tied to the formula).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015