RMMV Mana Raiders[DEMO LIVE]

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by alcreator440, May 28, 2018.

1. alcreator440

alcreator440 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey guys! I'm back with a quick update to let you know that my game and I are still alive(lol)! I have a brief video showcasing a new class I've been working on called the Scarlet Caster! It will be available in my next demo update and is unlocked shortly after the current demo ends story wise. It's still being refined but I figured it's worth showing off now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Scarlet Caster - This class is very reminiscent of the Red Mage class in Final Fantasy but with a few of its own unique quirks. This class rewards good defensive play and has some extremely powerful abilities that will be highly favored during endgame. Like Final Fantasy they can use both Iynvyk Arts(White Magic) and Blavyk Arts(Black Magic) but only up to the Tier II spells(there are three tiers in total). They have balanced stats across the board making them suitable for both Magical and Physical combat. However this class might have the fewest number of its own abilities(all of them are showcased below). But don't let that discourage you from using it because these abilities are all extremely powerful:

[​IMG] Scarlet Strike - A powerful physical attack. Its power can be doubled if the user is under the Red Riposte state. This ability is shared with the party(in the video it still has a few glitches that will be easily ironed out for the next demo release).

[​IMG] Red Riposte - This is a rather unique ability in that its a state that activates whenever you parry an attack. Once you have this state your next spell will double in power(in the video below you'll see rose pedals flashing on the character to indicate that they have the effect). The Scarlet Caster innately has this ability and it is shared to your party members as long as the user is alive during combat(in the video there is a minor glitch where Hahrah gets the state without parrying, this will be fixed in the released demo).

[​IMG] Multi Magic - Can't have a proper FFV inspired Red Mage class without having something truly broken about it. This ability allows the user to cast the same spell twice for the cost of one while at Full Mana(works with counter attacks too). However if that wasn't enough whenever you cast a spell while the user is under the effects of Red Riposte then they will cast the same spell four times instead! You'll always hear a chime and see red flower pedals whenever the effect goes off(it can be seen towards the end of the fight in the video). The Scarlet Caster innately has this ability and it will have an extremely high KP cost to unlock so the only way you'll be able to use this ability for most of the game is by staying a Scarlet Caster(this ability is shared to your party during combat though).

Here's the video showcasing the class. It gets a little choppy at parts and there are a lot of minor glitches on display. This is also a mock battle and isn't indicative of the enemies' strength in this new map.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    Biestmann and BlueMage like this.
  2. BlueMage

BlueMage Slime Lv99 Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    I like your game, the battle system look very eye-catching.
    You know what, purchase some custom battlers/battleback and your game could be a great commercial game, i think =)

alcreator440 likes this.
  3. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks! However there's also music and sound effects that are non-commercial too, and the music is basically my muse for making this game. I specifically set out to make this non-commercial since I only view this as a hobby game. I might change my mind later if I find some music that really inspires me though.

BlueMage likes this.
  4. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Here is a mid-game boss fight I whipped up to test out some skills I've been working on. The boss is incomplete and not all of its attacks were displayed. The Comet attack is its initial counter attack if the party has the blue barrier up and it's normal counter attack causes it to fly up and rain down spears on the whole party that are unblockable and take MP on hit(if you play this fight right you shouldn't see it). This attack should be avoided at all cost which is why I held down on the Cancel Counter attack button during the Comet attack and only countered when I had a barrier up. The boss should have more nuanced moves in the actual demo release.

The two kids in the party are royal twins that play a significant role in the story(they're not in the current demo). Rylon, the boy, is a Blavyk Caster and his sister is Rivna, a Iynvyk Caster. These characters are inspired by Palom & Porom from FFIV. The video pretty much contains a mock battle so there are no spoilers concerning them in it. For those interested in the story, the boss in the video is actually a Magi(there will be a whole cutscene and everything leading up to the fight) but I won't spoil who's body they're possessing.

The video also contains some team attacks. I'm still fleshing them out but the criteria for your characters to perform a team attack are that it needs to be a counter attack and the character assisting must be at Full Mana. So far I have some attacks figured out for up to three people but I'm not sure what I want to do for four member team attacks. The four member team attacks might be completely different moves altogether but I have to see how it all fits into balancing. I want team attacks to be the strongest attacks in the game but I don't want to over centralize them. And right now Multi Magic is easily the strongest ability in the game so far(currently thinking how I should balance it).

