VordGames

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I'm designing a set of docks for my game's major city and to bring that area to life more I want to make it so that there are some large ships docked, loading/unloading goods, etc. These ships would be set pieces and never move so to be clear I'm not trying to make a large ship I can move and walk on or anything like that. Problem is that all the tiles I use (wood floors and walls) automatically put grass/ground underneath them as seen in the picture. Is there a way to prevent that from happening so I can just place directly on the water so it looks like it's actually on the water?

PS Any tips on how to make it look more realistic would help too! I tend to throw rough looking versions of what I want down as place holders until I have the whole map then I rework and detail stuff like that.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• RPG Maker docked ship.jpg
    RPG Maker docked ship.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 32

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The easy way to fix that problem is to Shift-Click a water tile on all surrounding tiles around the boat. That should get rid of the grass that it is automatically adding.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The reason that you are getting the ground showing is because you are using autotiles to make your ship. These displace the water autotile, which is surrounded by grass.

You can get round this using the technique "shift+click mapping" (there is a very good tutorial here) but it would very laborious.

I suggest you create a wood tile from the autotile and put it on the A5 tilesheet that you are using for those maps. That way you will still be able to put your tent from the B-E tile on them.

For feedback on how to make it look better, we have a dedicated thread just for feedback - Game and Map Screenshots. Please post your maps there.

EDIT
Slightly ninj'd.

VordGames

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Wow thank you so much. What exactly is this doing like is it just a command to reconcile edges or something? Just wondering so I know where else I can manipulate it.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think you'll find that the tutorial I linked for you contains all the info you need. And then you just have to play around with it on a test map until you get the hang of it.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I THINK I have a slightly better grasp on drawing my maps now... sorta. I still need to figure out how to draw a city of sorts. I've only got the abstract going so far.
One day, I'll not have this lingering cough and we'll have another make a game stream.
A music I create while practicing E Major scale. :D
Too bad the Boss Battle Build Bout isn't also for VXAce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeins