Rylan Silverfox

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok...  So, I am new here and I figured this was as good a place as any to put this question...

Is it possible to use RPG Maker VX Ace to make a MMO?  A buddy of mine and I want to design a MMO and it looks like RPG Maker is the software we want to use.

I didn't see anything about this listed anywhere else in the forums, tutorials, or help guides...  So, if it has been posted and answered before, if you could provide me links to those forums it would be a great help.

Also, as much information as you can give me on how to design a game in RPG Maker to be a MMO (preferably not requiring download to play), it would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Super Galaxy Convoy

Supreme Commander
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
You can, but it will required a lot of scripting. I suggest that you and your friend learn the basics of the program first before delving into something like making an MMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Theoretically everything is possible because the entire engine can be modified (there are jump&run-games made with RM).

However, when considering an MMO that means you have to write almost everything from scratch - there is one script that enables internet transfers for something like highscore lists, and there are rumors of someone trying to make a multiplayer-version of RM (which isn't multiplayer by default).

Do you or your friend have the knowledge to write a server program from scratch and implement Internet-protocols by Ruby?

If yes, then you can script Ace to be used as MMO. If no then I wouldn't try it as even with that knowledge you'll need months of work to get the framework scripted.

Solistra

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Is it possible to do that? Yes, absolutely. Is it practical? No, not really.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
MMO creation in VX Ace really falls into the "Yes, technically, but if you have to ask, you don't have the skills to do it" area.

Also if you have the skills to do it, you would probably be better off doing it in something other than RM.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mon Dez

Good Loser
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog/English
Primarily Uses
Making one is difficult as it is since you are limited and I've tried making an MMO with regular VX, but it did not work out very well since no one could connect to the server. It's not impossible, but you are really limited in terms of flexibility with the engine plus you need knowledge on server side work since it is not beginner friendly.

Rylan Silverfox

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
To reply to the comments posted...

Knowledge of Ruby?  Not so much

I do have a pretty decent knowledge of VB and my buddy has a very good knowledge of HTML and JS.

He thinks he found a way to make it work BTW...

And, since this is just a hobby right now (we really just want to see if can do it), the practicality of it really isn't as important as figuring out how to do it :-D

Also, thanks for the feedback...  I wasn't looking for as much a "how can I" as much as I was looking for "can I"...  So, I would say my question has been adequately answered :-D. 

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A side story is almost getting into the next stage. Almost everything in this game has real-life references.
unfinishedbuildingwip1.jpg
Everyday life is full of absurdity. This is just a reflection.
TFW you discover how the script batching works in VNMaker... after you've had the program for almost 3 years.
hAx6iQ3.gif

Writes that the characters have to climb a mountain.

Realized that I have to draw six sets of models where characters are climbing.

At least I know how to draw something. :)
I'm currently scratching my head on how to design plains. What do I even put in plains? Some trees (but not too many or it turns into a forest)? Grass? A few bushes? That's a bit dull.
I'm looking for tutorials but Google didn't seem to find much (or maybe I have the wrong keywords). I don't know how to map plains and I don't know how to learn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Belphegor