Making an item that only works after a certain time or number of turns after use

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by BreakerZero, Dec 2, 2019.

1. BreakerZero

BreakerZero Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As part of my design and creative shift I have decided that with the difficulty spike going into the second dungeon I would hide a stone that can be used to return to the dungeon entrance on demand. However, after testing the implementation I decided that because an evac skill unlocks later on (among other reasons) I want to have it set to where the stone can only do its work under very specific conditions:
    • Only in an actual dungeon (not including the endgame for obvious reasons)
    • Sealed off from interaction under certain conditions (time attack, unexpected encounters)
    • Minimum five minute wait between activations to minimize abuse of the mechanic (and also to prioritize use of the evac skill once it's unlocked so that if there's sufficient mana charge or reload supplies in the player's inventory the normal method doesn't go underutilized)
    • Completely optional to acquire if you're the more adventurous type
    Similarly I have another item that functions as a reusable battlefield recovery implement (to basically restore significant functional capacity to the everyone who is currently on the front line e.g. group healing) but thanks to how MV works compared to its reference point I would like it to be where you can only activate the healing stone at certain intervals (and that once selected by a crew member cannot be selected again until certain conditions are met.

Any ideas on how to approach this? (And furthermore, if this question fits better in another forum you're clear to move things around.)

2. ChipTato

ChipTato Villager Member

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can definitely do this by using a dedicated switch for the evac item. Turning it on and off when the conditions are met.
    For the timer, you could use a variable that counts down 5 minutes real time (tho rpg maker seems a bit inconsistent with frame time)

For the healing item you can also use a different count down variable. You'd have to make individual switches for each character that can use it, whether they have or have not used it.

Sorry if i got the question wrong, but that's how i'd approach the scripting/eventing

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    'Game Mechanics Design' is for looking at aspects of game play at a more conceptual level. "How do I...?" (implementation) questions belong in the Support forum for the engine you are using.

I've moved this thread to RPGMaker MV. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

4. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Again I wasn't 100% on where to put this, and yes this is for MV. At any rate I have officially started on implementing the time delay (forgot which plugin but I did a search for it after asking for input on the subject) and will combine testing the item with testing enemy balance in my next session.

As for the healing item I need it set to where after it's selected for use by one party member it locks immediately and forces a use or lose condition (such that it cannot be selected twice per turn and if cancelled out you can't reselect which I think is fair within the capacity of doing this in MV while also providing a sort of risk for reward provision with it).

5. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Honestly, I'd suggest not putting a timer on it. Players don't like it when you delay their ability to leave a dungeon if they need to, even if they use it at the very beginning. If you are really afraid of abuse, maybe just not let it work in certain areas, which you can do by calling a common event then checking what map, and the x y the character is and if that is in a region you don't want them to escape from too easily display the appropriate text.

6. BreakerZero

First Language:
    English (USA)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I basically do that already for major plot points, the final dungeon etc. so that's not an issue. But as I said earlier, there's an evac skill implementation that unlocks later on which is why the metastone item is on a time delay (as it's more of an emergency fallback if you don't have the mana charge or reload supplies for the normal evac method), and you don't technically need it because of that so it's completely optional. I'm also writing the plot material to accommodate this limitation and have placed an NPC who informs you that it's in the dungeon, and it's placed in a spot that's very easy to miss (but which you have to use eventually as the more direct route will eventually get blocked off during an evacuation sequence). The continuance design is also intended to send you back to where you entered if requested from inside a dungeon at game over (as opposed to your last save point while in the field) but obviously that comes at the standard cost of half your cash.

So in other words, the whole thing just another load of risk for reward provisions.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019