alcreator440

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys! I'm back with a quick update to let you know that my game and I are still alive(lol)! I have a brief video showcasing a new class I've been working on called the Scarlet Caster! It will be available in my next demo update and is unlocked shortly after the current demo ends story wise. It's still being refined but I figured it's worth showing off now.

Scarlet Caster - This class is very reminiscent of the Red Mage class in Final Fantasy but with a few of its own unique quirks. This class rewards good defensive play and has some extremely powerful abilities that will be highly favored during endgame. Like Final Fantasy they can use both Iynvyk Arts(White Magic) and Blavyk Arts(Black Magic) but only up to the Tier II spells(there are three tiers in total). They have balanced stats across the board making them suitable for both Magical and Physical combat. However this class might have the fewest number of its own abilities(all of them are showcased below). But don't let that discourage you from using it because these abilities are all extremely powerful:

Scarlet Strike - A powerful physical attack. Its power can be doubled if the user is under the Red Riposte state. This ability is shared with the party(in the video it still has a few glitches that will be easily ironed out for the next demo release).

Red Riposte - This is a rather unique ability in that its a state that activates whenever you parry an attack. Once you have this state your next spell will double in power(in the video below you'll see rose pedals flashing on the character to indicate that they have the effect). The Scarlet Caster innately has this ability and it is shared to your party members as long as the user is alive during combat(in the video there is a minor glitch where Hahrah gets the state without parrying, this will be fixed in the released demo).

Multi Magic - Can't have a proper FFV inspired Red Mage class without having something truly broken about it. This ability allows the user to cast the same spell twice for the cost of one while at Full Mana(works with counter attacks too). However if that wasn't enough whenever you cast a spell while the user is under the effects of Red Riposte then they will cast the same spell four times instead! You'll always hear a chime and see red flower pedals whenever the effect goes off(it can be seen towards the end of the fight in the video). The Scarlet Caster innately has this ability and it will have an extremely high KP cost to unlock so the only way you'll be able to use this ability for most of the game is by staying a Scarlet Caster(this ability is shared to your party during combat though).

Here's the video showcasing the class. It gets a little choppy at parts and there are a lot of minor glitches on display. This is also a mock battle and isn't indicative of the enemies' strength in this new map.

Last edited:

BlueMage

Slime Lv99
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
I like your game, the battle system look very eye-catching.
You know what, purchase some custom battlers/battleback and your game could be a great commercial game, i think =)

alcreator440

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like your game, the battle system look very eye-catching.
You know what, purchase some custom battlers/battleback and your game could be a great commercial game, i think =)
Thanks! However there's also music and sound effects that are non-commercial too, and the music is basically my muse for making this game. I specifically set out to make this non-commercial since I only view this as a hobby game. I might change my mind later if I find some music that really inspires me though.

alcreator440

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Here is a mid-game boss fight I whipped up to test out some skills I've been working on. The boss is incomplete and not all of its attacks were displayed. The Comet attack is its initial counter attack if the party has the blue barrier up and it's normal counter attack causes it to fly up and rain down spears on the whole party that are unblockable and take MP on hit(if you play this fight right you shouldn't see it). This attack should be avoided at all cost which is why I held down on the Cancel Counter attack button during the Comet attack and only countered when I had a barrier up. The boss should have more nuanced moves in the actual demo release.

The two kids in the party are royal twins that play a significant role in the story(they're not in the current demo). Rylon, the boy, is a Blavyk Caster and his sister is Rivna, a Iynvyk Caster. These characters are inspired by Palom & Porom from FFIV. The video pretty much contains a mock battle so there are no spoilers concerning them in it. For those interested in the story, the boss in the video is actually a Magi(there will be a whole cutscene and everything leading up to the fight) but I won't spoil who's body they're possessing.

The video also contains some team attacks. I'm still fleshing them out but the criteria for your characters to perform a team attack are that it needs to be a counter attack and the character assisting must be at Full Mana. So far I have some attacks figured out for up to three people but I'm not sure what I want to do for four member team attacks. The four member team attacks might be completely different moves altogether but I have to see how it all fits into balancing. I want team attacks to be the strongest attacks in the game but I don't want to over centralize them. And right now Multi Magic is easily the strongest ability in the game so far(currently thinking how I should balance it).

Last edited:

alcreator440

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys! To celebrate my demo getting over 10,000 downloads since I released it back in February this year I decided to push out this update regarding a new class a little early!

Galvux -
This oddball class is basically the machinist/engineer of the game. It has low stats but 7(out of 8 total) Ability slots and Battle Gear slots. This class is all about the gimmick of luck. All of their abilities hit hard but can hit even harder if the player is lucky. This class is geared towards endgame since its abilities are very expensive and are acquired in a unique fashion. The Galvux will most likely be unlocked somewhat early in the next demo update but the only way to learn any of its stronger abilities is to complete quests for Mithrah(third from left above). She is Hahrah's mother and the game's dedicated mechanic that will eventually fix up an airship for the party.

