soryumi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi! I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, so hopefully this isn't random :|

For my game, I decided to make my own tileset, but I'm wondering if it would be better to wait until I complete mapping to do so? I don't want to get burnt out and then not use half of what I make, but I also would like to know ahead of time how the game will look to see if the tiles don't work with the mapping.

Any advice, especially if you have experience with custom tilesets in your games (whether drawn by you or commissioned) would be great :)

shockra

Bored Code Guy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I would figure out at least a general idea of what you need before you start making tilesets. I've tried making my own version of all the tiles in RTP, and I found that I burned a lot of time making tiles I would probably never use. My advice is to start with the most basic tile types, figure out a rough map, then add the other stuff you need. Changing the tiles is pretty straightforward later on, so you can map it out with RTP, then once you know what you need, switch it out.

A possible option is to create a "draft" map in RTP graphics to figure out what is needed. Use that as a foundation to create a version of the map with your graphics, then remove the draft map once you're finished.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you should work on both things in parallel - making the maps and drawing the tiles you need for that specific map at the same time.

That will prevent a lot of wasted work you'll have otherwise.

soryumi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you should work on both things in parallel - making the maps and drawing the tiles you need for that specific map at the same time.

That will prevent a lot of wasted work you'll have otherwise.
I'll definitely try this! thanks sm :kaojoy:

ericv00

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have a few test maps that I build as I make and edit tiles for certain areas. I complete a set then load up the map and place them to see how well they work with other tile types. Actually, I also throw them in when they are still in progress too, so if they don't work as planned, I can rethink before putting more work into them.

I'm also editing the existing RPGMaker tilesets, so if there is a tile that is an approximate to what I want, I'll place it on the map to think about how I want to edit it to work with the tiles I've created, then edit it directly (though I make a seperate "edit" file that I do the work in so I have the unedited tileset for reference if I need it).

But I am not an experienced tile maker, so take that with a grain of salt.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you're talking about drawing your own tiles from scratch, maybe just do very rough, fast versions first, building the tileset as you go. Then when you get closer to finishing your game (or an area at a time) and you're sure you're not going to drastically change the story or the map, you could go back and replace your rough tiles with something of a better quality.

soryumi

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you're talking about drawing your own tiles from scratch, maybe just do very rough, fast versions first, building the tileset as you go. Then when you get closer to finishing your game (or an area at a time) and you're sure you're not going to drastically change the story or the map, you could go back and replace your rough tiles with something of a better quality.
Yeah, this is probably what I'm going to do. The tiles will be from scratch but I'm using custom ones at the moment so I can get a feel for what I want them to look like.
Once I get a few more rooms done I'll probably start inserting some custom tiles.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Then just one added warning here:

completely replacing the entire tileset is an extreme amount of work.

The exact amount depends on your chosen style of course, but one of the professional artists from this site once made calculations about this several years ago. A complete replacement will need a few thousand tiles (you'll need to replace even the grass and dirt tiles after all) and if done in a similar quality to the default set this would have taken her more than a year of her worktime, resulting in a price upward of 30,000$ if done as an exclusive commission.

If you are an artist and are willing to put in that work, go for it - it has been done before and will make your game represent yourself. But don't expect it to go fast, it is a lot of work.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I think it's ready - Chapter Selection:
unknown.png
On another more gaming topic, I paid 20 bucks for a visual novel to emotionally destroy me. I may write an entry about that.
1638611395177.png
Reading about metaverses recently. I can totally imagine myself in the future, logging in with VR glasses to a virtual beach villa sitting in a virtual chair, with a virtual laptop facing the sea...coding 16-bit RM.
Mod name: "[Game name] Gameplay Overhaul"
What they actually mean: "Here is a mod that makes the game harder."
I decided to reinstall one of my most favourite game of all times, Gothic 2. Time to get back to Khorinis!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atmey