Manga Maker Comipo fantasy add-on?

Discussion in 'Manga Maker Comipo' started by Evan Finkel, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Evan Finkel

Evan Finkel Modeling Beholder Veteran

Lots of peoples do fantasy or historical games in rpg maker, and a good game requires good graphics too.

I tried demo of Comipo, it's nice.. But I may give an idea of fantasy add-on for comipo? Just like causal wear, swim wear.. bla bla bla.. But this should features fantasy clothing, different skin colourings, like green, grey, orange bla..bla bla. If sure, that's great for this forum it will be a very huge "YAY" for rm users!

Thanks all!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2014
  2. hyde9318

hyde9318 RMC Coordinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I second this request, although I feel this is the wrong place to ask for such content. That said, I feel the biggest problem with ComiPo isn't lack of good content, but lack of support for easily customizable content. From what I have gathered online (correct me if I am wrong) is that the English version is severely restricted in terms of custom content, not allowing certain (if any) kinds of imported models. I feel this is a huge problem that gimps the entire system, making it completely useless for anyone wanting something other than schoolgirl manga. When I first read about how characters are done in the system, I thought of doing a modernized version on the Cthulhu Mythos, but I can't see that really being manageable.

As much as fantasy would help, I feel bringing the english version up to par with the japanese version. However, I may be wrong here as I didnt really give the program a very long run through myself, so feel free to tell me to go away if I am wrong, lol.

3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I believe this may already be in the works.  Be aware that this is not an Enterbrain product, so suggestions made here may not make it back to the developers.

4. nio kasgami

nio kasgami VampCat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Naturally I thinked to support comipoo with a lot of stuff but sadly they don't use usual draw model they use 3d modeling....and~ i am a draw maker not a 3d maker xD'...well if the system support typical degital draw I can try my hand a it~

5. Mon Dez

Mon Dez Good Loser Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog/English
    I would be interested to see how the fantasy pack for ComiPo! would make out. The 3D models do work well with RPG Maker and it is a plus for those that can't get the character style they want.

6. Evan Finkel

Evan Finkel Modeling Beholder Veteran

I wish..

Any way, thank you for reading.

7. deilin

deilin Ranger/Elementalist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Any know which program will decompile and open the comipo 3d models. For other programs i modeled for, i was able to open the files and study the structure for best complimentry modeling and rendering. even for some color edits, would be nice.

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wouldn't that be breaching the EULA?

9. deilin

First Language:
    English
    When importing,  one option is a comipo file, so some program has to make them if it asks for the file type. Of course, it could just be a retagged .obj extension. For something your supposed to be able to customize and improve, they leave you in the dark, which is one reason soo many hate the program.

10. Palsa

Palsa General of Aurda Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Zalett Boy, the problem about lack of content, particularly fantasy outfits, has been brought up many times before.

As a matter of fact, I've been using ComiPo! for several years now, and have yet to see a forum or website relating to ComiPo! where the subject hasn't been mentioned at a minimum of ten times. ^_^;

So believe me, they know. :)

Also, that particular problem exists for all versions of ComiPo!, so it's not just the English users that are wanting this; though there are several packs that have not been released for the English version yet.

The problem with fantasy outfits, is that it would be very difficult to produce for ComiPo! in it's present state.

What I'm meaning is, if you've ever looked at the models within ComiPo!, you'll notice that each model pack is basically the same model, with different textures, and a few extra models that are attached to it, which can be interchanged (hair, shoes, etc).

In other words, you can't have a school uniform top with a pair of shorts, every character model is one part.

So basically, if you had fantasy outfits, then you would pretty much have an entire outfit, with very little to customize, aside from the predetermined colors.

Until ComiPo! revises their own system, so that you can change the top and bottom of the model independently, I honestly do not see fantasy outfits anytime soon. :|

Awhile back ComiPo!'s English representative on FaceBook had to go to a conference in Japan, and asked if the English users had any recommendations that they wanted to share with the company executives.