Rigged Odds -
A very powerful and unique ability that grants the user an 11% chance to completely negate damage(you can see a yellow barrier appear and beep when it activates), or triple your damage(you'll see a yellow flash when it activates). These odds are tripled when the user is at Full Mana. This ability also boosts all of the percentages of the class's other abililties by +11%.

Galvux Defense -
This is a unique ability in that it has a 33% chance to invert the block cost of guarding to instead restore your mp by that amount. If the user is affected by Rigged Odds then the chance is increased to 44%.

Triple Shot Panic -
The third shot of every gun weapon attack will deal x3 damage and inflict confusion(guns have 10 shots at max attack rank).

Gun Expert -
Boosts the power of gun weapon attacks by +30%. This is a standard skill that a lot of classes have for certain weapons.

Limit Breaker - Allows the user to break the 9999 damage limit while at Full Mana.

Flame Buster - The user shoots a powerful flamethrower that has a 33%(44% with Rigged Odds) chance to deal x3 damage. You'll hear a mechanical beep and the attack will be a lot bigger if it triggers. This attack deals a lot of damage but can only be used once per turn(even as a counter attack).

Chain Buster - The user drives a chainsaw into the target that has a 33%(44% with Rigged Odds) chance to deal x3 damage. You'll hear a mechanical beep and the attack will be a lot bigger if it triggers. This attack deals a lot of damage but can only be used once per turn(even as a counter attack).

Deletion Cannon - The Galvux's most powerful attack(and possibly the strongest attack in the game outside of summons). This attack can only be used as a counter at Full Mana and will consume all of the user's Mana to fire an extremely powerful shot. Non-boss enemies will instantly die from this attack. This skill can only be used once per turn. The cool thing about this attack is that the damage scaling is only based on how much Mana the user has and is not affected by the user's other stats, making it ideal for every party build(the skill is used at 6:35 in the video)(at 8:22 Rigged Odds proc'd on this ability on a critical hit which is why it did crazy damage).

This is not a true story battle(at least not yet) but there will be a boss battle with these characters in the game. Also this is a team of mothers and daughters.

Last edited:

Biestmann

Studio Biest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Galvux sounds like an incredibly innovative class. Great work in thinking up those abilities! The icons are fantastic too, giving a good idea of each ability's effect on a glance.

It's also great to see you incorporate older characters into your game and mothers at that. Fathers are a tad more common as party members (and often die sometime into the story), but mothers are a true rarity. Women of color and mothers at that? It's a JRPG unicorn, and one I am so happy to see.

alcreator440

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys, I'm back with another video! This post is a bit of a continuation of the last one as it gives a few more details of the Galvux class. The video below showcases what will probably be the final two skills the class will receive. And I don't mean to boast when I say this but this class is beyond fun to play. I literally had to stop myself several times from playing it because it's so satisfying to get those random procs, especially on the grenades.

Ignition Bomb -
Lobs a bomb at the target that deals x3 damage to ignited targets(does not remove the state). It has a 33%(44% with Rigged Odds) chance to lob another grenade at a random target(up to 20). These odds are doubled if the user has Full Mana. This skill can only be used once per turn like the others. This skill is also an indirect buff to the Ignition state and is not fire based(it has no element). Comboes well with Flame Buster since getting a crit with that skill ignites the target.

Jammer Grenade -
Lobs a grenade that adds a status that causes the target's next attack to deal no damage(you'll see a "JAMMED!" text whenever an enemy with the debuff hits your character. This can be used strategically to nullify unavoidable damage. It has a 33%(44% with Rigged Odds) chance to deal x3 damage and continuously hit the target for up to a total of 10 times. These odds are doubled at Full Mana. This skill can only be used once per turn.

Because the Galvux's abilities are extremely powerful most of the better ones won't be available until the latter half of the game(Rigged Odds especially). Chain Buster will be available early on since it's simple and fun.

The enemies in this video aren't fully programmed and just have mock skills for testing purposes.

I also have some potentially bad news regarding my project. It appears I cannot add team attacks due to: balancing issues, not enough data on future skills I may add, and bug issues. So I'm gonna have to forego that idea, at least for now. I'm not gonna delete the skills so for those who like to peek into the project's files can examine some of them if they wish.

I do have some good news to share though! I've been playing some other games for inspiration(mainly FF14, although I've spent more time on my own project then on that game since I bought it a few weeks ago). And I've decided to revamp some classes to try to make them as fun as the Galvux class. I've been studying random procs in games and when done right can add a lot of fun and excitement with relatively little development effort(don't think I'm gonna give every class a random proc though). Right now I'm looking at the Iynvyk Caster and the Blavyk Caster so my next post might be about those two classes in particular(I actually main a White Mage in FF14 so I have some really cool ideas for my own game).

As for future demo releases I plan on releasing one in the not too distant future(aiming to release one before the year is over) but it won't have all of the content I listed in an earlier post. It will probably have about 2-3 extra dungeons and a little more continuation of the story. The main reason you guys haven't seen many new maps yet is because I've been combing through my project to completely rebalance it(I'm basically redoing it from the ground up in terms of enemies, items, and skills). I made some big changes to the damage formula among other things so I'm in the process of testing skills and tweaking attacks to reduce as much lag as possible. This is why I've been pumping out new classes recently since they're pretty much nothing but skills.