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    BlueMage and Biestmann like this.
  5. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey guys! To celebrate my demo getting over 10,000 downloads since I released it back in February this year I decided to push out this update regarding a new class a little early!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Galvux - This oddball class is basically the machinist/engineer of the game. It has low stats but 7(out of 8 total) Ability slots and Battle Gear slots. This class is all about the gimmick of luck. All of their abilities hit hard but can hit even harder if the player is lucky. This class is geared towards endgame since its abilities are very expensive and are acquired in a unique fashion. The Galvux will most likely be unlocked somewhat early in the next demo update but the only way to learn any of its stronger abilities is to complete quests for Mithrah(third from left above). She is Hahrah's mother and the game's dedicated mechanic that will eventually fix up an airship for the party.

[​IMG] Rigged Odds - A very powerful and unique ability that grants the user an 11% chance to completely negate damage(you can see a yellow barrier appear and beep when it activates), or triple your damage(you'll see a yellow flash when it activates). These odds are tripled when the user is at Full Mana. This ability also boosts all of the percentages of the class's other abililties by +11%.

[​IMG] Galvux Defense - This is a unique ability in that it has a 33% chance to invert the block cost of guarding to instead restore your mp by that amount. If the user is affected by Rigged Odds then the chance is increased to 44%.

[​IMG] Triple Shot Panic - The third shot of every gun weapon attack will deal x3 damage and inflict confusion(guns have 10 shots at max attack rank).

[​IMG] Gun Expert - Boosts the power of gun weapon attacks by +30%. This is a standard skill that a lot of classes have for certain weapons.

[​IMG] Limit Breaker - Allows the user to break the 9999 damage limit while at Full Mana.

[​IMG] Flame Buster - The user shoots a powerful flamethrower that has a 33%(44% with Rigged Odds) chance to deal x3 damage. You'll hear a mechanical beep and the attack will be a lot bigger if it triggers. This attack deals a lot of damage but can only be used once per turn(even as a counter attack).

[​IMG] Chain Buster - The user drives a chainsaw into the target that has a 33%(44% with Rigged Odds) chance to deal x3 damage. You'll hear a mechanical beep and the attack will be a lot bigger if it triggers. This attack deals a lot of damage but can only be used once per turn(even as a counter attack).

[​IMG] Deletion Cannon - The Galvux's most powerful attack(and possibly the strongest attack in the game outside of summons). This attack can only be used as a counter at Full Mana and will consume all of the user's Mana to fire an extremely powerful shot. Non-boss enemies will instantly die from this attack. This skill can only be used once per turn. The cool thing about this attack is that the damage scaling is only based on how much Mana the user has and is not affected by the user's other stats, making it ideal for every party build(the skill is used at 6:35 in the video)(at 8:22 Rigged Odds proc'd on this ability on a critical hit which is why it did crazy damage).

This is not a true story battle(at least not yet) but there will be a boss battle with these characters in the game. Also this is a team of mothers and daughters.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  6. Biestmann

Biestmann Heaven's Height Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The Galvux sounds like an incredibly innovative class. Great work in thinking up those abilities! The icons are fantastic too, giving a good idea of each ability's effect on a glance.

It's also great to see you incorporate older characters into your game and mothers at that. Fathers are a tad more common as party members (and often die sometime into the story), but mothers are a true rarity. Women of color and mothers at that? It's a JRPG unicorn, and one I am so happy to see.

alcreator440 likes this.
  7. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey guys, I'm back with another video! This post is a bit of a continuation of the last one as it gives a few more details of the Galvux class. The video below showcases what will probably be the final two skills the class will receive. And I don't mean to boast when I say this but this class is beyond fun to play. I literally had to stop myself several times from playing it because it's so satisfying to get those random procs, especially on the grenades.

[​IMG] Ignition Bomb - Lobs a bomb at the target that deals x3 damage to ignited targets(does not remove the state). It has a 33%(44% with Rigged Odds) chance to lob another grenade at a random target(up to 20). These odds are doubled if the user has Full Mana. This skill can only be used once per turn like the others. This skill is also an indirect buff to the Ignition state and is not fire based(it has no element). Comboes well with Flame Buster since getting a crit with that skill ignites the target.