So I posted a list of all of what I see as necessary changes, in order for the software to improve:

For the most part, I still hold the same opinion, and if I were to narrow it down to three things that ComiPo! absolutely must do to survive, it would be:

1. Add an option to manually customize the pose, beyond the presets.

2. Users should be able to create more advanced panels, the only kind ComiPo! offers are rectangular; all other software uses vectors, which include: nodes, angles, curves, etc.

3. More character outfits and content, regularly (and I'm talking by the year at the most).

Correction: the English version of ComiPo! supports OBJ and MQO models, what it does not support is rigged models.

So you can import pretty much any model, as long as it fits within the specifications, just not rigged models.

Also, you can import your own 2D graphics as well,

Nio Kasgami, it does support 2D graphics, so you can.

Deilin, it's not a retagged OBJ, because OBJ files require an additional MTL file to store the material data in.

Now, it could be a retagged MQO file, but I have never checked, so I can't say.

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2014
  11. nio kasgami

First Language:
    French
    Ho it support 2D graphics? ...well I can give a try~

12. deilin

First Language:
    English
    .mqo would make sense. 

A basic skeleton/skin release for people to use would help get people going.

13. nio kasgami

First Language:
    French
    Well naturally this not really help because you stille need to learn how to modeling 3D and i don't know if people will like to do this~

14. deilin

First Language:
    English
    For those who do 3D model, it's a big help to match the style. I've looked at some of the stuff people made, and some match, some don't.

15. Palsa

First Language:
    English
    Well, if they added the ability to attach models to the: torso/chest, neck, waist, shoulder, upper arm, lower arm, wrists, knees, ankles, feet.

And added a means to rig the models that you import, then creating clothing would be a lot easier.

All one would have to do is purchase the swimsuits pack, equip the custom outfit model to the appropriate section, and adjust the bones so that they line up with the character.

16. Jay_NOLA

Jay_NOLA Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just some quicl comments after reading the last few posts.

You can get a basic head for modeling on the Japanese ComiPo! site which is in MQO format.  I think they modeled all the 3D assets in MQO format initially.

Most of the stuff I've seen people make make for ComiPo was done using Google SketchUp or other programs and then converted to MQO format.  With the props etc. not matching up perfectly because of this.

The English version does allow for import just like the Japanese version, but the biggest problem is the file size limit.

I have several 3D models that in .obj format or that I could convert to .obj format easily and the would go over the limit of what I could import into ComiPo! this is a huge limitation.  Most modern 3D models are going to be too big for the program to handle.

Since the Cthulhu Mythos was mentioned I'll use a 3D Cthulhu model as an example.  I purchased a full pose-able 3D Cthulhu model from DAZ last year.  If i were to load it up into DAZ Studio and pose it and then export it as an .obj so I could import it into ComiPo! I couldn't because of the import size limitation.  (Side notes: Content Paradise has a couple of other Cthhulhu Mythos 3D models and they have the same problem as being too big for import when converted.  (The creator sell those cheaper on his site.  Also, read my RPG maker blog entry if you haven't in which I talked about the Cthulhu Mythos and copyright stuff related to that mythos if you do plan to do anything with the Cthulhu Mythos.  Lins to sites for those 3D models:

http://www.daz3d.com/cthulhu-rising

http://contentparadise.com/searchimageviewdetail.aspx?seller=Sixus1Media

http://www.sixus1.com/store/index.php?route=common/home

)

MQO format is also limiting I feel as most 3D software doesn't allow an export of model into it.  MQO is used heavily in the video game industry and is popular in Japan.  So you will have to buy a modeling programing at some point if you want to export into MQO format that allows it.  This will run about $150 or more and you could instead be buying a more powerful 3D program or 3D models instead.

The MQO format from what I've read on some sites is the preferred one to use when importing into ComioPo!

Not having all of the Japanese content including all the free stuff in an English version is another limitation.  Several things that are out in Japan like the modern business stuff haven't gotten and English release.