Last edited:

Biestmann

Studio Biest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
To be frank, team attacks seem incredibly difficult to implement in a game that offers so much freedom with its classes. It is energy better spent improving the individuality and fun factor of classes themselves as you announced you will be doing. So I think that is the right call to make. Even just reading about the Galvux class makes it sound incredibly fun to play, and I cannot wait to see what you do with the others.

alcreator440

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay guys I have a class revamp of the Blavyk Caster!

Blavyk Caster - The definitive "Black Mage" of the game. Their kit has been reworked and a lot more skills have been added to them. Before the revamp they just had three levels of the elemental spells and three extra spells that were basically "Drain", "Rasp", and "Osmose". To start off I gutted those last three spells and I plan on giving them to either my Myvyk Caster(Blue Mage) or my Tygyk Caster(Time Mage). They were strong before but now they're pretty much a powerhouse class that can pump out the most damage in the game if the player is skilled enough. This class is the definitive glass cannon of the game.

Spell Pact - This was the only unique passive ability the class had prior to the rework and it's pretty much been untouched save for the new icon I gave it. Its effect is for each party member with this ability all of your magical spells will be increased by +20%. At four members the boost is +100% total. This ability is not shared so each member will have to have this ability equipped somehow for the effect to take place.

Staff Expert - Boosts the power of staff weapon attacks by +30%. This is a standard skill that a lot of classes have for certain weapons. This skill was the one other passive the class had before the revamp.

Blavyk Circle - This new passive ability brings a unique mechanic with it. At the beginning of each turn a black circle will appear over the user, and while it is in effect the user's Blavyk Spells will deal +20% damage. It will also increase the odds of it's other abilities to proc by +20%. The state ceases for the rest of the turn if the user performs a dodge of any kind(this includes abilities like Eyrbos, which allows you to perform a dodge when no shield is equipped while holding the block button).

Blavyk Fire -
This ability is the main damage mechanic of the class. Whenever the user casts a Blavyk Spell and scores a Critical Hit there is a 30%(50% with Blavyk Circle) chance that the user will perform a "Zyrkalo" spell as their next counter attack. The odds are doubled at Full Mana. This ability is shared with the party.

Zyrkalo, Zyrkaega, Zyrkagos -
This series of abilities are basically the "Flare" spells of the game. They deal an immense amount of non-elemental damage. This spell can proc itself and the class's other abilities too. This spell is also boosted by Multi Magic from the Scarlet Caster. Each tier of the spells are unlocked like the others by progressing through the story.

Spell Surge - For one turn the user will not lose their "Zyrkalo" counter attack state once used. The user loses all of their Mana at the end of the turn. This skill can only be used at Full Mana. This is basically a "DPS" button for tough boss encounters that can only be cleared in one turn. This ability is not shared. This ability is an instant cast.

Swift Casting - Upon applying a state through a Blavyk Spell the user has a 30%(50% with Blavyk Circle) chance to immediately follow up with a Blavyk Spell that would normally deal bonus damage to the state. So say for instance the user casts Qualo which applies the Drenched state, the user can then quickly follow up with Iarlo(which is electric) since it normally deals double damage to Drenched targets. The odds are doubled at Full Mana. This ability is shared with the party. This ability is automatic so you don't have to worry about timing the follow up correctly.

Blavyk Spark -
Each of your Blavyk Spells have a 30%(50% with Blavyk Circle) chance to apply the Blavyk Spark state. Enemies under this effect will take damage every turn based on the user's magic stat. The odds are doubled at Full Mana. This ability is shared with the party.

Blavyk Lightning, Blavyk Lightning II, Blavyk Lightning III - Whenever the user casts the "Zyrkalo" spell on a target affected by Blavyk Spark there is a 30%(50% with Blavyk Circle) chance the user will follow up with a powerful non-elemental lightning attack. The odds are doubled at Full Mana. This ability is shared with the party. This ability is automatic so you don't have to worry about timing the follow up correctly. This ability can only be used once per turn. Each tier of the spells are unlocked like the others by progressing through the story.

Quad Cast, Quad Cast II, Quad Cast III - The user fires off four spells in rapid succession on random targets in the order of Qualo(water, which applies the Drenched state), Iarlo(electric, which deals double damage to drenched foes), Vyrkalo(nature, which applies Corrosion on crit), and Avalo(fire, which deals double damage to foes with Corrosion). This ability can only be used once per turn. This ability is shared with the party. This ability is not affected by Multi Magic. Each tier of the spells are unlocked like the others by progressing through the story.

Overall these changes force you to "get good" if you want to take full advantage of this class's power. Once you miss a critical hit or are even forced to dodge the power of this class can fall off sharply. Spell Surge is good for tough fights or for some security in case you mess up a crit but it's also risky since you lose all of your Mana.

In my next post I'll be going into detail about the changes I made to the Iynvyk Caster.

