Making an Autotile

Discussion in 'Social Media Announcements' started by RPGMakerWeb, May 28, 2018.

1. RPGMakerWeb

RPGMakerWeb Admin Staff Member Veteran

First Language:
    RPG Maker
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Last week we looked at how they are constructed by the editor, but this week, I'm going to go over a process that will ensure that your autotiles will tile perfectly!

Read the entire article over on the blog!

Next week, we'll be looking at how animated, layer 2, and wall/roof autotiles are constructed differently.

Does this clear up making autotiles for you? If not, what problems are you having. Do you want to just heap @Touchfuzzy with praise? Join the discussion!

Guiguimu and Alexander Hawksmoor like this.
  2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Very nice explanation of that upper right tile. That one confused me every time, but this is such an easy way to understand.

Oh, and @Touchfuzzy is great, too!

Guiguimu likes this.
  3. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I just couldn't figure out how to explain how to do the upper right section without doing the gif to rearrange the pieces. And once I did that I decided I might as well do the whole thing with gifs.

Seeing the pieces move around and such makes it so much easier to visualize.

Also, starting by drawing the corner pieces in the top left section was actually a "oh wow, that is obvious" moment, I actually rewrote the middle half of the article and redid half of the gifs after my brain realized how logical of an approach that was, because that ensuring that your corners match together helps ensure the straight sections will tile properly as well when you make those.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    evmaster likes this.
  4. Nero V

Nero V novelist Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I want to point out that the "featured tutorials" section from the main page hasn't changed since don't know when. The tutorials are kind of interesting, but I don't think that visitors who are not part of the community hit the blog section from the menu that often. As for myself, I stumble upon those tutorials every so often in the forums, but it could need more promotion. Since there is new content on the main page every week or so, don't hide the tutorials either.