T3sCoconuts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey all, so rather simple question probably weird though as i have already been asked why i would want to give my self the hassle,

i want to make everything bigger, around 2x bigger, tiles, houses, sprites,

i have my reasons why i want to make everything bigger, and to make it short, i have several different races in my game, such as humans, elves, dwarfs, orcs, halflings, so on and so forth, big small round everything, and i want to be able to show this in game, this is mainly so i dont have to slam character and race lore down the throat of anyone playing that does not want to read it,

just wondering is there going to be any issues with doing this, such as with animations?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sure! RPG Maker MV's default tile size is 48 x 48 pixels. That is what I call "One sprite block" (I will label it as X), and most of your sprites are in a formation where there's 3 sprite blocks in width by 4 sprite blocks in height. Like this:

XXX (Facing Down)
XXX (Facing Left)
XXX (Facing Right)
XXX (Facing Up)

This singular character spritesheet is is 144 x 192 pixels.
I am giving these to you as a reference since these are the defaults.

Now, the engine allows you to make your own sizes! As long as it has consistent proportions you choose. So for instance, if you had a sprite of a character that was 48 pixels wide and 96 pixels tall, you can go ahead and create that sprite...and when you finish making that spritesheet layout as references above with the X's, make sure to put an "!$" at the beginning of the image name, so that the game knows "Oh, this sprite is not default dimensions".

An example of this can be seen in your default "Monster BOSS" sprites if you ever happened to look at those in your characters folder. Notice how some of them start with the "!$"? This is because the engine will position the sprite correctly in your world with the custom dimensions.

Something you should know though...is that the hitbox of the character, no matter the dimensions, is still 48 x 48. So take that as you will. The taller/wider parts of your sprites will still adhere to the "X, Circle, and Star" for passages, so make sure to balance that out as you can.

If any of that sounded confusing at all, there's one user who made a great explanation that goes further in depth here!

T3sCoconuts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sure! RPG Maker MV's default tile size is 48 x 48 pixels. That is what I call "One sprite block" (I will label it as X), and most of your sprites are in a formation where there's 3 sprite blocks in width by 4 sprite blocks in height. Like this:

XXX (Facing Down)
XXX (Facing Left)
XXX (Facing Right)
XXX (Facing Up)

This singular character spritesheet is is 144 x 192 pixels.
I am giving these to you as a reference since these are the defaults.

Now, the engine allows you to make your own sizes! As long as it has consistent proportions you choose. So for instance, if you had a sprite of a character that was 48 pixels wide and 96 pixels tall, you can go ahead and create that sprite...and when you finish making that spritesheet layout as references above with the X's, make sure to put an "!$" at the beginning of the image name, so that the game knows "Oh, this sprite is not default dimensions".

An example of this can be seen in your default "Monster BOSS" sprites if you ever happened to look at those in your characters folder. Notice how some of them start with the "!$"? This is because the engine will position the sprite correctly in your world with the custom dimensions.

Something you should know though...is that the hitbox of the character, no matter the dimensions, is still 48 x 48. So take that as you will. The taller/wider parts of your sprites will still adhere to the "X, Circle, and Star" for passages, so make sure to balance that out as you can.

If any of that sounded confusing at all, there's one user who made a great explanation that goes further in depth here!

thank you for that

attached a screen shot if you want to have a look, just messing around with a quick sprite i made, just trying to give my self a size reference for the new sprites

noticed something that is going to probably be a issue though ~,~ if im parallaxing everything the larger characters will have clipping issues given a orc is as tall as a elf, and a oger is twice the size of a human, this is not even taking giants into account,

Attachments

• size reference.JPG
    size reference.JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
thank you for that

attached a screen shot if you want to have a look, just messing around with a quick sprite i made, just trying to give my self a size reference for the new sprites

noticed something that is going to probably be a issue though ~,~ if im parallaxing everything the larger characters will have clipping issues given a orc is as tall as a elf, and a oger is twice the size of a human, this is not even taking giants into account,

Ahhh, yeah...that's the challenging part unfortunately. Parallax mapping on its own is hard, time consuming work. Now combine that with all the stuff I just said about sprites and sprite sheets....it's gonna be a lot to handle if you're willing to put the effort in!

Looks good btw : )

T3sCoconuts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ahhh, yeah...that's the challenging part unfortunately. Parallax mapping on its own is hard, time consuming work. Now combine that with all the stuff I just said about sprites and sprite sheets....it's gonna be a lot to handle if you're willing to put the effort in!

Looks good btw : )
thanks ^^ lol though this is now my older version, was not happy with the inconsistent tiles, so some parts look really nice then some parts look, well bland, for example, spent allot of time on this map, though the grass at the top of the cliff is using the default tile, and the grass that i used does not match the cliffs thats why i want to parallax everything, (getting hard to think need to go to bed,)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
alternatively you can use Shaz' change grid size plugin to change the grid size from 48x48 to 64x64 or 96x96 and make every tile and hitbox bigger as well.

However because the changed grid size is only in the engine, not in the editor, this requires you to work with two tilesets (one 48, one new size). And if you go too big in the gridsize you'll have to edit the pixi.js or the tiles vanish - but that is described in one of the posts on the plugin as well, just search for it.

by the way - that was my tutorial on the sprite templates ;-)

T3sCoconuts

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
alternatively you can use Shaz' change grid size plugin to change the grid size from 48x48 to 64x64 or 96x96 and make every tile and hitbox bigger as well.

However because the changed grid size is only in the engine, not in the editor, this requires you to work with two tilesets (one 48, one new size). And if you go too big in the gridsize you'll have to edit the pixi.js or the tiles vanish - but that is described in one of the posts on the plugin as well, just search for it.

by the way - that was my tutorial on the sprite templates ;-)
i saw that ^^ it was quite informative, helped allot with my sizing making the test sprite

having a look at the shaz change grid size plugin now, sounds like that just what im looking for, hope so as what I was going to do, may be more work then using the plug in, and it completely throws off my long game of parallaxing everything,

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
throws off my long game of parallaxing everything,
the plugin can be combined with parallax maps, in that case it only changes the collision size.
but that still requires some carefull modifications of the parallax process to fit everything right.

On the other hand, parallaxing is a lot of work. Someone once told me that a tiled map is 20% of the work for 80% of the quality of parallaxed maps - because parallaxing doesn't help at all if you don't know how to design your map...

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

so... I decided since a park was an area in my game... here's an enemy that's slide with a hand behind it. cause why not.
Hot chocolate and music make studying and note-taking much easier :kaoluv:
Until my hand cramps up from writing too much!
Doing RPG Maker News for 21st September 2021

Malak is still waiting for Dark Deception Chapter 4... This was him yesterday after another sugar crash.
Again, he's fine. He's just bored at this point, considering he's exhausted his entire vacation bucket list.
Am I the only one who files custom resources under specific folders to remember who to credit? :kaoswt2:
1632263519730.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BlaireBear1