The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Another awesome tutorial, @Avery! This is super useful. God knows how many times I've needed more than the default stairs when making maps in the past.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
When editing this I had the ridiculous urge to use the actual names for all the parts of stairs, but then realized no one would know what I was talking about, cause the only reason you know what each part is called is if you worked in construction.

But just for my own brain: the horizontal part of a stair you step on is called the tread, the vertical part between treads is called the riser, and the part on the bottom down each side that the treads and risers are attached to are called stringers.

Denadora

Homo Sapiens
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
IT, EN
Primarily Uses
N/A
When editing this I had the ridiculous urge to use the actual names for all the parts of stairs, but then realized no one would know what I was talking about, cause the only reason you know what each part is called is if you worked in construction.

But just for my own brain: the horizontal part of a stair you step on is called the tread, the vertical part between treads is called the riser, and the part on the bottom down each side that the treads and risers are attached to are called stringers.

Aaaaaahhhh man I love precise words as well! :kaolivid: Logophile here <3

As for the tutorial x3

I don’t know about you, but for me that is by far not enough flexibility for my maps.
I couldn't agree more!!!

I myself feel that you need matching stair tiles; complete with railings and posts etc. This tutorial is fundamental imho.

Also I seem to understand compliance to this:
light comes from the upper left corner
is what makes or breaks everything in cases like this. Like, it's a matter of a couple points of darker\lighter color and suddenly everything works (or doesn't). You kind of have to grok pixel art (which, obviously Avery does; and which I don't xD)

I want to go ahead and try and experiment this with stair carpets, too. (Another thing that I love!!) I know that there are several tilesets that have 'carpeted' stairs, but I was thinking it would be nice to have stand-alone carpets, maybe narrower than the width of the stairs, to lay on your stairs regardless of what tilesets stairs you are using (if the heights are compatible, of course).

Avery

Sleeping Dinosaur
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thank you :3
I feel good stairs can make so much of a difference, especially since they can be a huge part of the room or design element.

I am still considering making a part 2 with some further and maybe a little more complex stair edits, but I am not sure yet^^

Denadora

Homo Sapiens
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
IT, EN
Primarily Uses
N/A
WELL if you decide to do it I'll be here <3 xD

Ilithianeae

dont use my moo-cow face, please! ^-^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hello, that tutorial is nice etc... but... how do you do a curved staircase like these one?

curved-staircase.jpg

Ilithianeae

dont use my moo-cow face, please! ^-^
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ah okay! i hope i see these complicated one one day! ^^,^^

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So technically I just ate sausages that were a year old. Use by date was 12/27/2021. But since those dates are just guesses with no scientific reasoning behind them I'll prolly be fine. Guess I know soon if I'm praying to the Porcelain God.
People laughed at me when I said that Activision Blizzard would get bought up by another company if they didn't fire their execs. Now their value has dipped so much Microsoft is willing to buy the company, likely followed by some heavy terminations if they want to purify the current toxic image of Activision Blizzard.
Pro tip: don't be this person.1642536788532.png
ok hear me out here: if the only way my brain can describe things is like with colors is this normal? Like I've described a smell as "dark green and fuzzy" and a taste as "dark blue" like is this a normal thing that happens to people or am I just going insane?? o.0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phelll