Last edited:

Biestmann

Studio Biest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nice work on the rework! Regarding the 'get good' to keep DPS maxed for this class, how would I go about ensuring crits are made and dodges avoided? On first thought, both of these seem dictated by RNG more so than my own abilities. What am I missing?

alcreator440

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Nice work on the rework! Regarding the 'get good' to keep DPS maxed for this class, how would I go about ensuring crits are made and dodges avoided? On first thought, both of these seem dictated by RNG more so than my own abilities. What am I missing?
This is a heavily action oriented rpg game. Every single dodge, parry, block, hit, and critical hit is done so manually by the player. There is zero RNG when it comes to these factors. You have to press the "confirm" button to hit your target for every single attack in the game; if you don't input anything you will never hit them. If you press the button too late you will never hit them, however if you press it as late as you can then you will score a critical hit. The timing for scoring a critical hit with magic is a little strict which is why I mentioned the "get good" part. It can be rough if you're not adept at it. There are zero critical hit rate modifiers in the game, you must learn how to properly time your attacks to crit.

In my videos whenever the characters dodge it's due to me actually inputting the proper directional button to dodge. There is zero rng involved. The same goes for whenever a block or parry takes place. If you start a turn and press no buttons you'll get annihilated by the enemy. My game forces you to learn how to play it. That's why I recommended playing with a controller when I update my demo back in February.

Last edited:

Biestmann

Studio Biest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's so intriguing! So in a sense that means that this is a rhythm game as well. I'll be sure to hop onto your next demo release when it happens. Really stoked to play this with the reworked classes.

alcreator440

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys! I have a small update here regarding the Ruuk(Thief) Class. I know I said I was going to show off the Iynvyk Caster next but I'm still tweaking it. To make up for it I'll be showing off another revamped class along with it which should be coming out before the week is over.

Ruuk -
The designated Thief class of the game. This isn't so much of a revamp as it is just some nice healthy additions to the class. Before the changes the class pretty much only had two in-battle abilities which were steal and an ability that allowed the player to check the enemy's stats. All of their other abilities dealt with the game's exploration mechanics(such as jumping over big gaps, preemptive attacks, unlocking chests/doors, spotting hidden chests easier, etc.) so I felt they were kind of dull in battle, but hopefully that's not the case anymore. Now their in-battle gimmick is dodging! This class will heavily reward the player that learns to dodge properly in the game. Below are all the new skills I've added:

Artful Dodger - This ability boosts the amount of Mana one gains from dodging by +50MP. Characters by default gain 50MP per dodge so with this skill it will be +100MP total per dodge. Very useful. Ruuks have this ability innately. This Ability is shared with the party.

Agility Drive - An extremely powerful ability that boosts the user's Agility stat by +50% per dodge. This maxes out at +350% Agility and resets every turn. You may be thinking what's the big deal in a default turn based battle system but the Agility stat not only affects turn order in this game but the user's overall damage. So the higher your Agility the more damage you dish out, and the scaling is pretty strong making this ability a little nutty if the user can get a lot of dodges in. It's innate to Ruuks but it's extremely expensive so it won't be unlocked early. This Ability is shared with the party. You'll see a blue streak over the user whenever they get the boost in the video.

Pocket Blade - The user has a 20% chance to acquire the Pocket Blade counter attack while dodging. The counter is a vicious stab that deals high critical damage and will steal from the target. You'll know when you have this counter when a dagger flips up from the character during the dodge. The odds are doubled at Full Mana. This is another ability that rewards dodging and can even be a substitute for the Swipe(steal) ability. This Ability is shared with the party. I guess you can call the ability this game's version of mug. This skill is used at 1:10 and 2:40, with the crit hitting on the later time link.

Dagger Expert - Boosts the power of dagger weapon attacks by +30%. This is a standard skill that a lot of classes have for certain weapons. This is innate to Ruuks and is shared with the party.

Due to most of these changes being passives it's difficult to gauge the impact they have on gameplay from the video alone(the Galvux is shown off more than the Ruuk lol). Just a side note this dungeon is actually part of story and this is the exact team you take into it. Once completed the Scarlet Caster and the Galvux classes will be unlocked along with a few others(Mithrah is a guest character so she can't change her class like the others). I might show off the boss of this dungeon once I event it(it will be under a spoiler tag).

I also want to give a special shoutout to @Biestmann , @BlueMage , and everyone else who has been consistently giving me feedback whether it's through a simple like or a brief comment on my updates. It means a lot!

Last edited:

BlueMage

Slime Lv99
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVX
Just watched the video, obviously your ability of creating Action Sequence has reached a new level =)
The action sequences were very fun to look at.
About the map, i think area where currently is black shouldn't be that black, at least i want to see things a bits, perhaps the darkness should be 85% or so. It's just my opinion though

alcreator440

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just watched the video, obviously your ability of creating Action Sequence has reached a new level =)
The action sequences were very fun to look at.
About the map, i think area where currently is black shouldn't be that black, at least i want to see things a bits, perhaps the darkness should be 85% or so. It's just my opinion though
Thanks for the compliment! In regards to the map, I normally don't have them that dark but in this case it's actually part of the dungeon's mechanics. Once you touch a devise of a specific color two crystals of the same color light up. Once lit the player can teleport between the two crystals when they touch them. The darkness is used to help the player gauge their progress in the dungeon by seeing which crystals are lit, and also to make exploring to find more crystals a bit harder since some crystals lead to optional items. The Ruuk actually has an ability that lights up a greater area around the player on the map but I didn't show it off because it's not new and I was more focused on showing off the battles.

alcreator440

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm back with two class revamps this time guys! It took a little bit longer to pump this out but one of the classes fundamentally affected the overall difficulty of the game so I had to make sure the changes I made were solid.

