RMMV Mana Raiders[DEMO LIVE]

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by alcreator440, May 28, 2018.

1. alcreator440

alcreator440 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The class system is in the latest version. It contains about 8-15 hours of gamplay, a balance update, a more fleshed out tutorial to help ease players into the battle system, and more. Give it a shot!
    [​IMG]

This game is inspired by the 2D JRPG's of the 90s that involves a dynamic action packed battle system. Taking full inspiration from Final Fantasy 5 this game incorporates a unique job system as well as delivers a rich and engaging story and a memorable cast of characters. The game takes place in the fantasy world of Gethelese that's full of beautiful locals, powerful fiends, and plenty of Mana Raiders where you follow the cunning and capable thief named Aksil on his quest to take the biggest score of a lifetime. However, he soon finds out that he dove into a plot far greater than he could have ever imagined.

This is a hobby project of mine and I have no desire to ever make this commercial. I haven't completed much but if enough people insist I will continue to develop this project.

SCREENSHOTS
    [​IMG]
    A vast world to explore:
    There are many places to travel to in the land of Gethelese. It begins with a beautiful overworld shot of just a portion of the world map.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Action Input Battle System:
    Time your attacks to deliver the pain! The battles are fast, fun, and hard to master. Each weapon has a unique attack sequence that you will have to learn how to use over the course of the game. Have fun experimenting with over 18 different weapon types!

[​IMG]
    Active Dodge System:
    Dodging the enemy is all in your hands! By using any of the directional buttons you can avoid the enemy's attacks! But beware, not every attack can be dodged, which is why...
    [​IMG]
    Active Block System:
    You can actively block the enemy's attacks with your equipped shields! Instead of inputting a simple guard command for the whole turn you can pick and choose which attacks you want to block on the fly, adding a whole new layer of strategy to the game! But don't get too comfortable, blocking consumes MP and depending on the shield it can consume a lot of it. Which is why you might want to...
    [​IMG]
    Active Parry System:
    Parry! That's right, you can parry some of your opponents attacks! Master your timing and make your opponents look inept by parrying their attacks at the touch of your fingertips.
    [​IMG]
    You can even parry projectiles!
    [​IMG]
    A beginning Tutorial:
    Feeling a little overwhelmed with the combat system? That's okay, we start you off with a very basic tutorial before we set you off on your adventure.
    [​IMG]
    Training Dummy System:
    Anytime you want to test out a new weapon or get some practice in good old Kaazaq is there for you. He can help you practice evading the enemy's attacks or be a simple training dummy to practice your timing with new weapons you acquire throughout your journey.
    [​IMG]
    You'll always find him hanging around weapon shops and places you might need him.

