Making items that increase experience points...?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by sweetladyamy, May 9, 2015.

1. sweetladyamy

sweetladyamy T-Girl Gamer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I remember back in the very first RPG Maker for Sony Play Station, there was a way to make a 'Food' Item that you could use to increase (or decrease) experience points.

I've found, that you cannot do that directly with VX ACE.

Is there a way to?

I mean, you can increase pretty much every other stat except experience.

I did look into Common Events, and it looks to me like I'd have a lengthy Event script (choosing which member, allocating for if that member is in the party, etc).

If anyone knows, an answer would be greatly appreciated.

Merci beaucoup.

2. KanaX

KanaX Just being a mouse Veteran

First Language:
    Broken English.
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    1. Have the item you want to raise exp call a common event.
    2. On that common event have a variable check the actor's EXP
    3. After that use this script call: $game_actors[id].change_exp(($game_variables[n] + x), show) Where id is the ID of the selected actor, n is the number of the variable you set to check the actor's EXP, x is the amount of exp you want to add and show can be set to true or false. If it's true, the default experience window will open (you gained X EXP etc). If it's false, the EXP will just change and nothing will happen.
    If you use more actors than one. it can be a little more complicated, so if you are interested, let me know.

3. Kvich

Kvich Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Danish
    There's a state effect where you can increase or decrease experience gain rate.

The database under states then under Param and then Sp-Parameter, there's one of those parameters called EXR, which affects the experience gain with a percentage, example if you have it at 150% it will increase the experience gain by 50%.

4. sweetladyamy

First Language:
    English
    I sent you a Private Message.

5. sweetladyamy

First Language:
    English
    Yes, I'm aware of this, and I thank you for telling me, but I was talking about using an item to increase experience directly, and likely it would be outside of battle only. Actually, I've used the EXR Special Parameter in test battle, and it didn't seem to work (I had it set to 1000% and it gave me the normal experience points), so I'm not sure what went wrong, but I am aware of the Special Parameter and I do use it. Once again, thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

6. Kvich

Kvich Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Danish
    If I'm not mistaken, I read about that elsewhere, it's a visual bug only, I recall the characters with a increased EXR will get the increased exp, but the battle victory message will only write the value of the exp from the monsters.

7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    sweetladyamy, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

If you want to quote several posts, please use multiquote.

EXR: It works, but the result of battle displays the base XP gained for everyone, EXR is appliead after that and you should see the EXP gained in the actor are higher than the after-battle-display

Shortest way for an EXP-Item would be to use a script command to give the item target EXP and place that command in the damage formula.

Something like

b.change_exp

But I don't have the exact syntax available at the moment

8. sweetladyamy

First Language:
    English
    The double post:

I didn't intend for that to happen. I replied to one post, and then after I had, someone had replied while I was posting a reply, so I wasn't aware of the second post until after I had finished posting the first reply. I also have a somewhat slow computer, so I wasn't given the usual 'Someone made a post, please review' response beforehand. I guess I could have edited my reply, but that didn't even cross my mind.

With that being said, I see where that makes sense that it wouldn't show it in the post-battle results (which means that in troop battle testing I'd not ever see the fruits of my modification).

As for your script-command idea, thanks. I'm basically a novice at scripting (but did well in XP), so I'm not exactly sure of what to modify without breaking the script.

9. estriole

estriole Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    indonesian
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
    sweetladyamy likes this.
  10. sweetladyamy

First Language:
    English
  11. Trihan

Trihan Speedy Scripter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Have your item call a common event. In that common event put

$game_party.menu_actor.gain_exp(however much exp you want the item to give)

sweetladyamy likes this.
  12. sweetladyamy

First Language:
    English
    [bGS: Applause2] It worked! Yay! Merci beaucoup!

The script seems to work, but when I used the item, nothing happened. I'll be working on it, and I appreciate you helping out.

13. muramasa

muramasa Abomination of life, or life itself. Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    This works. No script needed.

HP Damage with the following formula:

b.gain_exp(50); 0Effect: Gain TP 0%

I'm not sure how it behaves when a certain character has 100% TP though, for characters with that preserve TP special flag.

14. Tsukihime

Tsukihime Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Damage formulas would work.

I would prefer to move it into a separate effect of its own, using formulas again via Formula Effects

So you would note-tag an item/skill with something like

<formula effect> b.gain_exp(200)</formula effect>And then when you use the item on someone they will gain 200 EXP.It's pretty much the same idea though; just a matter of where you put it.

The menu actor is the actor that is currently active in the menu, which is used for things such as determining whose skills to display and so on.

This probably doesn't work if you want to use an item on an arbitrary actor.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    sweetladyamy likes this.
  15. sweetladyamy

First Language:
    English
    I'm not sure how that particular one would work. Though I thank you for your input.

I did try the method given to me by Trihan. Indeed, it works, with one tiny qualm that it leaves the menu screen afterward, but the Experience points are successfully added. I wasn't trying to make an item I could use on any character, just the ones in my party at the time, hence like I said when I started this, I was trying to emulate the 'Food' type item from the original RPG Maker for Sony Play Station, in which you could make an Experience boosting/decreasing item with ease, and it is used on in-party members only. I hadn't thought of reason to want to make an item that could be used for an arbitrary/absent party member. I'm sure I might later, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, if I come to it.

That being said, I downloaded the Formula Effects Script, just so I have it, in case I could use it for something else or to enhance the item. So thanks much. Hopefully I'll be able to do a lot more as I learn...