Making "magic" like abilities without necessarily being magic?

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So in my head, I picture the healer as a minstrel whose songs encourage allies more. He'd probably get abilities more on the lines of Regen or Auto-Life. Maybe if he did actually heal, he'd probably in a way encourage them to fight on or something? Probably a bit of a stretch.

I actually envision my mage as being an arquebus/flintlock user, or in a way an artificer, whose elements are in the form of gunpowder or whatnot. However, her basic attack would be bashing. I guess in a way I'm sorta inspired by Sharla's fighting style in Xenoblade Chronicles, only as the black mage instead. Fire explosives make sense, but ice and thunder "magic" may prove problematic. Plus, I have plenty of items in mind for my project, but they'd be single-target as opposed to her focus on multi-target explosives.

Basically, I'm curious to find ways of making the mages not exactly mages but fulfilling the role of such.

gstv87

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
so,.... science?

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is this a steampunk setting? Science or technology (whatever) can explain electrical discharges and probably the Mr. Freeze gun

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sounds like you want a magic system that is more of a science in your setting. So, something like an alchemy variant. You could have this alchemical system explain the forces of nature in your world, and act as a sort of magical science from which strange technologies and powers come to be. Instead of incantations, you have nonsensical alchemical formulae. Instead of curses, you have alchemical plagues. You could have things such as potions that create superhumans, sorta like the potions in the WItcher.

I guess it all comes down to whether your game is based in our universe, with all of its scientific laws and what not, or if it's your own setting. Even if it is based in our world, I don't think you really need to explain how everything works, not unless it's hard sci-fi or something.

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is something called Thaumaturgy - ability to perform miracles, people who use Thaumaturgy are called thaumaturges. In Christian Religion such person was Saint Bernard from Clairvaux

Kupotepo

Fantasy realist/ Forum Reactor‍
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Do not forget the full metal alchemist. Crystal User is not magic, but it is fuel by hope.

Fire explosives make sense, but ice and thunder "magic" may prove problematic. Plus, I have plenty of items in mind for my project, but they'd be single-target as opposed to her focus on multi-target explosives.
Sound like a bomb maker. I forget having to play pretend...it is called the chemist class I think.

Psychic Power are born or trained power of mind itself lol.

Last edited:

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The arquebus/flintlock could pack explosive elemental bullets inside that burst on impact, to burn, freeze, or shock the enemy, if we're using the Final Fantasy element trinity.

If you went that route, the ammo would take the place of MP.

Science and Alchemy also means the player might be able to create their own magic depending on the tools and sets of ingredients they use.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@KakonComp Yeah, you can have a lot of fun with a more fantastical form of alchemy, as well as other forms of fantasy science. I usually go down this route if I want magic, but don't want it to actually be magic. lol. No powers from gods, spirits, spells, and rituals; it's all explainable within the laws of a fantasy science.

You could also just use technology that's so advanced that it's indistinguishable from magic. I also like this concept. :p

SoftCloud

Aspiring Game Alchemist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MP could theoretically be nixed and TP used in place. Although MP could always be repurposed to act as an general energy source for some characters that powers technology.
Using an item synthesis system provided by Yanfly could act as a method to add unique ammo types.
For the minstrel if MP is unattractive due to connotations of MP then TP could always be used as a function. Some songs could always give a TP boost as well. MP could also be converted into Will or something more worldly.

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Probably digressing into mechanics but...

I’m curious when MZ comes out if I could hide certain bars or replace the MP/TP bar depending on character.

The minstrel/healer would be the one with MP that’s refilled every battle.

Likewise the artificer/“black mage” would have her ammo amount listed as opposed to MP. Alternately I may have her Refill ability use up the correct item and if I can change MP names per character, have her MP essentially be the gunpowder.

Of course, this is all advanced stuff.

Last edited:

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can honestly just make up whatever and pass it off as pseudo-magic. In the world of my main project, "magic" is a sort of effect manifested by an old, long-forgotten technology that protects the planet.

In a side project of mine, the android character uses "magic" in the form of programs as she grows from being a basic machine to an artificial superintelligence.

Both of these games have a sort of science-based lore about them, and yet magic can still exist. The only difference is how it operates is explained from a scientific standpoint rather than just saying, "the crystals/espers/etc did it."

Probably digressing into mechanics but...

I’m curious when MZ comes out if I could hide certain bars or replace the MP/TP bar depending on character.

The minstrel/healer would be the one with MP that’s refilled every battle.

Likewise the artificer/“black mage” would have her ammo amount listed as opposed to MP. Alternately I may have her Refill ability use up the correct item and if I can change MP names per character, have her MP essentially be the gunpowder.