[​IMG]
    Hidden Chest System:
    Many areas throughout the game have multiple hidden passage ways that lead to Hidden Chests! So keep a look out and try to collect them all. You'll also be rewarded for how many you find throughout your journey by an NPC.
    [​IMG]
    You'll be informed on how many hidden chests there are when you enter an area.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And how many you have left to find.
    [​IMG]
    You'll even be informed if you have already found all of the hidden chests in an area you revisit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The game also involves plenty of puzzle solving to break up the action in between battles.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CLASSES
    Here is a small list of some of the classes that will be available. I have more planned but these are the ones that I have finished so far. The demo does indeed contain the class change feature but you'll have to get through a couple of hours of story to unlock it.
    • Caster [​IMG]
    This is the basic freelance class that is good for almost any situation but lacks innate abilities like the other classes. They can wield any weapon and have a lot of ability slots. This class does not learn any abilities.
    • Palyth [​IMG]
    Essentially the "Tank" class of the game. These warriors have very high defense and hp and specialize in reducing the block cost of shields for the whole party. They don't have many ability slots but they make up for it by having many equipment slots and a large array of powerful weapons to use.
    • Iynvyk Caster [​IMG]
    The "White Mage" of the game. They focus on keeping the party healed and protected with different barriers. They also have decent defense and offense but their magic isn't as strong as other magic based classes.
    • Blavyk Caster [​IMG]
    The "Black Mage" of the game. They have a selection of multiple offensive spells that they can learn, particularly elemental spells. With their high magical attack they can deal a lot of damage to targets that are weak to magic and or a particular element. The trade off is that they are quite frail and don't have many equipment slots. This class has increased magical damage the more Blavyk Casters you have in your party.
    • Ruuk [​IMG]
    The thieves of the game. They don't have many skills that can be used in battle but they make up for it by being able to make dungeon crawling a lot easier. They make hidden chests a lot easier to find, reach places other classes cannot on the map, and unlock chests and doors. They can also steal from enemies during battle as well as scan them to see how powerful they are. This class innately has less of a chance to be surprised and has a high chance of getting preemptive attacks on the enemy.
    • Argyk Warrior[​IMG]
    They're essentially the physical versions of Blavyk Casters. They can boosts the party's elemental damage and give an elemental property to their attacks. This class innately boosts the user's elemental damage by a large margin.
    • Stagyk Caster[​IMG]
    A magical class that specializes in afflicting the opponent with nasty status effects. They're also quite efficient at buffing the party and debuffing enemies, but watch out, enemy Stagyk Casters can be just as threatening. This class will apply the maximum buff or debuff limit whenever they cast a stat altering spell.
    • Vuardra[​IMG]
    The "Dragoon" class of the game. These warriors are highly effective against fighting fiends, particularly dragons. They innately reduce the damage they take from fiends and dragons and can buff the party's damage against them. They also have access to the extremely powerful "Zuuwl" ability which allows them to leap high into the air and crash down on the opponent dealing massive damage. This technique deals +50% against dragons but requires a spear to be executed. These warriors don't have many skills but they make up for it by being the absolute best at what they do.
    • Jynnth[​IMG]
    These assassins are excellent at taking down single targets. They can boosts the party's critical rate and critical damage during battle as well as their agility. Jynnths come innately equipped with the Eyrbos ability which allows them to automatically dodge virtually any attack for little MP in place of a shield. If they have a Katana or Dagger equipped they can automatically counter the opponent with a 'back stab' that can instantly dispatch any foe that is not immune to death. Overall a highly effective end game class.
    • Myvyk Caster[​IMG]
    Warriors that specialize in mimicking fiend's attacks. Once they have extracted an ability from a fiend they can use it themselves, thus making the class only as strong as the player is dedicated to mastering it. There are a plethora of abilities for this class to learn and some are among the strongest in the game. This class also has great physical and magical stats and a heavy array of weapons, ability slots, and equipment slots.

GAMEPLAY

KNOWN BUGS
    Here are a few known bugs that you should watch out for. They are mainly plugin related so there is very little I can do about them at the moment. But I would appreciate any help.
    • Sometimes when using skills that target all allies they will be used on the enemies instead. I'm using Yanfly's Target Core & Selection Control scripts(most of my plugins are mainly Yanfly's). I personally think either of those scripts are bugged but let me know if you ever had trouble with these scripts.
    • Counter attacks occur even when the user should not be able to. Baring death if the target is supposed to be immobilize or does not have enough MP they will still counter attack if they were targeted twice during the same skill. Again I'm using Yanfly's Counter Control plugin and I think it might be bugged.
    • The ever popular audio bug. Just about everyone has encounter MV's audio bug so I won't say much here but I will mention the fact that since my project requires little to no lag it can really take its toll on the playing experience.
    • Sometimes the enemy's whole turn will be delayed, so when the battle turn actually ends then they will perform whatever action they were going to do. On the surface it might not seem like a big deal but in my troops tab I have a hidden actor that is set to use a skill that displays the battle hud, so after the enemies perform their actions you won't be able to see your hud(you can still select whatever you're going to select if you memorize the positioning of your abilities). This also causes the enemy to act after the state counter has passed which can really hurt the player. I think this bug is related to Yanfly's Battle Engine Core plugin since it is the only major plugin that I have that affects turns in battle. This is very hard to recreate so solving this will be difficult.
    • Possibly related to the above problem, sometimes the enemy(or I guess even actors) will ignore the battle +speed and use whatever skill they were going to use. This can be really annoying since certain skills were just not meant to be performed before others. This isn't game breaking but it is definitely a nuisance. I think it has something to do Yanfly's Battle Engine Core plugin but I'm not sure.
    • Probably one of the more heinous bugs but apparently if you have a character that is using the Equip Shields Ability and has a shield equipped and remove the ability the shield that they were using will be duplicated. This is a major game breaking bug but I don't have a clue on how to fix this.

DOWNLOAD LINK
    Here is the dropbox link to the demo. If you encounter any bugs let me know and I'll try to fix them immediately. If you're having trouble with the link let me know, this is my first time sharing a link through dropbox. As always any feedback is appreciated.

