Manga making-I can read and I can write but I can't draw to save my life!

Elenstria

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm a keen novelist with a good head for writing fantasy...just one annoying thing. I can bring my characters to life through words and can see how they look before me but I can't draw for toffee. I'd love to eventually work with my brother who composes music for games and make it into an RPG but what I want to know is is there anyone out there willing to bring my novel to life without being paid? Was thinking manga/anime characters.

CrypticCuddler

Free Hugs
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you want to make a more story based game I'd steer clear of RPGmaker, unless you want battles, etc.

If you what more story based, check out visual novel engines like Ren'Py

And you should put up your story idea and character outlines to attract people's attention, I'm sure someone on here would help ya.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but what I want to know is is there anyone out there willing to bring my novel to life without being paid?
Artists who can make full comics are in high demand, and each of them can basically choose between dozens of writers if he/she asks around.
So if you want someone to do the graphics for you, you have to give them a reason to do so.

While money is the most often used reason, there are others - like a good story, trading other skills or simply friendship.

But you are the one who has to proove to the artist that you're it - either by giving examples of your writing (prooving the story quality), examples of your other skills you're willing to trade or simply by being around long enough to gain friends who might want to help you.

Unless you can provide something like that, your chances of success when asking for free comic art are ... extremely low.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elenstria

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The main problem is the novel is over 150,000 words and I don't think many people would be really willing to read it all. I'm also busy on my second book which is the second part to mg novel. I could paste in snippets but have to wait til my laptop is fixed.

Battle scenes are included so.RPG could be fitting.

Z3br4

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The main problem is the novel is over 150,000 words and I don't think many people would be really willing to read it all. I'm also busy on my second book which is the second part to mg novel. I could paste in snippets but have to wait til my laptop is fixed.

Battle scenes are included so.RPG could be fitting.
Ever heard of Umineko no Naku Koro ni? It's a visual novel that uses a certain kind of style where the words are written on the screen in a way that you would read it like a normal book. You can do that in Ren'Py, as well as a more "normal" visual novel format. (Those two weren't made in Ren'Py, but that's a relative idea of what you can do with the program.)

Since visual novels usually use sprites/character busts rather than individual pictures (unless it's a special event/scene), it would also probably be easier to find someone willing to draw for you. Manga pages are much more difficult and time-consuming.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Cosmetix.gif

Hey man, why don't you do some progress on your game? Oh, because you'd rather wake up at 5am and spend the night making a cosmetics system for your side view battlers? Ok.
spillycup wrote on Finnuval's profile.
i love u so much! i’m so happy you’re in my life right now :kaocry:
To my horror, I found out I got zero Jack Vance books in my bookshelf! :kaoback: Where do y'all go in the internet to buy used books? Like, not Amazon?
Marquise* wrote on Mrs_Allykat's profile.
Your new logo is sooooo attractive! Feels like those sour liquid candy mixed with the wrapping of the popping candy rocks ones. ^^ It gives flavor and taste to our eyes. ^^
Sorry I couldn't comment before, I relogged here for someone's B-Day yesterday. ((Yeah yeah... been scared got on the throne and all as usual. Being social seems harder than walking now. So sorry to everyone and especially you.))
How goes the game make?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TimothyBlott