Management type games?

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Xaeyr, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Xaeyr

Xaeyr Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello all! I am new to the forums and RPG Maker. I bought and have toyed around with RMXP and am excited to dig deeper and maybe come up with something fun. I've always been fascinated with shop management games. How difficult (or easy) would it be to create a tavern/magic shop management game in RMXP?

Thanks in advance!

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You need to explain what a "tavern/magic shop management game" is.

3. bunny-gypsy

bunny-gypsy Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Are you talking about games like Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale or the Atelier alchemist series?

I think I've seen a few rpg maker games similar to those. One is "Fortune's Tavern" where you're a tavern owner. (Available on steam.)

And "Super RPG Shop Keeper Sim", where you own a shop, I think. It was a beta, though?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2015
    Xaeyr likes this.
  4. Galenmereth

Galenmereth I thought what I'd do was Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The amount of work required all depends on your specific gameplay elements. What do you have in mind? There is very little that can't be done, but the amount of work required in terms of custom scripts and resources can vary a lot depending on your plans.

5. Xaeyr

Xaeyr Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Was thinking maybe the main character would be the shop owner who sends adventurers out on, well, adventures to restock their shop. Perhaps for their trouble the shopkeep could reward the adventurers with upgraded gear. Something along those lines. The shop owner would have "bills to pay" and would have regular patrons he could sell to in order to pay his bills. Something along those lines. Just brainstorming at this point. I have seen similar type games before, but wasn't sure how well it could work in RMXP.

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You could do that pretty easily without requiring ANY changes to the scripts whatsoever. Just lots of switches and variables to determine what the shopkeeper wants and has been given.

Play around with the engine a bit and make some basic events. Get a feel for using dialogue, conditions, switches, variables and events.

7. Xaeyr

Xaeyr Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks. Didn't want to start anything TOO ambitious just starting out lol.

8. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Galenmereth's "The Vendor" has a pretty similar mechanic to what you have in mind.

Basically, the answer is that it is doable, but of moderate to hard difficulty (definitely harder than making a standard RPG).  It will require a lot of smart eventing.  Using scripts will make your game better (and may reduce development time), but it's not strictly necessary.

Also, VX Ace would be the best RPG Maker platform for this because it has a few nice Event Commands for selecting items, but it would only be a little harder in XP.