WARNING

If you have a slow computer then I highly suggest not playing it, or at the very least take it into consideration when critiquing it. This game is highly reliant on high performance so if you have a potato computer I can almost guarantee you'll have a miserable time playing it.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    atoms, Starmage, Rogue Milk and 4 others like this.
  2. Sleepy Kitten Games

Sleepy Kitten Games Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Some of those screenshots look like they have Kaus tiles. Might wanna find replacements if they are Kaus tiles, since a lot of "his" tiles were rips of other people's resources.

3. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I found that out after I made my maps with them. I figured since my game will never be commercial what's the point in changing it.

lianderson likes this.
  4. Sleepy Kitten Games

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Personally, I changed my game's tiles when I found out about the situation, even though it's not going to be commercial. I'd rather not have my game associated with what he did.

5. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If enough people make a lot of commotion about it then I'll consider swapping them out, but my whole game is full of ripped assets.

6. Sleepy Kitten Games

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Probably not the best thing to say on the official RPG Maker forum.

7. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ripped as in I use music and some graphics from other official games. Not much different than someone making a pokemon game or something. I pretty much just use stuff from FF and a few other jrpgs.

EDIT: I'll get around to replacing them once I get the chance.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  8. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The OP has been updated. I added the "Classes" spoiler.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
  9. Hero_Claive

Hero_Claive (Phoenix Ember) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Some of the most famous RPG Maker games out there (Manifest, Drunken Paladin, Lunar Wish, Tales of Fantasy XXVIII) all used ripped assets (though that phrasing makes it seem much worse than it actually is), so it baffles me a bit that people still like to nitpick that. As long as credit is given, any requests are listened to, and you have a good reason for using it, I personally don't think it's worth worrying about. This thread probably isn't the right place for that discussion though.

Anyways, I sifted through your game's page and I'm loving the features you've put in. Makes the game very unique; I would take that and keep running with it. Some non-RTP tiles/tile edits would go a long way as well, since you're on the brink between an RTP-ish game and a more defined one (graphics-wise). Though I will say the messages look very... blank, and take up a huge portion of the screen. Maybe consider increasing the text size or even adjusting the size of the windows? I'm sure there's plugins for both.

Best of luck!

10. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the feedback and I'll definitely look into what you suggested. As for the dialogue boxes I'll see what I can do to shrink them but coincidentally the screenshots all show instances where there is little dialogue. I have many big cutscenes where I take up the entire box. I tried enlarging my font when I first changed to it but some of the letters started to get cut off and it ultimately didn't look right. An RPT-ish look is sort of what I was going for but if I come across some assets that fit my game better I'll be sure to jump on it.

11. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Updated the download link and added three new videos to Gameplay.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  12. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Download link has been updated. Fixed a few bugs.

13. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Download link(check the op for link) has been updated. As of right now if you take your time with the demo and complete all of the available sidequests and go after the hidden chests then it should take you somewhere between 4-5 hours. If it's your first time playing then it will take well over six hours to complete all that is available.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  14. onipunk

onipunk Archmage of Procrastination Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The names sound really...overly-complex to me. How am I supposed to pronounce Zuuwl? Zoohl? Zoo-wul? Zoo-vul? And how is that any better than just saying Jump? Conveyance is hugely important in games, and there's a reason that things like jobs and classes have been codified, because players can rely on knowledge they've gained from other games and know roughly what to expect. From other games, we know that thieves steal, knights guard and dragoons jump. We don't immediately know what a Ruuk, a Palyth or a Vuardra does, meaning the names are essentially meaningless and give you no idea what the class might even be about. I honestly like the look of the game, I'm a sucker for job systems, the battle system looks fun and you've clearly put a lot of work into this, I just really, really wish you'd change the job titles to reflect what those jobs are about.

15. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the response! I chose those names because it makes my game and its world more unique and immersive. I also have in-game descriptions of what each class does so you shouldn't get lost in that regard.

Oh and it is pronounced Zoohl.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  16. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm back from a bit of a hiatus. I added a new video(Chimera Boss) and I'll be finishing the "Sanoida Region" soon which leads us back to the main character Aksil.