[​IMG] Jammer Grenade - Lobs a grenade that adds a status that causes the target's next attack to deal no damage(you'll see a "JAMMED!" text whenever an enemy with the debuff hits your character. This can be used strategically to nullify unavoidable damage. It has a 33%(44% with Rigged Odds) chance to deal x3 damage and continuously hit the target for up to a total of 10 times. These odds are doubled at Full Mana. This skill can only be used once per turn.

Because the Galvux's abilities are extremely powerful most of the better ones won't be available until the latter half of the game(Rigged Odds especially). Chain Buster will be available early on since it's simple and fun.

The enemies in this video aren't fully programmed and just have mock skills for testing purposes.

I also have some potentially bad news regarding my project. It appears I cannot add team attacks due to: balancing issues, not enough data on future skills I may add, and bug issues. So I'm gonna have to forego that idea, at least for now. I'm not gonna delete the skills so for those who like to peek into the project's files can examine some of them if they wish.

I do have some good news to share though! I've been playing some other games for inspiration(mainly FF14, although I've spent more time on my own project then on that game since I bought it a few weeks ago). And I've decided to revamp some classes to try to make them as fun as the Galvux class. I've been studying random procs in games and when done right can add a lot of fun and excitement with relatively little development effort(don't think I'm gonna give every class a random proc though). Right now I'm looking at the Iynvyk Caster and the Blavyk Caster so my next post might be about those two classes in particular(I actually main a White Mage in FF14 so I have some really cool ideas for my own game).

As for future demo releases I plan on releasing one in the not too distant future(aiming to release one before the year is over) but it won't have all of the content I listed in an earlier post. It will probably have about 2-3 extra dungeons and a little more continuation of the story. The main reason you guys haven't seen many new maps yet is because I've been combing through my project to completely rebalance it(I'm basically redoing it from the ground up in terms of enemies, items, and skills). I made some big changes to the damage formula among other things so I'm in the process of testing skills and tweaking attacks to reduce as much lag as possible. This is why I've been pumping out new classes recently since they're pretty much nothing but skills.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Biestmann likes this.
  8. Biestmann

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To be frank, team attacks seem incredibly difficult to implement in a game that offers so much freedom with its classes. It is energy better spent improving the individuality and fun factor of classes themselves as you announced you will be doing. So I think that is the right call to make. Even just reading about the Galvux class makes it sound incredibly fun to play, and I cannot wait to see what you do with the others.

alcreator440 likes this.
  9. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay guys I have a class revamp of the Blavyk Caster!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Blavyk Caster - The definitive "Black Mage" of the game. Their kit has been reworked and a lot more skills have been added to them. Before the revamp they just had three levels of the elemental spells and three extra spells that were basically "Drain", "Rasp", and "Osmose". To start off I gutted those last three spells and I plan on giving them to either my Myvyk Caster(Blue Mage) or my Tygyk Caster(Time Mage). They were strong before but now they're pretty much a powerhouse class that can pump out the most damage in the game if the player is skilled enough. This class is the definitive glass cannon of the game.

[​IMG]Spell Pact - This was the only unique passive ability the class had prior to the rework and it's pretty much been untouched save for the new icon I gave it. Its effect is for each party member with this ability all of your magical spells will be increased by +20%. At four members the boost is +100% total. This ability is not shared so each member will have to have this ability equipped somehow for the effect to take place.

[​IMG]Staff Expert - Boosts the power of staff weapon attacks by +30%. This is a standard skill that a lot of classes have for certain weapons. This skill was the one other passive the class had before the revamp.

[​IMG]Blavyk Circle - This new passive ability brings a unique mechanic with it. At the beginning of each turn a black circle will appear over the user, and while it is in effect the user's Blavyk Spells will deal +20% damage. It will also increase the odds of it's other abilities to proc by +20%. The state ceases for the rest of the turn if the user performs a dodge of any kind(this includes abilities like Eyrbos, which allows you to perform a dodge when no shield is equipped while holding the block button).

[​IMG]Blavyk Fire - This ability is the main damage mechanic of the class. Whenever the user casts a Blavyk Spell and scores a Critical Hit there is a 30%(50% with Blavyk Circle) chance that the user will perform a "Zyrkalo" spell as their next counter attack. The odds are doubled at Full Mana. This ability is shared with the party.