Iynvyk Caster -
This is basically the "White Mage" of the game. Their abilities focus on keeping the party alive but they also deal respectable damage on their own. Before the revamp this class went through several changes due to me trying to figure out what works best for this battle system in regards to healing. In the beginning I gave them a skill that casts a buff on the party that healed them for however much damage they dealt. It was very broken and it didn't feel very intuitive. In the current demo I gave the class the basic "Cure" spells that could be used as counter attacks. It's serviceable but I wanted something that was a little more hands on so I decided to gut a lot of its spells and changed them to specified counter attacks that healed the user. I think the class has finally fit into its own mold and best of all is very fun to play(at least to me lol).

I also removed the hp regen abilities and mana regen abilities from the player(some enemies still have them) since I concluded that it was busted when paired with the Guardian Fairies. Later in the game when the player has two or more fairies with them their hp and mana is almost always restored by at least a little per turn since at least one of them is bound to proc. In my testing the player almost always had full hp and mana per turn with both regens and two or more fairies.

Clyrsis Hammer Series -
This will be the party's main form of healing until they unlock the more advanced classes later on in the game(this will always be the best form of healing though). It's basically a physical attack that drains the target of their hp equal to how much damage the user deals. The damage scaling is based on the user's max Mana so it fits into every party build. This skill will be used as a counter if the user has less then 50% hp when attacked. What's also unique about this skill is that it can only be used once a turn and the harder boss battles have turns that last for a long time. To me this ability feels stylish, fun, and fair. This ability is shared with the party.

Manasis Hammer Series -
This ability is similar to the one above except it's for Mana. Not much to say other than I'll probably be balancing the damage of this skill quite often as I playtest it since it can easily end up being broken. This will be used as a counter when the user is below 30% mp. This ability is shared with the party.

Syrrna Smash -
This attack will disable most of the target's passive buffs when it. The debuff lasts for one turn and this ability can only be used once per turn. This ability is shared with the party. I'm still tweaking this skill but the concept will always remain the same.

Iyn Burst -
The user unleashes an explosion of Mana that strikes all enemies and has a high chance to stun(which disables a target for 1 turn). This ability deals low damage but the stun chance is almost invaluable in tougher fights, even bosses are susceptible to stun(although they have a high resistance to it). This is the only offensive magical attack the class has and it is effected by Multi Magic, which honestly might make it broken with all of those chances to proc the stun. This ability is shared with the party(although I might change this).

Pure Casting -
This ability voids the MP counter requirements for all Iynvyk Arts for the whole party for one turn. On the surface it doesn't seem like much but in the more hellish fights this skill can be a life saver. I don't expect the average player to take advantage of this but the more experienced players doing the harder optional content in the game will appreciate it.

Byrmyrros -
This skill grants a blue barrier around the party that nullifies most status ailments and absorbs damage at a reduced 30% rate. This skill is in the current demo but I made the strength of the barrier weaker. This skill cures most status ailments when cast. This also replaced the Syrrn skill which was basically "Esuna" in that it cures all of the status conditions of the party. The user will always counter with this skill if they don't have the barrier up.

Aedrymos -
Revives an ally with half of their hp. If the user has Iyn Expert then some of the target's Mana will be restored as well. Unlike the current demo this skill can only be used once a turn and I made the Mana requirement much higher. I think these tweaks will make the game more difficult while remaining fair.

Iyngos -
Now this is where the class really starts to get interesting! This ability is a state that is acquired when the user performs three Iynvyk Arts in battle. By itself this ability does nothing, but once the user has it they will automatically counter with one of the next three abilities below. The camera will zoom in on the user to show when they have it. This state will not cease when a battle ends either.

Aedrygos -
This is a more advanced version of Aedrymos that completely restores the target's hp, mp, and grants them Byrmyrros. The user will lose Iyngos once this skill is used. This skill can be used any number of times per turn as long as the user has Iyngos. This ability has the highest priority to be used as a counter.

Clyrgigos -
This spell fully restores the party's hp, removes all of their status ailments, and grants Byrmyrros. The user will lose Iyngos once this skill is used. This skill can be used any number of times per turn as long as the user has Iyngos. This ability has the second highest priority to be used as a counter and will only use it if their hp is below 50% when attacked.

Iyngos Hammer -
The user strikes the target with an extremely powerful hammer attack. The damage scaling is based on the user's maximum Mana like the other hammer attacks. This ability will be used if the conditions for the two skills above are not met. What's also unique about this skill is that it replaces the user's main attack command as long as Iyngos is up.

Iyn Expert -
This passive skill halves the cost of Iynvyk Arts and boosts the user's healing power by +50%(healing power affects the damage of Iynvyk Arts). This ability will also grant the party Byrmyrros at the beginning of every battle. This is innate to Iynvyk Casters.

Mace Expert -
Boosts the power of mace weapon attacks by +30%. This is a standard skill that a lot of classes have for certain weapons. This is innate to Iynvyk Casters and is shared with the party.

Argyk Warrior -
Elemental warriors that deal high damage to foes with elemental weaknesses. This is basically the "Spellblade" class of the game. You could sort of consider this class to be a physical version of the Blavyk Caster except they deal more raw damage own their own. Before the revamp this class basically just had the 'Zyn' series skills listed below and a set of skills that changed the elemental attributes of the party's weapon attacks. I gutted the later since I felt it wasn't very conducive to the battle system. I kept their gameplay virtually the same but I added some variety to the aesthetics of their attacks to keep things interesting. While the Blavyk Caster is the damage king when everything lines up for them the Argyk Warrior is much more beginner friendly and straight forward. The Blavyk Caster needs a team to be built around them whereas the Argyk Warrior can be plugged into virtually any team as long as you're not fighting foes that hate physical attacks.

Zyn(Sword) Series - Those who are playing the current demo should be familiar with these skills. The user cuts the target four times in rapid succession with an elemental blade. Before the revamp this skill would hit twice unless the user was an Argyk Warrior. Now it always hits four times and the timing for the skill is a bit easier. This ability is shared.

Zyngas(Spear) Series -
A new addition. The user pierces the target with an elemental spear that deals more damage than the 'Zyn(Sword)' series. This skill can only be used as a counter attack if the user has performed a 'Zyn(Sword)' ability. Basically the skills cycle so after you counter with the 'Zyngas(Spear)' ability the next counter attack will be the weaker 'Zyn(Sword)' version. Then after you use the 'Zyn(Sword)' your next counter, if it would be this skill, will be the stronger 'Zyngas(Spear)' version. Using this skill from the battle menu will always start the cycle with the 'Zyn(Sword)' ability. This skill is shared.

Zyngigos(Ax) Series -
The highest tier of these new attacks. The user strikes with an elemental ax that deals more damage than the 'Zyngas(Spear)' ability. Like I explained before this skill is cycled so after the 'Zyngas(Spear)' ability is used this ability will be used next. This ability deals a lot more damage than the 'Zyngas(Spear)' ability. Now the cool thing about this weapon cycle is that it is shared with the other party members, so say Aksil uses 'Zyn(Sword)' as a counter, then Ramlah's next attack(barring counter conditions are not met) would be 'Zyngas(Spear)', then Hahrah's next attack would be 'Zyngigos(Ax)', then following Hahrah, Ramlah's next attack would repeat the cycle from the beginning with 'Zyn(Sword)'. So basically it's 'Zyn(Sword)' ==> 'Zyngas(Spear)' ==> 'Zyngigos(Ax)' ==> 'Zyn(Sword)'. Another neat thing is that say one character uses 'Zyngas(Spear)' but lose their Mana and they are forced to counter with 'Zyn(Sword)' next since they don't meet the requirements for 'Zyngigos(Ax)'. If the next character were to meet the requirements for 'Zyngigos(Ax)' when the first character failed to meet them then they would still counter with 'Zyngigos(Ax)', even though the first character just used 'Zyn(Sword)'.

Advanced Argyks -
This ability allows the 'Zyn(Sword)' and the 'Zyngas(Spear)' abilities to deal that same amount of damage as the 'Zyngigos(Ax)' ability as long as the user is at Full Mana. This is a massive damage buff but is tricky to maintain in tougher fights for obvious reasons. This ability is shared.

Elemental Extreme -
This attack deals massive elemental damage to a single target by attacking them with every element and all three Argyk weapons. The neat thing about this attack is that it ignores the target's elemental immunities and absorption rates and if the target is weak to any element the power of this attack will double. This attack can only be used as a counter attack once proc'd and there is only a 50% chance for it to proc after the user performs 'Zyngigos(Ax)'. This ability is shared and the odds are doubled at Full Mana(this move isn't shown in the video unfortunately).

Elemental Magic -
A straightforward ability that boosts the user's elemental damage by +30%. This ability is shared.

Elemental Armor - Another straightforward ability that reduces the user's incoming elemental damage by 30%. This ability is shared.

Ax Expert -
Boosts the power of Ax weapon attacks by +30%. This is a standard skill that a lot of classes have for certain weapons. This is innate to Argyk Warriors and is shared with the party.

I hope you guys like these changes! Feel free to share any thoughts you guys have on the revamps.

Below is a bonus video showcasing the Blavyk Caster in the same zone but with more abilities then what was shown in their revamp video. I think the video makes the differences in power apparent between the two classes considering I flubbed a lot of attacks and crits, but this is with a team constructed around the class.

Last edited:

alcreator440

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I forgot to mention this in my last post but I'm almost done with revamping my classes. I'm going to revisit the Palyth(Tank/Paladin) and Yhol-Yin(Monk) classes and complete the Hyrvyk Caster(Herbalist/Chemist). The Palyth and Yhol-Yin classes are not going to get serious reworks like most of the others have due to them already having some incredibly potent and distinguished abilities. Once those are done I'm going to move on to enemies, then items/weapons/armor, and then flesh out the Synthesis System. Once all of that is complete I can finally start on new content.