Here is the new boss:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    Isabella Ava likes this.
  17. Isabella Ava

Isabella Ava Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The Boss battle look real (very) fun at first but then the camera movements make me dizzy ... @.@

18. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Haha thanks! I tried to give the battles a "cinematic" look. Hopefully the dizziness wears off after a while. Also its a little choppy due to me not being able to record it at a solid rate. It's much smoother when you actually play it.

Here is another video; this time it is a story cutscene with a battle thrown in(it's a little choppy due to my laptop not being able to record and play optimally):

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  19. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Updated my game. Here are two new videos for you to check out regarding new content(I'm almost done with this snow region). Keep in mind that it gets a little choppy in parts due to my recording software so it's not the game in those instances.

20. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I made a major update to my game which you can download here(check the op for link). This time you should have about 4-6 hours of gameplay in it and 7-8 hours if you do all of the extra content. But judging by how much you'll be challenged and how often you'll die(due to learning enemy mechanics) it'll probably take you 10-15 hours total(not counting in-game time) to beat everything that is available. I made some balance tweaks which resulted in the game being more difficult but grinding/leveling up is far more rewarding now. I also added a slew of extra hidden items, powerful optional bosses, new areas, and expanded the story to the point where you get back to the main character and unlock the job system(however there currently isn't much content after that point). There are some new screenshots below.

[​IMG]
    This is Girandahf's secret lab. It's completely optional but necessary if you want to fight Fyrvoth, the hardest boss in the demo. Reading the books inside the lab will give you a brief history of the game's world of Gethelese but reading the back of the bookshelves will give you some useful in-game tips. He also keeps a journal that keeps tabs on how many times you've blocked, parried, or dodged an attack, as well as how many different types of enemies you have defeated. His lab also contains many secret chests that can only be opened if you've either dodged, parried, or blocked a certain number of times. You'll be able to visit this place numerous times throughout the game.

[​IMG]
    This enemy disguises itself as a hidden chest and will attack you for opening it. There are currently two in the game hiding within an optional cave that are safeguarding some really nice items. These guys are extremely deadly and love to cast spells. They'll also sneak attack you from behind so it might be best to hold the 'Left' button while you're fighting them so you'll preemptively dodge it.

[​IMG]
    Even though most of the demo takes place in the snow there is a small region available that contains some hot enemies. These dragons are also hiding inside a chest but with Vyrn in your party they should go down without too much trouble, just be weary of their counter attack since it can't be dodged. If you feel it's necessary you could unlock Hoshiah's Aqua Weapon ability to boost your damage in this fight.

[​IMG]
    This is the Fregyk Abyss; a secret area that contains three chests, one of which is locked. You have to travel here if you want to fight Fyrvoth.

[​IMG]
    Stay away from this chest! It may contain one of the most powerful spears in the entire game but it's currently being guarded by a super boss. Even if you had the best gear available to you you wouldn't last two turns against what lurks inside!

[​IMG]
    These guys are safeguarding what you're really after here, Fyrvoth's Aegis; a powerful shield that you will need to take back to Fyrvoth's Shrine in order to fight him. These guys mainly attack with their giant swords which will cut through your shields so you're better off parrying or dodging them. They're tough but if you focus on offense you should be able to handle them. If you unlocked Orna's Egongahnt summon you can deal some nice damage to them since they're weak to electricity.

[​IMG]
    This is by far the most difficult boss in the demo and the main reason why you'll be doing the optional content in it. He himself is completely optional and will require you to have some of the best gear and abilities available in the demo to vanquish. However, just unlocking him will prove to be a challenge because you'll have to complete a series of missable quests(if you want a detailed guide on what to do to unlock Fyrvoth just pm me). If you want a real challenge this is it since he can take upwards to an hour just to learn his mechanics. But before you even think about fighting him be sure to have unlocked the 'Yrmdra Piercer' ability on Vyrn since Fyrvoth has extremely high defense.

[​IMG]
    When you do eventually beat Fyrvoth you'll be rewarded with the most powerful weapon in the demo and in the first half of the game(although I might be designing an even tougher boss right now for the first half). Since there isn't much content available after Fyrvoth you won't have many instances to use it so just think of it as a token for beating the hardest content in the game. Also, if you equip all of Fyrvoth's gear together with this sword then you'll get a significant stat boost.

And that's pretty much it so far. I'm currently working on the next section of the game where the player will be introduced to new characters and the job system. You get a taste of it at the end of the demo but it's incomplete. If you have any questions, comments, or bug reports feel free to post them!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019