[​IMG]Zyrkalo, Zyrkaega, Zyrkagos - This series of abilities are basically the "Flare" spells of the game. They deal an immense amount of non-elemental damage. This spell can proc itself and the class's other abilities too. This spell is also boosted by Multi Magic from the Scarlet Caster. Each tier of the spells are unlocked like the others by progressing through the story.

[​IMG]Spell Surge - For one turn the user will not lose their "Zyrkalo" counter attack state once used. The user loses all of their Mana at the end of the turn. This skill can only be used at Full Mana. This is basically a "DPS" button for tough boss encounters that can only be cleared in one turn. This ability is not shared. This ability is an instant cast.

[​IMG]Swift Casting - Upon applying a state through a Blavyk Spell the user has a 30%(50% with Blavyk Circle) chance to immediately follow up with a Blavyk Spell that would normally deal bonus damage to the state. So say for instance the user casts Qualo which applies the Drenched state, the user can then quickly follow up with Iarlo(which is electric) since it normally deals double damage to Drenched targets. The odds are doubled at Full Mana. This ability is shared with the party. This ability is automatic so you don't have to worry about timing the follow up correctly.

[​IMG]Blavyk Spark - Each of your Blavyk Spells have a 30%(50% with Blavyk Circle) chance to apply the Blavyk Spark state. Enemies under this effect will take damage every turn based on the user's magic stat. The odds are doubled at Full Mana. This ability is shared with the party.

[​IMG]Blavyk Lightning, Blavyk Lightning II, Blavyk Lightning III - Whenever the user casts the "Zyrkalo" spell on a target affected by Blavyk Spark there is a 30%(50% with Blavyk Circle) chance the user will follow up with a powerful non-elemental lightning attack. The odds are doubled at Full Mana. This ability is shared with the party. This ability is automatic so you don't have to worry about timing the follow up correctly. This ability can only be used once per turn. Each tier of the spells are unlocked like the others by progressing through the story.

[​IMG]Quad Cast, Quad Cast II, Quad Cast III - The user fires off four spells in rapid succession on random targets in the order of Qualo(water, which applies the Drenched state), Iarlo(electric, which deals double damage to drenched foes), Vyrkalo(nature, which applies Corrosion on crit), and Avalo(fire, which deals double damage to foes with Corrosion). This ability can only be used once per turn. This ability is shared with the party. This ability is not affected by Multi Magic. Each tier of the spells are unlocked like the others by progressing through the story.

Overall these changes force you to "get good" if you want to take full advantage of this class's power. Once you miss a critical hit or are even forced to dodge the power of this class can fall off sharply. Spell Surge is good for tough fights or for some security in case you mess up a crit but it's also risky since you lose all of your Mana.

In my next post I'll be going into detail about the changes I made to the Iynvyk Caster.

10. Biestmann

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Nice work on the rework! Regarding the 'get good' to keep DPS maxed for this class, how would I go about ensuring crits are made and dodges avoided? On first thought, both of these seem dictated by RNG more so than my own abilities. What am I missing?

alcreator440 likes this.
  11. alcreator440

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is a heavily action oriented rpg game. Every single dodge, parry, block, hit, and critical hit is done so manually by the player. There is zero RNG when it comes to these factors. You have to press the "confirm" button to hit your target for every single attack in the game; if you don't input anything you will never hit them. If you press the button too late you will never hit them, however if you press it as late as you can then you will score a critical hit. The timing for scoring a critical hit with magic is a little strict which is why I mentioned the "get good" part. It can be rough if you're not adept at it. There are zero critical hit rate modifiers in the game, you must learn how to properly time your attacks to crit.

In my videos whenever the characters dodge it's due to me actually inputting the proper directional button to dodge. There is zero rng involved. The same goes for whenever a block or parry takes place. If you start a turn and press no buttons you'll get annihilated by the enemy. My game forces you to learn how to play it. That's why I recommended playing with a controller when I update my demo back in February.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 2:49 AM
    Biestmann likes this.
  12. Biestmann

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That's so intriguing! So in a sense that means that this is a rhythm game as well. I'll be sure to hop onto your next demo release when it happens. Really stoked to play this with the reworked classes.

alcreator440 likes this.