Of course, this is all advanced stuff.
You can actually do that right now in MV, assuming you mean something like this:

In case this is what you're after, it's AES_CustomMP and the link is in my signature.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
In one of my games, a character was 100% sceptical about even the possible existence of magic. Another character explained it like this:
"
You know there are different types of waves, light waves, sound waves, and so on. Some people can focus certain types of wave and do things with it. It's what used to be called
*magic*. Think of it as manipulation of matter at the quantum level."

Manipulating matter at the quantum level could explain almost anything you want it to.

Samue1l

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You could have this framework to clarify the powers of nature in your reality, and go about as such an enchantment science from which peculiar advances and powers become mcdvoice.

Last edited:

Zalzany

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just makes me think of a caster from Outlaw star. Way it works is science, the ammo has basically preloaded spells in them, and you load it up and fire them one at a time. Allowing non magic users to use magic spell I have had idea to include something like this more then once into stories. Like i had a short story I did once while in where a character used science to cast magic. Using crystals he had an apprentice mage with crap mana infuse the crystals with spells so he could fire them at will out of a breach loaded black powder pistol I still really like that idea, but never thought about it again till now...

Like the character a non magic dwarf looked at magic itself as science, and was trying to unlock the mysteries of it, literally bottling it up, and experimenting with it at will. He used adventuring to help pay for his research, and I forgot how he got the weak fledgling mage, but char was worthless in combat like a one hit wonder with magic in combat, so the preloaded spells the dwarf had were vital, but he also had rocks, and metal bullets he could fire in a pinch.

They spent most their off time from advuntiring simply crafting paper cartridges for his pistol or trying to explore the sicence of magic through crude trial and error techniques. Likethat is how he sorted out the right crystals to absorb weak spells, and strong spells, trial and error, and a lot busted crystals, just like the right amount of gunpowder to fire them at some one and have then break unlocking the spell with out it busting in his barrel or not having enough umpf to activate/break on the target.

Damn I need to revive that charactor and his side kick one day in a project now lol

Last edited:

SoftCloud

Aspiring Game Alchemist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Zalzany I toyed with a similar idea but abandoned it for narrative incompatibility. I adore the idea of a non-magic user dabbling in various scientific and parascientific endeavours to use some sort of magic. You can do a lot of world building and power-divides with this. n.n

Chocopyro

Just an intermediate leveled adventurer.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Mage role non-magic users? Yeah, I have some ideas.

Alchemists: Work around the mechanics of magic with chemical reactions that put enemies to sleep, confuse them, paralyze them, or just blow them up.

Psychics: Still fantasy based, but where as a wizard bends reality to his will or exploits the sacred geometry of the universe, a psychic works within natural laws of unseen realms. Coaxing changes in reality rather than punching their will over reality.

Grenadiers: Like the alchemist, but with more black powder. May rely on many of the same chemical reactions, to release different vapors and gasses to augment their grenades.

Edit: Since I didn't get to complete this post earlier.

Mesmerist: Hypnotisms and mental tricks. Take advantage of the placebo effect in your allies and your enemies to buff and debuff, causing your enemies to strike out at each other, or your allies to optimize their own potential with raw belief.

Perhaps bards weave bineral beats into their music to pull off similar effects.

Last edited:

Rayhaku808

Chubbizard
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My immediate family are Christians and they're aware of what I do so I have trouble treading the grounds of magic systems. This also heavily influence my overall stories as well. It forces me to try to be creative in a different sense.

One series that I hold dear to me is the megaman battle network series. Everything is data. Why can this shoot fire? It's a program chip in an online virtually emulated space thingy that shoots fire. Hah, not magic.

Sort of an easy cop out but for my own game being in cyberspace itself, characters will have books with code in them. These codes are obviously a form of magic. Code: Fire, Code: Icicle Shot, Code: Thunder, Code: Gale, Code: Piercing Light Javelin, Code: Za Warudo, or whatever. You catch my drift. This is the base for offensive magic.

Healing and support magic will be the act of repairing lost data and adding layers to it. Adding some kind of firewall comes at the cost of reducing your speed. Buffing speed slightly can be done by defragging. Changing priority would buff speed immensely but reduce the rest of your party's. Gonna have my nerdy IT friend help me out with some more fun ideas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Shade the Mystic wrote on YouFulca's profile.
I just wanted to drop you a line to tell you that you are flipping amazing. I've listened to a few RM composers over the years, and while they all had their strengths, yours is the only work I'd dare call memorable. I honestly don't think I've heard such amazing RM scores outside of Yasunori Mitsuda, no joke. Keep up the amazing work!
Seamless secret passages just by painting a path with a region id. Simple but slick.
Playing with colour ramps. The first set is the originals, the ones only facing forward in different colour schemes are the new colours.

I present... MAGIC (in progress)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smashbroly