Making an Event Run up to a Player and Automatically Initiate Conversation?

Grassfur

Joyful Creature
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello. I am a bit new to the forums, but would like to ask a question about an issue I am facing with autonomous movement in RPG Maker MV.

So here is what I am trying to do: I want an event (a person) to run up to my player and speak to them.

To do this, I have set the autonomous movement to "approach", the trigger to "parallel", and the frequency to "highest". Ideally, through doing this, the event will run up to the player (who should be able to still walk, hence the parallel trigger), and automatically initiate a conversation.

But what really happens is that the event will run up to the player, but instead of automatically touching the player, the player has to purposely walk into the event.

I would like to make the event basically catch the player and immediately start talking.

In addition, when the frequency is highest, the event does not fluidly go to the player, but will instead make its way toward the player while running around as if randomly (it looks very choppy, for the event runs all over the place while making its way to the player, instead of just walking in a somewhat straight pattern).

I have been unable to find a way to fix either of these problems, to make the event just walk smoothly and straight to the player, then automatically speak to him.

I was wondering if anyone can help me correct these issues.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
set the trigger to event touch, and instead of triggering the event's sequence, trigger a self-switch change, and put the sequence itself on another page, set itself to autorun and movement approach.
that'd split the event in two states "run up" and "stay near", "stay near" being the one that will play the sequence and deal with the removal of the event from the scene.

Frogboy

I'm not weak to fire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can also try a custom move route with "move toward player" as the route if approach is too flakey.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Grassfur autonomous movement is independent of content and trigger.
Setting an event page that has autonomous movement to parallel is one of the baddest ideas in eventing, because usually that creates lag for nothing gained.

Grassfur

Joyful Creature
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
set the trigger to event touch, and instead of triggering the event's sequence, trigger a self-switch change, and put the sequence itself on another page, set itself to autorun and movement approach.
that'd split the event in two states "run up" and "stay near", "stay near" being the one that will play the sequence and deal with the removal of the event from the scene.
Alright, so perhaps I have misunderstood your instructions, but I have not quite gotten it to do what I am looking for.

So I have two pages for the event. On the first page, I set the trigger to Event Touch. On this same page, I had it turn self switch A on.

instructions 1.png

On the second page, I set autonomous movement to approach, and the trigger to parallel. Then I had the dialogue initiate. (on the second screenshot, I took it before remembering to set condition to "self switch A = on". This has now been accounted for)

Instructions 2.png

What this ends up doing in the game is causing the dialogue to run repeatedly. I am uncertain if I have misunderstood your directions and implemented them wrongly.

What I am really aiming on doing is to have the Player enter this area. Upon entering, I want him to be able to walk around while this event is walking up to him. I would like for the event to basically chase him, and when it catches him, say the dialogue.

I feel that I could reasonably set Event Page 1 to "Parallel", with the contents of "move toward player", then turn control switch "A" on.
Then Event Page 2, with condition of control switch A = on, would be set to "event touch", and it would initiate the dialogue. However, the "move toward player" in the contents needs a way to know when to stop moving toward player (when it touches the player; but I could not find a conditional branch for this), then to set the control switch A to on. I am uncertain if you could help with this. I do appreciate your help so far, though. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Grassfur

Joyful Creature
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Grassfur autonomous movement is independent of content and trigger.
Setting an event page that has autonomous movement to parallel is one of the baddest ideas in eventing, because usually that creates lag for nothing gained.
Thank you for your input. I will look in to revising this if I am able to find a way for the event to work.

Grassfur

Joyful Creature
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can also try a custom move route with "move toward player" as the route if approach is too flakey.
Thank you. I think this is likely a far better way of causing the event to approach (instead of merely approach). I had forgotten that was an option at all.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
on the second page, set the trigger to autorun, not parallel.
and when you're done with the dialogue you have two options, either remove the event altogether through a magical vanish, or activate another page with nothing in it, with it's move route set to move away from the player and out of the screen.
that's how you direct your action: first, send the event towards the player, second, play the dialogue, and third, have the event itself manage it's own way out of the scene.

Grassfur

Joyful Creature
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
on the second page, set the trigger to autorun, not parallel.
and when you're done with the dialogue you have two options, either remove the event altogether through a magical vanish, or activate another page with nothing in it, with it's move route set to move away from the player and out of the screen.
that's how you direct your action: first, send the event towards the player, second, play the dialogue, and third, have the event itself manage it's own way out of the scene.
Thank you so much! I finally figured out how to make it work. I was looking at it the wrong way, and for some reason the logic had not made sense to me. I have finally figured it out.

I set the first page to event touch, with a custom "move toward player" for autonomous movement, then set the contents to "control switch a = on".

For the second page, I set a "control switch A = on" condition. I set it to autorun trigger, and made the dialogue initiate, and afterwards for self switch B to turn on.

On the third page, the event ends.

Thank you for your help. Very glad to find out how to do this now. It works perfectly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

https://s12.directupload.net/images/200715/34vwhkoz.png Finally have a concept I am happy with, now I just have to decide wheather I really want to do it as vector art.
I just keep coming up with weird ideas, and then spend the time trying to make sense out of it.:kaocry:
Hi, Erm... My name is zozobie! I just had a snack.
Face masks are to be compulsory when inside shops in England from the 24th of July. People can be fined £100 if they fail to comply.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dprintindex