So far I'm quite pleased with how the revamps have turned out and I think it was all worth the extra dev time. My personal favorite to play so far is the Blavyk Caster. When the battle goes your way they end them very quickly and getting a Blavyk Lightning proc off is extremely satisfying, however they're not good for every situation. Like I stated in an earlier post I won't be able to pump out as much new content as I previously planned in the coming update but with the revamped classes and the new Synthesis System hopefully there should be enough new content for people to chew on until I release another expansion.

Lastly I'm going to be taking a brief quasi hiatus from development. I have some other matters that need my attention right now so I won't have as much time for Mana Raiders until that's settled. Hopefully everything will be done with soon so I can get this next demo update out before the end of the year. However I will still try to squeeze in a little bit of mapping and some gameplay videos on my youtube channel once every week or two. I'm not going to update this forum until I post the new class changes.

alcreator440

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys! I'm back from my hiatus and I have a lot of news to share! First off the next demo release of my game will be called v0.25 and I'm aiming to release it by the end of this month or the first week of December at the latest. This will be the first time I've released a new version of the game since February. Below are a list of new mechanics and changes to the battle system that I think you might like:

Aegis - This is a new system mechanic that all enemies have now. In battle you'll see this icon with a number on it over the enemy. The number indicates how strong the shield is and once it reaches zero the shield will be shattered. Enemies with Aegis reduce the damage they take by 90% and the maximum amount of damage you can deal to them at once is 1000.

The best way to get past an enemy's Aegis is to use special abilities that reduce them. The game will have specific abilities that will be used as a counter to enemies that have Aegis. Once the enemy's Aegis is gone your characters will counter with their normal abilities. Overall this adds a lot of depth to the battles and actually makes them a lot more difficult. Battles were pretty speedy before but now you really have to think twice about what abilities you're going to equip to deal with the enemy's Aegis and what abilities you're going to use once they're shattered.

Shattered - This icon will be displayed over an enemy once the number on their Aegis icon has been reduced to 0. Enemies will take normal damage in this state. When the turn ends the enemy's Aegis will be regenerated back to full but only if they were shattered.

Spirit Shards - Another new mechanic that can have a dynamic effect on the battle. Each turn a character can build up to a maximum of 7 spirit shards which can be spent to increase the damage of the user's next attack for the turn. The damage is multiplied by the number of shards spent. Before these new changes choosing an action during your turn didn't require much thought but now there's a whole new layer of strategy involved. You can lower an enemy's Aegis one turn and then power up a character the next turn so that when their ally shatters them they can blast the enemy with a super powered attack. Since you can prevent yourself from countering enemies with a button press you'll have complete control over the enemy's Aegis this way. What's more is that abilities that reduce the enemy's Aegis always go before regular abilities so it's very easy to setup a Spirit Shard empowered attack.

Overflow - I think most players will appreciate this new mechanic. Basically it allows the user's hp and mp to exceed their maximum amount during battle(think of bubble from FF12). This is great for getting past high ability costs and counter requirements. In tough battles you can be crafty and use an elixir type item to basically double your hp and mp right off the bat. Whenever you have an overflow of Mana you can comfortably block attacks without worrying about losing your Full Mana bonus. There is a lot of strategy and depth that comes with this new mechanic and honestly I'm still trying to grasp all of the meaningful implications of it. This is not an ability so your characters will always have this. Enemies will never have overflow so you don't have to worry about that either.

I know I mentioned in my previous post that I would be covering the Palyth & Yhol-Yin class revamps but due to the nature of these new mechanics those classes were affected the most, therefore need more time for development.

Below is a special class that is exclusive to the female characters of the game. Each gender will have two exclusive classes that the other sex cannot use. Not even most of these class's abilities can be shared to the other gender in battle. In the latter half of the game the player will have permanent access to eight characters that can class change; four men and four women. The women will get the Vahl-Cre and Dancer classes and the men will get the Soul Hunter(undead killer) and Zoh-Gyn(Samurai) classes. The women's classes are more support oriented while the men's classes are more damage oriented. So this does allow the player to go into battle with all four battle members as the same class but I think this makes forming a team a bit more dynamic and complex in the long run.

Vahl-Cre - A wholly unique class that's not based on anything from Final Fantasy(which this game is based on). At first glance this class appears to be an offensive one with its decent number of attack skills but it's actually a support class. This is the class to go to when you want to quickly take out enemies with a high Aegis. All of their offensive skills target the enemy's Aegis and once it's gone...they're not that strong anymore, at least offensively(their stats are high though). This is a bit of a toolkit class in that you learn the abilities you really want and then switch to the stronger classes for more damage. That's not to say this class isn't fun though, at the moment it rivals the Blavyk Caster for me in terms of fun factor, but that might be due to the class's pretty aesthetics. This won't be available in v0.25 but in the update after(which won't be a long wait). You'll have to brave through a small dungeon with the guest character Tehlis(at the end on the right) first before she teaches you the secrets of the class. This class also has a lot of easter eggs attached to it. Ending the battle with a skill from this class or if the last skill used in a battle was done so by a character in this class will prompt a different victory theme.

Shatter Shot -
The user fires a beautiful bow at three random targets that deal 10 Aegis damage each. This is a low damage straight forward skill that shreds through Aegis. A bread and butter skill that's easily unlocked. Male characters cannot use this skill.

Shatter Slash -
An extremely powerful skill if used effectively. It slashes the target three times with the final hit dealing the most damage. It deals 15 Aegis damage per slash but what's really awesome about this skill is that the damage is tripled if the enemy's Aegis is shattered during the attack. This is one of those abilities you'll want to power up with Spirit Shards if the enemy's Aegis is 30 or below since the final hit of this attack can be lethal. This ability can only be used once a turn but if you shatter an Aegis with it you can get another use of it, which makes it great for taking out small fry. Only women can use this skill and it's one of my favorites of the class.

Shatter Dive -
Another awesome skill that's similar to the 'Jump' ability of this game. The user dives at several random targets with a white spear that deals 5 Aegis damage each. You can continuously dive at the enemy as long as you score a critical hit with it. Once you miss a crit or miss altogether the sequence will end. The longer the skill goes on the harder the timing for a critical hit will be. You can get about 9-11 dives in if you're skilled but if you shatter an enemy's Aegis while it's ongoing then the difficulty of the timing is reset. When this happens the most dives you can get is 20. This skill can only be used by the female characters and can only be used once a turn.(I'm still tweaking the balance of this skill so the number of dives is not set in stone.)

Angelic Crash -
I wouldn't be surprised if this move generated a lot of hype. There are two versions of this move: the first is an attack that instantly destroys an enemy's Aegis(6:18 in the video). The second version is an instant kill that will annihilate any enemy that is under 20% of their maximum hp and is shattered(it can be seen at 3:20). This skill is only usable if the user is at 300% of their maximum mp and both versions are automatic so you don't have to worry about button timing. The video's choppiness doesn't do it justice but this attack is full of easter eggs. This skill can only be used by the female characters and can only be used once a turn.

Horn of the Vahl-Cre -
The user blows a horn that heals all party members for 30% of their maximum hp and mp. Allies under the Einherjar's Allegiance state will be recovered for 60% instead. The user will counter with this if either their hp or mp is below 50% and it can only be used once a turn. This skill doesn't require any button presses so it's just a free heal. This is definitely one of my favorites from this class since it's very thematic and the effect is very nice. This ability can only be used by female characters and its cost is based on what your current mp is to prevent cheesing. However if you have zero mp then it's free to use.

Victory Cry -
The user will gain half of their maximum mp whenever they shatter an enemy's Aegis. A very powerful ability that really shines when you're grinding on weak enemies. It can also turn a fight around in a tough encounter. This ability is shared with both genders and is innate to the class. You'll hear a cheer sound effect when this triggers.

Chooser of the Slain -
Reviving an ally grants them the Einherjar's Allegiance state. This is probably the most lore accurate skill this class has and the name of the ability itself is a bit of an easter egg. This single handily forces the player to consider letting near death party members kick the bucket or not. It encourages heat of the moment decision making which works great for this battle system. The downsides of dying are also somewhat mitigated if the dying member knows Horn of the Vahl-Cre. Outside of boss battles or longer encounters this skill doesn't have much use in my eyes however. This ability is innate to the class and only female characters can use this skill, even if it's shared.

Einherjar's Allegiance - Allies with this state will have all of their offensive stats doubled for the remainder of the battle or until they die again(which can be reapplied if they're revived). Male characters will have their stats tripled instead of doubled.

Angelic Aegis -
A simple skill that prevents the user from receiving critical hits while their hp is at least 100%. It may not seem like much but this skill is amazing, especially later on in the game where enemies have a high crit chance and crit damage and use unavoidable attacks often. This skill is shared to both genders and is innate to the class.

Here is the video showcasing the new class as well as the new mechanics. The battle theme you hear is exclusive to that area but I might add a function later on where the player can change the normal battle theme and even the boss theme(it won't be in update v0.25 though). Also I'll keep mentioning this but this game is hard now. I mean it's really tough and challenging now so if you don't like difficult games then this might not be for you. Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Last edited:

Biestmann

Studio Biest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The new class looks fantastic. The finisher special looks incredible! Good work.

Boonty

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Keep me in touch for the next demo. I definitevily want to try it.

Your world seems very deep and rich :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Caught a guy trying to break into our house today. Appearantly he intended to burgle our neighbor (a 94yo widow) but picked the wrong house. Faced with two angry males he was quick to give up without a fight...
I just joined the club of nerds making their own Excel-Sheets to calculate HP / MP / EXP.. parameter curves
Me: "Finally finished most of my game backlog. Probably time to do some gamedev" | Steam: *offer sales*
If I recorded while I created (what I think is) a small plugin, would you be interested enough in the process to watch it?
I keep trying to explain to clients that the huddle masses behind the old K-Mart are a Fallout Reenactment group. Somehow I don't think they believe me. :LZSskeptic:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfhkjsdhfkjsdfhk