Making the "Enemy Appear" command work...

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Wacky, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Wacky

Wacky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Greetings all!

I'm having some trouble making a Summoning effect for my first, trial game.

I've read through the various commands and learned of the "Enemy Appear" function and have tried to use that to make some skeletons appear part way through combat.

I've put them together as part of the troop set for the encounter with said summoner, but regardless of how I write the Comment Event, nothing seems to work.

Any advice, or even pointing me towards a tutorial, would be greatly appreciated.  This game is going to be a custom RPG for a friend for Christmas, and it's mostly done.  But I only have a few weeks left to finish it so I'm eager for any suggests.

Thanks!

Sign--

Wacky

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The enemy appear command can only make enemies appear that have been set to "appear halfway" - did you set those skeletons to appear halfway (right-click on the enemy picture in the troop window)?

They cannot be commanded to appear later if they are already in the battle from the beginning.

3. Wacky

Wacky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I have now--thanks!--and it did summon the first skeleton.

But it cannot work a second time.  I placed more than one skeleton in the group, but it doesn't make any more enemies appear.  I'm under the assumption that the numbers I pick refer to which enemy was placed first but is there a way to write the Common Event so that it counts up the enemy change?  I'd be content with a limit of 8 total enemies, but can't figure out how to pull that off.

Any suggestions would help.

Thanks again

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    yes, each enemy can only be appeared once - and the numbers are the indices of the enemies in the troop.

Your common event needs to remember which enemies have been summoned before and change to a different "enemy appear" command with a different index based on what it did previously.

It can be done, but requires some logic checking - for example a variable counter with conditional branches checking how often the common event had been called before.

5. Wacky

Wacky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I see what you're getting at, but I'm still not quite sure how to pull it off.

Here's an animate GIF of what I've done so far.  I feel like I'm almost there but not at the last step just quite yet.

Thank you for all the help you've given me, it's been a huge time saver.

Sign--

Wacky

SummonMinionProblem.gif

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2016
  6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1) Define a variable "number of summons"

2) at the beginning of the battle (or at any time before battleprocessing, including directly after the previous battle), set that variable to zero

3) in your common event, make a series of conditional branches checking this variable - the first branch is called when the variable is zero, the second when it is one and so on.

4) in each branch, use "enemy appear" on the next enemy index that is to be summoned and after that add one to the variable (forcing the common event to go to the next branch n next call)

That's all

Hint: check the enemy appear command in a troop event - if you do that, the ? symbols will be replaced with the indices of the enemies in that troop.

You can't use it there in the way you want, but the common event will react to the same numbers as shown if the command is used in the troop events.

That is due to a logical limitation preventing the common event editor from knowing which of the dozens of troops will contain the enemies that call it.

Wacky likes this.
  7. Wacky

Wacky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks!  I'll give this a go tomorrow when I have more time. :)

Sign--

Wacky

8. Wacky

Wacky Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Okay, I've tried it out and it worked like a charm!  Thanks for all the advice and help on this--it'll really help flesh out my game.

Sign--

Wacky