ComiPo! is good for waht it does but I find I use it more in conjunction with other software.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2014
  17. Palsa

First Language:
    English
    Jay, MQO files are Metasequoia format, the free version of the program allows you to export in that format, and it is probably the best tool to use when exporting in MQO format, simply because they originated it.

The standard version of Metasequoia would be more than enough for use with ComiPo! and it costs $45.

Though I do not use Blender, I'm pretty sure that it has an import and export plugin for Metasequoia format as well, so I see no reason why anyone would ever have to pay $150 for it.

Regarding size limitations: yes, exporting a model from Daz is probably not going to work, simply do to the number of vertexes, the type of models used and the way the textures work, they are just not compatible.

If it could be imported into ComiPo!, then it would most likely cause the program to crash from a memory overload.

From my own experiences with size limitations in ComiPo!, I've found that it doesn't happen all too often, and when it does it's usually do to the number of texture materials used, as it unfortunately cannot exceed beyond 8 textures.

18. Jay_NOLA

Jay_NOLA Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The free version of Metasequoia doesn't allow export of MQO format according to what is on the website.  Only the licensed version does.

The standard version which is $45 doesn't allow import of FBX & COLLADA formats which at some point if you are heavy into working with 3D models you are going to want to be able to import in those formats which only the higher priced one does.  Many of the ComiPo! content I've seen that others made were originally in COLLADA format and brought into Metasequoia for conversion to MQO.

I've got the EX version of Metasequoia on my to buy at a future date list.

Blender I know does have an MQO plugin but I'm not sure if it has been updated to work with the newest build of Blender.  I've only seen it for older builds. Plus Blender isn't a very easy program to use and you'll end up spending a lot of time just learning to do stuff in it that you can learn to do much quicker in other programs.

I have other non DAZ 3D models that are too big for ComiPo!  as I said most modern 3D models couldn't be imported because of the size requirement limitations.

You can do some things to lower the size of a model but that is going to require some work.  In DAZ Studio for example I can use Decimator to reduce the number of polygons in a model and make a lower detailed version.

I do have several small models even some DAZ ones that I can import with no problem but those tend to be older models or very low poly low res ones.

Most of what I have impoted into ComiPo! was older textured obj. format models of props and buildings that would be use for a samurai materials game.

I like ComiPo! but I do wish the import size limit was raised.

19. Palsa

First Language:
    English
    Like I said before, the only problem I've run into with the size limit is for the texture materials, as it can be a huge pain fitting all of your textures into the eight available slots.

Metasequoia's website:

Original format (MQO) export:

Ver3.1 (free): ok.

Standard ($45): ok.

EX ($150): ok.

From the license info during the installation of the free shareware version:

What they are explaining is that all of the versions can both import and export in MQO format, as it is the standard saving format for Metasequoia; however, some formats are limited, so you can import an OBJ file with no problem, but you can't save it in OBJ format, but since ComiPo! supports both OBJ and MQO, that is not an issue.

I've been using the free version of Metasequoia for over eight years, it not only allows you to export in MQO format, but in both the older and newer versions of the format.

[​IMG]

In ComiPo!:

[​IMG]

Prior to writing this post, I went to Metasequoia's website and re-downloaded the free shareware version of the program.

I imported one of the OBJ models I created in Milkshape into Metasequoia, saved it in the MQO format, reloaded the MQO back into Metasequoia and saved it again, then I loaded it into ComiPo! with no problems.

On a side note, I totally agree about Blender, I find the software unnecessarily difficult to learn, and the interface rather intimidating (especially since 90% of the tutorials are for outdated versions where the instruction no longer applies).

I've had different versions over the years, have never once been able to learn or develop an interest in learning the software, and have only found it useful for converting formats, between other more user-friendly softwares, and half of the time it fails to convert them.

What has never made sense to me, is since it is a free open source project, why hasn't anyone with the know how stepped up to make a version with a more user friendly interface?

Milkshape is ridiculously easy to learn, it took me less than a week to learn, so why on earth can't they do the same with Blender? :headshake:

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2014