Lyseth

Potato Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I wanted to create DLC compatibility, just skins (both for in-game graphics and characters in cutscenes being changed to match the applied skin made with the scene maker program), and just wanted to know, would the user need to just simply copy-paste the content into the game’s source files? Or is there way more to it?

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It depends on how you deploy the game and how you set the DLC up..

For example, if you deploy it in a way in which the individual files are replaceable, then the user can just copy paste the DLC replacement files. But if for example you pack your resources into one file, you'd need to supply the DLC either inside a modified version of that packed file (but this is problematic if you make multiple DLCs) or make a program that will inject the file into the pack.

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Making a DLC that changes previously made content may damage the save files. It's best to add stuff with a DLC rather than change premade things. I have an idea though. You can make new data for your game with the new skins and add those files as DLC. That might work... I"m not sure.

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Hyouryuu-Na please keep discussion on this thread engine neutral and remember that implementation belongs on tje Support forum for the engine being used.
Thanks

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kes Oops I misunderstood the query. Sorry.

Lyseth

Potato Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It depends on how you deploy the game and how you set the DLC up..

For example, if you deploy it in a way in which the individual files are replaceable, then the user can just copy paste the DLC replacement files. But if for example you pack your resources into one file, you'd need to supply the DLC either inside a modified version of that packed file (but this is problematic if you make multiple DLCs) or make a program that will inject the file into the pack.
Not exactly the most tech savvy, so the additional program likely won’t happen, I assume the copy-paste into source files is the safest way to do it (to avoid breaking the game/corrupting files)

DJK1NG_Gaming

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Easy way to do DLC costumes.
Is follow these steps.
1. Create the Costume as Key Items. Menu Only Use and Do Not Consume.
2. Then go to Common Events and Create a Event for each.
- What you want to use is. Change Actor Images. This will allow you to change the Actor Face, Charset and Battler on the fly.
- Change it to the alternate costume graphic you made.
3. Create a Default Costume Key Item that is free to get. So the player can change back.
4. Put the corresponding Common Events on the Key Items.

That about it. As for cutscenes accurately showing the change costume. I have yet to figure that out. But most games that have Alternate Costumes usually don't show them in cutscenes.

Hyouryuu-Na

Very very lazy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Not English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you include the modified .jsons files in the data folder, then the cutscenes will automatically have the changed costumes. When the player chooses a costume, set a variable. Then make the cutscenes so that depending on the value of the variable, the actor's image will change.

Edit: I haven't tried that though. Not sure if it will actually work :")

Last edited:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

headshot_headshot.jpg
The theory has been proved. Based on an invisible image's data(the big red dot in the previous image), RM can identify different parts of an enemy and do something respectively. :kaojoy:
Ok.. coding what should be a simple "everyone is petrified and therefore dead, now go to game over screen" shouldn't involve needing to become Dr. J and dunking from the free throw line(my way of saying "jumping through hoops").
Hmmmm... how many xrays til I get super powers?
..of the major old school series that began in the 80s- early 90s, I still haven't beaten 'a' Zelda game. Mario 64 was the first Mario I've beaten. I don't know if I should give that honor to Link to the Past or A Link Between Worlds(I currently own both). Well technically I've haven't beaten a Sonic either (Game Genie doesn't count =P).
headshot_headinfo.jpg
Time to add the "headshot" concept into the game so that people may actually aim at the heads when shooting zombies and get massive damage and armor-pen bonus as rewards. :kaojoy:
(The red area is just for visually debug purposes right now. But, it's possible that I will add something that displays the weak spots of enemies in the future.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanriosimp