Making the MZ menu look more like the MV menu?

Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I've currently started an attempt to bring a project from the Rpg Maker MV to the Rpg Maker MZ and I'm struggling to get it to look like I want it to look.

How it used to look in the Rpg Maker MV (here I managed to give it a nice retrofuturistic appearance):
oldscreen.jpg

How it looks now:
newscreen.jpg

I'm having 4 issues,

1. those black boxes

2. the menu scrolling to accommodate more menu points instead of getting bigger

3. the text being centered

4. creating a plugin with the this.outlineColor value changed seems not to actually change the color outline
(also it seems the transparency isn't determined in rmmz_core.js (?) - can it be changed somewhere in the database?)

Is there any somewhat uncomplicated way to make it look more like in the previous Rpg Maker ?

Where is the transparency for the background set (presuming it isn't done in the code, the database doesn't seem to offer an option for that either?)? Is there anywhere an explanation of what does what in rmmz_core.js ?

Also before someone recommends me staying with the Rpg Maker MV; This project iss till somewhat stuck in an early phase anyway and I find some of the new features very practical - and besides that now most of the new plugins will be probably more and more only for the new Rpg Maker, I assume.

Attachments

Ghost of Christmas Kloe

The Icecream Princess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
A simple fix to point 2 would be (either by modifying the JS file or copy pasting the function into a new js file as a plugin) to modify the Scene_Title.prototype.commandWindowRect of rmmz_scenes.js so that wh is calculated using 4 as the row parameter (the first one) for calcWindowHeight() rather than 3 - to make it calculate the size for 4 rows rather than 3.

I'm not really sure how to modify the other aspects but hopefully someone will know how. Hopefully that's helped a bit at least... ^_^;

Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Thanks. Now at least it looks somewhat less weird. And this also helped me fix the exit options which so far also had that same problem with one of the options being hidden.

Last edited:

rpg_el

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I think the window transparency looks great on some modern styles, but horrible on more rustical / medieval styled UIs. I do wish it was just a database option rather than forced upon all users. Anyway, here is how to turn that off:

JavaScript:
(function() {
    Window_Base.prototype.updateBackOpacity = function() {
        this.backOpacity = 255;
    };
})();
It should really be an option in the Systems tab IMHO. That way, people could just choose what is best for their game.

Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Thank you. All I'd need now would be a way to get rid of those extremely ugly black boxes and to find out what part is responsible for determining the color of the text outline. (And whether there is a way to make the text aligned to the left side, but if there is no way to do that, I can live with it).

I assumed that if I copy this whole thing
Code:
Bitmap.prototype.initialize = function(width, height) {
    this._canvas = null;
    this._context = null;
    this._baseTexture = null;
    this._image = null;
    this._url = "";
    this._paintOpacity = 255;
    this._smooth = true;
    this._loadListeners = [];

// "none", "loading", "loaded", or "error"
    this._loadingState = "none";

if (width > 0 && height > 0) {
        this._createCanvas(width, height);
    }

/**
     * The face name of the font.
     * @type string
     */
    this.fontFace = "sans-serif";

/**
     * The size of the font in pixels.
     * @type number
     */
    this.fontSize = 16;

/**
     * Whether the font is bold.
     * @type boolean
     */
    this.fontBold = false;

/**
     * Whether the font is italic.
     * @type boolean
     */
    this.fontItalic = false;

/**
     * The color of the text in CSS format.
     * @type string
     */
    this.textColor = "#ffffff";

/**
     * The color of the outline of the text in CSS format.
     * @type string
     */
    this.outlineColor = "rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)";

/**
     * The width of the outline of the text.
     * @type number
     */
    this.outlineWidth = 3;
};
into a plugin and change the values of this.outlineColor = "rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)"; to the values I want this would do something, but for whatever reason it doesn't.

It should really be an option in the Systems tab IMHO.
And stuff like the text outline. As far as I remember it was possible in Rpg Maker VX Ace to adjust it and to chose between having an outline or a text shadow.

Last edited:

LovelyFlower

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
FWIW I think the second screenshot looks good too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Moderators, you must have so much patience to be able to deal with everything. I mod in a server of sorts and today we just got a message, which, despite it's helpful constructive criticism, basically stated that all of the mods were jerks and that was the only reason our server was unlikeable. So, thank you, for having patience. You are appreciated! :kaoluv:
Haired slime? Trying some different styles of art. Maybe I can make some resources with this new kind of painting.......
i love my game very much
Uh, I'm probably overthinking this, but I think that some of my music sounds kinda...bad?
The melodies are just sort of awkward, and don't flow.
I'm really not sure what to do. Why am I even worrying about this? I don't even have a battle system yet!
And the Lord said, let there be lighting effects! And there were lighting effects! And it was good...ish? Might tweak this some more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SirKeksalot