Male/Female voice acting (short phrases)

Discussion in 'Visual Novel Maker Resource Request' started by Parallax Panda, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is not really a request as much as me asking where I can find (and possibly buy) pre-recorded sound libraries recorded by professional (or semi-professional) voice actors/actresses.

I've bought the "Japanese Schoolgirls Vol.1, 2 & 3" DLC for VN Maker already - and it's great. And while I'm hoping that there'll be more of these packs released by Degica, I'm not holding my breath (I would buy if more were coming though).

Anyhow, I want more. More female voice tracks too, but I especially need some guy voices to mix in there. I have to say that the VN Maker DLC is really, really well put together so it serves as a good guideline for what I'm looking for in quality, quantity and versatility - simple phrases that could enhance most dialogues (and possibly be reused in many games).

This part of the forum might not be the right one since I'm technically not asking anyone to make this for me (but hey, if you are a skilled voice actor/voice actress feel free to hit me up! :kaopride: ), but I couldn't find a more suitable sub-forum to ask.

Thanks for your time.

2. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    We can't really point you to competing commercial packs, as that's against our rules. Of course if anyone knows where to get free resources, they're more than welcome to share.

I know some of the Japanese sound effect sites I've translated had voice clips, so you might check those out.

3. Soulrender

Soulrender Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Poland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Have you tried IVONA Speech synthesator?

4. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @slimmmeiske2
    I see. The reason I'm asking for commercial male voice acting tracks is because it's not something that Degica is selling (yet?), hence I don't fully agree that it's a competing product. But yeah, I do understand where Degica is coming from (maybe they're being pro-active in case they were to sell such products later).

I'll check out your thread then, it's as good of a place to start as any. Thank you.

@Soulrender
    Nope, I've not. How would that work? Me recording my own voice and altering it digitally? If so I lack the voice acting skills and hardware to do that properly unfortunately. :kaoswt: I guess I'll google it.

5. Soulrender

Soulrender Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Poland
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Parallax Panda - it's simple, you type your text in program, click play and listen, if you are not satisfied with default settings you can adjust pitch, tempo and other vocal aspects and if you're ok, then render text to mp3/ogg.
    But don't expect something spectacular, it's still speech synthesator.

here is short demo:

Sauteed_Onion and Parallax Panda like this.
  6. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Soulrender
    Oh, pretty cool stuff. But I think I rather wait a while longer for the technology to come even further. And while I got the impression that you could probably do some decent voice acting with it (if you put some time into the process, tweaking and fixing), the result isn't on par with the DLC's I already bought from DEGICA so if possible I'd rather get some real voice actors for my current game(s).

I will keep an eye on that software though. Might be something I could make use of in the future. :kaopride: Thanks for sharing!

Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  7. Isaac The Red

Isaac The Red RedMage Veteran

First Language:
    Gibberish
    I mean... what kind of voice acting are you looking for? It's really hard to think about voice samples for VNs without straight up looking for voice over artists to actually voice a characters lines. In RPG maker it would be a little different as you would be more looking for shorter voice bytes for things like on damage, or on attack, or skill use etc. But with VN Maker, it's a different ballgame.

I think you might be better off recruiting voice talent when it becomes necessary for your game, rather than looking to amass voice clips that you 'could' use, or feel the need to use because you bought it. Just my 2 coins on the matter.

8. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Isaac The Red
    I’m not looking for something fully voiced at all and more for grunts, gruffs and simple generic one-liners. And I assume there should be some kind of pre-made voice pack floating the web somewhere. Worst case I migh need to get in contact with voice actors and arrange the whole thing myself but that’s more of a hassle on my part.

Like I said, VN Maker’s ”School Girl” DLC’s are perfect example since I already own them.

9. Celianna

Celianna Tileset artist Global Mod

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've had to hire voice actors to do soundbites for me (grunts, sighs, laughs etc.). I find generic libraries too.... hmm, lacking. I've had a couple of sfx packs that included some grunts (can't mention them here though), but I had much more luck finding VA myself.

Parallax Panda likes this.
  10. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Celianna
    Well, it's difficult to find something perfect that's pre-made and sold as a non-exclusive license. But it should be possible to find something at least decent. I hope. Grunts and gruffs really do make a big difference. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks so, maybe there is a market for this kind of content for VN Maker? ...although I'm not sure how large the actual market for the engine is to begin with. :kaoswt2: