Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
~ Mana Shield~
by Alistair

For the latest updates please visit my blog. This is merely an introduction topic.
This Plugin is a mere conversion of its RPG Maker VX Ace counterpart. I have taken some optional notetags out, but they will be added back in in a short time.

Mana Shields are pretty common these days since they allow squishy battlers like Mages or Priests to become somewhat tanky since they have so much Mana to use as a second HP bar.

This Plugin will allow Weapons, Armours and States to act as Mana Shields.

There are several ways to set up a mana shield.

These are the properties that are currently available to be used:

Split - Will split the damage between HP and MP or HP and TP for a set percentage. (That's the one in the screenshot down below)

Absorb - Will absorb a percentage of incoming damage right away.

Reduce - Will reduce incoming damage by a set amount.

Replenish - Will replenish HP, MP or TP when taking damage.

Ignore - Will ignore all damage altogether with a likeliness that you can set.

Remember that you can use all of these in combination. You could have all 5 in one shield (would get pretty messy though).

Combining two or three of these propertys will result in an interesting state, so make sure you play around with it.

Terms of Use, Download and some more words on Usage can all be found on my blog.

Last edited:

Jeneeus Guruman

The Returnee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
I supposed to post my version of this but it seems yours has more versatile than mine. Thumbs up for this.

Optimized

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Great job! An absolute must for any die hard d2 fan:)

Fernyfer775

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
This script will be amazing for my utility based class, thank you so much for this! :D

itzphilip

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Romanian
Primarily Uses
Is there any chance you can make the split option work with tp too?

clitvin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
If you split the dmg 50/50 with mp, what happens when you run out of mp does it revert back to hp dmg?

Alistair

Treasure Hunter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes.
Example: You take 100 Dmg but you only have 20 MP.
In that case you'll take 80 HP Dmg and 20 MP dmg.
After that you'll take full damage until you have MP again.

thespartanshow

Villager
Reaction score
Amazing work! May I may a suggestion? Add something to have the Weapons, Armours and States with an option to only take up to a total amount of damage until it is broken (weapon or armor [the ability to delete the item or even swap it with a different item ie; Broken Sword) or disabled (state)

Radis3D

Just a Devilz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thank you for making this plugin

Will be Useful for next project :) :3

Say, if i put in states and i set end after battle, will it gone when the mana run out but still in same battle? (I mean the state)

SuperMasterSword

That Guy You Dont Know
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you so much for this! I already had an idea for a character with an ability like this and I thought I would have to have it specially requested but it looks like you already did it!

I don't know how hard this would be (or if it would be even possible since all formulas are manually input into the skill's box) but do you think you could make it so that if I set it for 100% of the damage to get it to forcefully use the character's mdef instead of the default? (Maybe only if they have a special tag) If not that's fine, I can definitely use it just as it is but I wanted to see.

VHStapes

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Awesome, love your plugins (previously scripts I suppose), they always bring so much to the table for combat. Thanks!!

Fernyfer775

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Found a small bug.

The shields not only reduce damage, but also reduce healing taken. :p

Alistair

Treasure Hunter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for pointing that out.

Plugin Updated to V1.02:

- Using Replenish will now show popups too

- Healing Skills are now unaffected by Mana Shields

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazing work! May I may a suggestion? Add something to have the Weapons, Armours and States with an option to only take up to a total amount of damage until it is broken (weapon or armor [the ability to delete the item or even swap it with a different item ie; Broken Sword) or disabled (state)
I can look into that.

Say, if i put in states and i set end after battle, will it gone when the mana run out but still in same battle? (I mean the state)
Can you elaborate a bit? I read it several times but I don't quite understand what you want to tell me.

Do you mean if a State will be removed once MP reach 0? In that case, no it won't. A State with Mana Shield capability will be removed like every other state as well. Either because the state's turns run out or a skill or item removes it.

I don't know how hard this would be (or if it would be even possible since all formulas are manually input into the skill's box) but do you think you could make it so that if I set it for 100% of the damage to get it to forcefully use the character's mdef instead of the default? (Maybe only if they have a special tag) If not that's fine, I can definitely use it just as it is but I wanted to see.
Can you explain a bit more? If you wanted the attack to use the user's MDF in the calculation you'd just write that down in the Skills' formula.

Like instead of "a.atk * 4 - b.def * 2" just use "a.mat * 2 - b.mdf * 2"
Those are the default ones from RPG VX Ace.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for all the nice comments. I'm happy that you like the Plugin. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Chaos17

Dreamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Can you add an animation that we could use to show the mana shield ?

Polysquid

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Brilliant, thanks a bunch. Should be able to do some neat things with this!

Would it be possible to add an option to hide all MP-related number popups in combat? My MP drains are all clearly broadcasted in animations/the combat log, and the extra number has always felt like a distraction. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Radis3D

Just a Devilz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Answered...

:3

Thank for the answer

so need other condition to remove it

Won't remove automatically.. :3

Alistair

Treasure Hunter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there any chance you can make the split option work with tp too?
Sorry I missed this. That should be no problem.

Can you add an animation that we could use to show the mana shield ?
I was actually thinking that Yanfly may be releasing a State Animation plugin soon.

Would it be possible to add an option to hide all MP-related number popups in combat? My MP drains are all clearly broadcasted in animations/the combat log, and the extra number has always felt like a distraction.
Aye.

Answered...

:3

Thank for the answer

so need other condition to remove it

Won't remove automatically.. :3
I might build something in, so that a State will be removed once the battler's MP reach 0.

tsukasa102938

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Found an interesting bug and this might be because I'm using Yanfly's battle engine. I have a state set up with <ms_split:50>. The first hit will show up as deal damage and taking MP, but it adds a second MP reduction pop up. Example: I get hit for 26. It takes 13 off HP, 13 off MP, but shows a pop up of 5. It doesn't add the 5 to the damage, it just shows up.

After that all the hits work fine. It does the damage correctly, just has a second pop up.

Really awesome plugin! Coming up with some cool effects with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

buinguyenhoangtho wrote on fizzly's profile.
Hello @fizzly, i would like to use your asset/ resource for my project ( is maybe commercial ). May i have your permission? Thanks you !
Working on breaking the limits of RPGMaker! :cool:
I have 470+ hours on RMMV but have only made a demo game, is this normal? :kaoswt: (I lose motivation a lot plus I use a 32gb laptop, so..)
I like Iron Maiden.
Benku wrote on Magnus0808's profile.
Hey man you helped me out a long time ago with a plugin i was wondering if you can help me out one more time since its literally the last thing i need help with if not is cool but id figured id ask you one more soild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AphoticAmaranth