Making Rent

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Capulus, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Capulus

Capulus Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Making Rent is an RPG Maker game, made in the VX-Ace engine, about three women who are trying to, as the title suggests, make rent on their shared home; To do this, they'll need to go on quests, and earn gold.

The target is, at the moment, 1000 gold; this may be subject to change.

To get to the goal, the three will need to travel around the island of D'Maer, doing small jobs and quests for people, from fixing relationships, to finding Legendary Combs, to tracking down succubi.

The overworld, as it is at this stage of development-

MakingRent.png

The idea is to make it open world (a small one, but an open one) with emphasis on exploration and seeking out your jobs and quests, and finding the secrets of the small world. So far I have one town around 60% complete, with a few NPCs, and the beginnings of four quests; As of yet it's the only exterior with any meat to it aside from the Airship dock, which is, as of this point in development, an empty area as an inbetween for the intro and the overworld. The overworld may be subject to a redesign to expand it or make it look less like what it is, a pre-made overworld.

EDIT: The beginnings of one Dungeon, the Crumbling Castle has been done, with some lore available to read on the statues and a simple entrance hall done inside.

The two towns, as of this stage of development, below-

town1.png

Town2.png

Combat is planned, haphazardly, but not yet implemented; So far the three characters have their own weapon tiers and starting skills, being Sword, Knife, and Staff, respective to their classes of Reluctant Hero, Undead Assassin, and Cookiewitch, each fulfilling the general 'Knight, Rogue, Mage' parts of the triangle.

Current character sprites are temporary recolours, and at the time of this post, I'm making a request in the Resource Request forum for sprites.

But back to the story; Multiple endings will be included based on how much gold the three earn before deciding to leave. This may include bad endings, I'll see. I'm also considering including some sort of dream sequences; When one goes to an inn to sleep, and recover HP, they will have dreams and see things related to the interactions they've had during the day; This will probably be cumulative, and just a simple way of giving hints, reiterating information, or as a sort of "quest log" to keep the player in the know of what they need to do.

For the moment, there is no combat and only quest givers, without any actual quests; I'm uploading the demo so far to get critique on the story, humour, and map design, since I'm not sure if I should continue in this direction.

--

The characters themselves are Hazel Capulus, Canna Belle, and Sky Blue, the Reluctant Hero, Undead Assassin, and Cookiewitch, respectively. This little adventure takes place in a universe I've been working on for a few years now, loosely called Medius, the same name as the mainland where most of the three's adventures happen. The story of this happens somewhere between their first and second adventure.

Hazel is a stubborn adventurer who's not afraid to speak her mind or smack someone in the face if they're being stupid; Her past exploits have involved spitting in the face of an angry goddess, punching a necromancer in the throat, and an aggressive ballroom dance with her nemesis. Her skills involve several years of ballet dancing, a prosthetic left arm and leg, and extensive training with a rapier.

Canna is an undead adventurer who thinks she's perfect; People who argue with her are generally ignored. Incredibly confident, despite her... Shortcomings. The main one being that she's basically a soul who's been stapled to her old body. She knows an ancient technique called 'Fading', which is a method of moving between dimensions generally used to move at lightning-fast speeds.

Sky is a slightly psychotic, unfocused, overly cheerful and somewhat overwhelming blue-haired girl who's skills include incredibly powerful Vocal Magic, powerful control over the summoning and manipulation of cookies, and a hatred of raisins so strong it could light them on fire from fifty feet away. Not often focused, she tends to prefer to share cookies with her friends instead of fighting; Although she will if she has to.

--

As for critique, please don't try to be nice, or anything; If something is stupid, or wrong, or should be changed, please tell me. I've been meaning to go over all the dialogue and change janky or broken lines or jokes,but I may have missed stuff. Download link is just below, please let me know what you think! I'm excited to get some feedback from experienced RPG Maker users or developers, and continue development. Thank you for taking the time to read through all of this, and without further stalling, here's the link-

http://www.mediafire.com/download/uspgnd9i8htggh8/Making_Rent%283%29.exe

Bugfixed version uploaded!

-Fixed bug where the girl outside Alastor's mansion would activate whenever you reload the map, freezing the player in place.

-Fixed bug where you can't re-enter the airship Dock.

-Fixed bug where the overworld music stays the same as the Crumbling Castle Exterior.

-Fixed bug where the player would show up after the intro cinematic in the top corner of the black-screen.

Thank you very much for reading, and I hope you enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2016
    InkPotion, Idril and Stapleton like this.
  2. Capulus

Capulus Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Things are pretty quiet here, so I thought I'd just post an update-

I'm not going to upload a new demo until there are enough quests finished for an endgame; I will, however, be leaving the current demo up, as a proof of intention.

I'll update bi-weekly, or, twice a week in case I'm mixing up my words and sounding dumb; I'll post screenshots of work, and progress updates on how much work has been done.

As for direct input from others, I'm not entirely sure where to put this, so I'll put it here-

I'm in need of someone to draw new icons and battle images for some of my creatures, someone to do sprites for me, and someone who knows how to do complicated events, for advice.

I can't pay, so, I'm not expecting anything, nor am I begging. But if anyone knows anyone, OR if anyone can give me tips for doing my own, that would be greatly, greatly appreciated, and your display name will be in the credits of the game, even if you just give advice. I'm, uh, pretty desperate for better art, honestly.
     As it is, I already have sprites of my mains, but I'm in need of some more for other characters.

I'll also need bug-testers, so anyone who wants to lend their time to play through the game looking for mistakes or broken events or just random errors, please let me know.

--

As for current updates, I've finished Alastor's Mansion, and a bar in the currently empty town, P'Buwo, with another quest beginning there. I've also done a new interior for the Crumbling Castle, a dining hall where I'm going to include a new NPC and some more lore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And, lastly, I'm working on a testing room for debugging and battle testing, before I put too much strength into eventing and details in case I have to overhaul it.

[​IMG]

3. Couch Flipper t(o.ot)

Couch Flipper t(o.ot) Philosopher...? Member

First Language:
    English
    haven't looked at the demo but a few things from the screenshots, i guess. how much effort are you willing to put into the game? i only ask this as the default look of really any rpg engine is... well, quite boxy. if you can figure out parallax mapping, that would make the game look much more unique and make it stand out when its finally released (yes i know even for a small map parallel mapping is quite a pain... but as i said, depends on how serious about it you are). also, as far as looks go, try to find some resources in addition to default (maybe on the forums. vx has been out long enough for plenty of user generated resources to be made and shared :D) to spice it up a bit.

I see that you have a persona for the characters, (and presume you have some base to go off of for the characters, maybe made with the generator) but if you could maybe draw out a more detailed design of the characters, you could have some luck getting a spriter involved. as for eventing, what sort of events are you stuck with? I may be able to help with that if you'd need.

i'll try to give the demo a look if you'd like more feedback on it though. otherwise, good luck with everything :D

4. Capulus

Capulus Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Ahh, well, I have a spriter, luckily xD
    Idril, here on the forums, has done two out of the three urgent sprites I need, luckily.

As for effort... I'm doing my best. I'm not going to lie, I have nothing going for me right now. Relationship's gone to hell, friends are away, family is away, I'm not getting much work. Working on this game is one of the few things I have for... Me. One of the few things I have to actually do to keep myself from going insane. I'm doing the absolute best I can.

For events, it's usually just small details I miss or get confused with; Currently, I'm pretty good, but it would be good to know who's good with eventing so I know who to go to for advice.

As for parallax mapping, could you maybe give me a bit more information on what that is? Stapleton, in the Discord chat, said that I'm good, but he said the same as you; If I used parallax mapping, it'd be a lot better, but he didn't say what exactly that was.

I'll keep an eye out for resources, though, that's a good idea :D

IF you want to be a bugtester, I'd happily give you the current demo, too.

Thanks for the response!~

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2016
  5. Idril

Idril Widdershins Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I didn't know there was a project thread for this up yet - came across it totally by accident. Looking good so far! :D

Parallax mapping is where you make the maps in an external image editor and then import them in - usually using at least one script for the purpose. I use it a lot but I'd argue it's not always necessary with the use of tileset edits - it does lend a lot to the maps, though, and sometimes seems a bit more fun than editing tiles together into a set.

If you're in need of any other graphics help besides those sprites, let me know - I'm pretty busy with projects and school but I'd be willing to do what I can. I'm also pretty good with events (if I do say so myself) and could give you some advice if you need it.

6. Couch Flipper t(o.ot)

Couch Flipper t(o.ot) Philosopher...? Member

First Language:
    English
    ah ok, good that you have some help with the spriting at least :D

Basically, parallax mapping is creating a map in an image editing program such as Photoshop or GIMP then importing the map as a picture into your game.

So, this allows for more complex mapping and overall better looking maps that don't quite look so default. there are tons and tons of tutorials on YouTube about this.

here is an example (though it is kinda poor quality and i messed up a bit of stuff on it, was my first attempt a while ago using rmmv and its resources). doing this you can easily

do things such as recoloring or re positioning resources. this is a quick tutorial for MV, basic concept for any rpg maker though

Parallax Screenshot.png

7. Capulus

Capulus Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Ooh, I'll certainly look into that!

I do think that, maybe, using other resources would be best for me, at the moment, since i'm most comfortable with the RPGMaker map xD
    But thank you, I'll definitely keep that in mind!

I also have an artist willing to do proper icons and such for me, so, that'll be great!

Thanks for your interest/feedback, it means a lot!

8. Capulus

Capulus Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Ahh, Ididn't even see your reply! Sorry! I'm kinda up and down today, pretty busy, so I read this in a rush xD

I AM in need of a few sprites, for sure! As I need them I'll let you know, but I'll let you finish the Hazel one first.

(And if it's already done, sorry, my notifications seem to be playing up :p )

9. Idril

Idril Widdershins Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I finished the Hazel sprite just now :) you didn't miss it before, but it is on the thread now.

10. Capulus

Capulus Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Okay! I just saw the post updated, I'll look now!~