Making your own simple, easy Battle HUD, how?

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Ok, I thought I have been experimenting a lot with the battle system lately, and to my surprise...a Battle System that is inspired by Darkest Dungeon is very possible in RPG Maker.

But I already fail at the basics, setting up a good battle hud. Maybe you guys can help me out, and perhaps there is a plugin that does just that. What I want to do is:

The darkest dungeon hud is...simpler in some ways than the standard rpg maker hud. it has no sub menus, basically you can select either items or one of the 4 skills (or you can pass the turn and move up/down the line, but that is not needed).

So when it is the turn of a character, you just see the 4 skills. That is what I want to have. 4 clickable button options when one of my characters is on action. no submenu that you have to access first. Would be nice if the first skill is just an attack with the current equipped weapon (but that is optional).

now, ideally there is another 4-6 buttons for usable items, and the ability to move around the character faces and hp/mp gauges because I want to have them on the right and not down, but that is optional. I want to have the basics down first, 4 clickable skills for every character.

HUD Maker doesn't work, at least for me on 1.6.2 and I am no fan of rolling things back to older version, so that one is out. Even though it sounded like it could do exactly what I wanted.

A friend of mine suggested the Luna Engine and I looked at it and it seems to be awesome, but that is pretty damn advanced, and deep down inside I know that I'm a lazy ass dev that rather lurks hours in this forum, trying to find a plugin that gets the job done...easier :D

Maybe you guys can help me out, maybe you have done something like it or you are currently setting it up for your game.

Please let me know, thanks for your time :)

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Here is a way better visual explanation of what I am looking to do :)

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Sumrndm already made these excellent plugins that allows you to pretty much do anything with the battle menus.

I haven't looked at these because I just assumed they stopped working with 1.6.2 just like the HUD Maker from Sumrndm did.

So the battle-gui-core and the status customizer are still working and no issues with yanfly?

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@mardin SRD_HUDMaker does perfectly fine in 1.6.1, and while its the same version as 1.6.2
I wonder why it doesn't work for you?

I know there are some plugins that doesn't work for 1.6.x. But it should work normally.
If some plugins doesn't function, try to re-arrange the plugins or the plugin a bit higher
in the list, or some other plugin interfer with it that it stops working.

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
@mardin SRD_HUDMaker does perfectly fine in 1.6.1, and while its the same version as 1.6.2

I know there are some plugins that doesn't work for 1.6.x. But it should work normally.
If some plugins doesn't function, try to re-arrange the plugins or the plugin a bit higher
I have already tried it and it didn't work. mainly because of the chrome developer tools opened up instead of the hud maker console. I had it moved around quite a while and tried a lot but it got too frustrating and when I discovered that people had the same problems and made a downgrade to 1.5.2 again I decided to neglect it.

@Gargoyle77 I installed the suggested plugin and it doesn't let you use pictures. It just allows you to rearrange and modify the existing menus, is that right? because in this case, this is not what I need.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
F12 in 1.6.1 open hudmaker just fine here though, can you place your plugin databse list?
maybe something is conflicting it.

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
F12 in 1.6.1 open hudmaker just fine here though, can you place your plugin databse list?
maybe something is conflicting it.
Can Hudmaker do what I want here? Because otherwise there is no need for me to use it, since I used other plugins for the onmap HUD instead.

Can Hudmaker make an imagebased battle HUD with clickable skills and no "attack-skills-defend" menu?

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it can create HUD's, some use it for creating inventories as well,
but as far for battle commands, than no, it cant do that.

for the battle UI with buttons,try to look into MOGhunter Battle HUD, it might
do or not do what you exacly want, but if you can make a sketch/mockup of
what you want, ppl can see if there is some existing of this plugin, or must been
made from scratch.

It wont be that easy and can take a coupe of days using pictures in the way
you can customize it.

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
it can create HUD's, some use it for creating inventories as well,
but as far for battle commands, than no, it cant do that.

for the battle UI with buttons,try to look into MOGhunter Battle HUD, it might
do or not do what you exacly want, but if you can make a sketch/mockup of
what you want
, ppl can see if there is some existing of this plugin, or must been
made from scratch.

It wont be that easy and can take a coupe of days using pictures in the way
you can customize it.
Yes, I have posted that in my 2nd post, the picture shows pretty much exactly what I want.

I will look into MOGhunters plugin further, but I have already taken a look and it seems like it cannot do what I am asking for.

A simpler option or a starting point would be for me if the skills menu is already selected when it is a characters turn. and no option to select "attack" or "defend". It wouldn't be exactly what I want but with further customization, I would be able to get there.

And if I have to pay a skilled rpg maker dev/programmer for that kind of plugin, where would be the best way to find someone that can do that?

