XenoStar

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I'm trying to make my first game on MV and one of the things I would like to add to it is custom music so I don't have to rely on the tracks that are already in the program, but I don't really know any software that can help me make that. Would be very nice if anyone can recommend to me a good music creation software that I could use and maybe any tips when making custom tracks. I know I could possibly ask for some help regarding this, but I don't know how that part would work, or if it's even possible, so it would also be helpful if anyone can shed some light to me on this little bit.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi and welcome! I'd check out this topic that should give a lot of useful info.

Spoopy

Web Developer, PHP, NodeJS, RubyOnRails, Sass, HTM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You could try LMMS, which is free and open source, however it can give issues on Windows. For paid products I'd suggest FL Studio on Windows. The signature bundle or all-plugins version is worth the price, nice part is you get free upgrades on new versions. It is quite simple to use and powerful with great automation tools and generators. Best purchase I've made. Ableton Live is good too, but a steep learning curve. Both are used in the music industry by some big names.

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Personally I prefer Cakewalk SONAR, but aside from sequencing tracks, you'll need virtual instruments.  Two very good choices for this, paid and in the orchestral genre, are Garritan Personal Orchestra and Miroslav Philharmonik 2 CE.  They are cheap and easy to use.  If you are looking for something free, I recommend Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra (seems the site is closed due to better options like Virtual Playing Orchestra and VSCO2 - Community Edition, but it's still available for download), free soundfonts found all over the internet or even try the The Alpine Project which offers free instruments of high quality.  You'd have to subscribe to their newsletter, but its very unintrusive since they don't send spam your way, only updates on new instruments they have released.

For virtual instruments, I also recommend, if you can afford it, the highly praised and used Symphonic Series by EastWest.  They offer a subscription-based service now that allows you to pay monthly at a nice price for all of their products instead of paying for everything upfront with a huge price tag.

There are others I highly recommend, but they are VERY expensive and much harder to work with.

As mentioned by @Spoopy, Ableton and LMMS are good alternatives.  I personally don't like using FL Studio these days for sequencing since whenever I tried to preview certain instruments via a MIDI keyboard, it always played the notes quantized instead of "What You Hear", which can be a real pain when trying to test legato passages or quick notes.

Good luck!

Spoopy

Web Developer, PHP, NodeJS, RubyOnRails, Sass, HTM
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I haven't used SONAR myself, but saw there is a RPG Maker + Sonar steam edition version on Steam. So I guess SONAR must be popular for RM. Which ever DAW you choose, you could always get free VST instruments etc at the KVM audio site.

@djDarkX I think there is a setting to turn off the quantization on midi devices, just not sure exactly where it was,

maybe in the Instruments settings itself where you can set portamento etc.

Unless you mean that recording with a midi keyboard auto-quantizes, which is usually to do with snap settings where you choose line, cell or none.

Personally I've never run previews through midi devices, since I only have midi controllers, which I usually use for live performance mode or on Serato DJ.

djDarkX

Retro & Remastered Music Guru
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Music
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I looked everywhere and never found a setting that allowed non-quantizing of live playing notes for sound preview.  Either way, SONAR works well for me and is easy enough for me to use, so I'll stick to it. xD

XenoStar

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alright, thanks for the help, guys. Is there anything else I should know about, whether it be about these software or just about music in general? I know that learning music theory can pretty much help out a lot with this.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Remember when people had the ability to have meaningful conversations on platforms like twitter or facebook? Good times... Nowadays is absolute crap.
All aboard the Advent calendar train, riding Avery's coattails as an excuse to make more sprites. ;)
Advent2021-01.gif

Get 'em in my thread in General Resources.
I had a dream where it was Friday, and what happened in the dream was irrelevant, because I woke up and it's not Friday, so I'm sad.
edit: third time's the charm? some graphic text I whipped up that I like for the mid-game intertitle, now with all of the actual letters in the stupid damn words I was trying to spell :uswt2:
kcsmall.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pazzow