Manics patch - is it "legal"?

Parallax Panda

Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So apparently there is this unofficial patch for RM2K3 that's called the "Manics patch". This is not some old hack that was made a long time ago but something more recent that was made after the engine was re-released on steam, as as we know they also patched the EULA when they did so. Allowing for some sorts of modding as I understand it.

Question is, does the "Manics patch" fall under this? Is it legal to make a commercial game using the re-released steam version of RM2K3 with the Manics patch applied?

An official answer would be great.

Here's links to the patch (japanese): Manics patch website
Here's a link to a discussion on RMN: Manics discussion

Morpheus

Jack-of-Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
Not sure if this helps, or if this even applies to 2K3, but if I'm not mistaken, editing the base engine breaks the TOS and therefor any game made with it can't be commercial. I read somewhere on here that is the case with RPGM engines, including changing your games .EXE Icon. Now, would Enterbrain realistically sue you for changing the icon or editing the base engine? Probably not, but, it does break the TOS to do so.

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is true in general, but it's also true that RM2K3 is a bit of a special case with a patched EULA. That's why I'm asking.

Cherry

RM2k(3) Developer (English Version)
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I'm not a lawyer but I don't find any distinction between editor and runtime engine in the patch EULA (and it wouldn't achieve its full goal if it would limit it to one, actually). It just says "RPG Maker 2003 Software".

So actually I don't see why the Maniacs Patch would be a problem.

Disclaimer: Even though my badge says "Developer", I don't speak on behalf of Enterbrain, Degica or KADOKAWA.

Last edited:

Parallax Panda

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for your 2 cents anyway @Cherry. Even If you don’t speak on the behalf of Enterbrain, you’re still one of the people responsiblea for RM2K3’s re-release so it’s good to hear your take on this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Once again working on a game I'm not sure I'm going to sell or even publish
That feel when you're awake past midnight and suddenly you're one year older :ninja:
I miss collaborations, but I don't know how to find someone to make face parts just to share them with others, and even though I don't like writing or music, I can't trust anyone with writing on my game because it has themes that are easy to mess up, and music needs a clear tone and scenes.
People donating to me for my upcoming birthday so I can pay my team a little. Such angels, I'm so happy. T uT I smile so much my face hurts. Good souls in this world.
Playing Ragnarok Online again is very nostalgic. The last time I played it was 20 years ago, when I was ten-twelve old.
My first mmorpg.^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dashstop