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
either in plugin request (if they like to take it up for free) or else in the classified section here.
there are good skilled coders, but if it's out there, hopefully someone can link to it, if not,
try your shot there in the link.

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
either in plugin request (if they like to take it up for free) or else in the classified section here.
there are good skilled coders, but if it's out there, hopefully someone can link to it, if not,
try your shot there in the link.
Thank you!

I will wait a bit first and see if someone knows about a plugin that can do it.

But if there is no such plugin and I would be willing to pay if someone can make it.

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if you ready to pay don’t wait
there no hope to get that clickable picture command with description popup for free
even with pay you need luck to find someone stand up to do it
because it like write a new method up…
I see that command style before from some game here in commercials threads but can’t remember…
2.JPG
I think he write his owns plugin

Last edited:

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
It could also be an icon for example if a picture is too much. The popup would be nice but is not necessary.
But I have seen a lot of popup mechanics lately that work. For example with the Alpha ABS and the Inventory System by Kage Desu, so I do not think it is impossible.

The real priority is that once it is the characters turn, you don't have to select menus to go through, but have clickable skills and items right away.

Is that so hard to achieve, and has no one ever wanted something like this in their own game but me and Haydeos?

pasunna

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
thai
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hard or not it doesn't matter
it's up to the author that they're willing to shared it for free or not...

and I say it is hard... just by my knowledge and experience
you don't need to belive me...

it's great that kage willing to shared it to other
and when he shared to other
there will come up with how to do why it is error
why this plugin is not compatible with that plugin bla bla bla
so... complicate plugin not much to be free public
They don't want to deal with the follow-up problem...

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
it's great that kage willing to shared it to other
and when he shared to other
there will come up with how to do why it is error
why this plugin is not compatible with that plugin bla bla bla
so... complicate plugin not much to be free public
They don't want to deal with the follow-up problem...
Don't really know what you're trying to tell me.
Kage Desu has a ******* (that I am a supporter of) and a discord and himself and the community are very helpful. The plugin is highly advanced and gets constantly updated.

Of course there are questions asked because it is a complicated plugin, but that's why we have forums and communities (like this), so that people can help each other out and solve problems.

So, enough with the offtopic. Again:

Is there a plugin that lets me achieve something like the battle hud that I have posted in the picture above?

or else

Is there a plugin that can help me achieve to get rid of the first battle menu, autoselect the skills menu instead and let me customize it a bit?

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
View attachment 139690
I think he write his owns plugin
Yes, that is pretty much exactly what I want. Except that the enemies in his/her game are not animated, but I guess that's not a plugin requirement!

So it is possible.

Edit : Ok, didn't read that this is most likely his/her own plugin :(. Hopefully I can get in touch somehow

Boonty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Check out Victor Engine plugins! It could be very useful to design your own HUD.

zerobeat032

Cloaked Wanderer...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
well there's a few options here. I almost pulled off what I was trying to do with a few Japanese plugins.

works like SRD HudMaker but I had a harder time getting it to do what I needed honestly. but, there's this...

https://github.com/futokoro/RPGMaker/blob/master/FTKR_GDM_WindowEditor.js

an addon to the other plugin... but it's entirely in Japanese lol. so it was a lot of guess going on. but I feel I could've gotten it to do what I needed with a bit more patience. combine those with stuff like...

https://github.com/triacontane/RPGMakerMV/blob/master/WindowBackImage.js

which customize ANY window so long as you know the um... I guess it'd be called the command(?) name of the window. there's a bunch of preset windows listed... in japanese sorta (you'll have to select them then they'll show in english), but you can add your own. even custom ones provided by custom plugins.

problem is... this is all a lot of work (mainly because of language stuff), but if you're willing, it might help. but there's another solution... but it's really pricey. Luna MV is literally built to customize stuff. and when I got it, it was half what it is now... and I feel once you learn enough, it's the easier option. it can even use Javascript evals in said menus... IE in your case, those actor commands can have different pictures based on what actor is currenting selecting their skills.

but between MOG, SRD, Victor, and what I've listed... there's some ways to get this going.

KawaiiKid

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

I'm on 1.6.1 and also trying to use the hudmaker. I have all plugins turned off except it and super tools (which is required to run it) and pressing f12 now brings up chrome developer tools is there a way to get around this?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A good way to mix your own music? What's the learning curve on that?
Would it be better to pay a composer?
What theme for the next windowskin? You'll decide. Tell what you wanna see and I'll try for.
I just saw in a manga an interesting mechanic - setting up a stationary teleport beacon that one can go to no matter where one is in a dungeon. I think it'll work with a similar setup to how I did my airship transition.

Ooh what if you could set up multiple beacons and choose from a list of the beacons you set up?

Hmm...
Actor2_1 added!

Is the running performance of MZ output to Android platform smoother than MV output?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brainson0815