Manipulating followers through events?

Chaz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm loving the new Followers system, I think it's pretty cute! I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to use an event to move your followers separately from your leader, or at least to make it look like that's what's happening without any sudden movements.

As an example, say I have a party of two players, and I want to make an event happen where the party leader and their follower split up so they can push two separate buttons, or have them frantically searching a room for treasure. What would be the best way to do this without it looking like the follower's suddenly teleported away from the leader?

wizaerd

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Remove the actor from the party, and create an event that has the graphic of your character, and use event commands to move the character (event) approrpiately to do what you want.  Same as doing a cutscene basically...

Chaz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Alright, that sounds easy enough!

Only problem is that given the nature of followers it can be hard to tell where they'll be and what direction they'll be facing when the event is triggered - Any ideas on a failsafe to make sure the actor switch looks natural, short of a fade out/fade in? I can use fade out/fade in as a last resort but I'd like to be able to actually show party members splitting up at the start of a cutscene and then rejoining at the end of it.

wizaerd

Adventurer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I imagine you'll know the order of your party, so just have the "cutscene" trigger based on a player touch event, placed appropriately so you'll know the direction party members are facing.  For example, for the most part they'll always be facing the main player, unless you stop right after a turn.  So place the event in such a place so the followers are in a straight line, and facing the player.  Then use the methods outlined here to do the rest:

http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tips-and-tricks/events-arent-npcs/

Chaz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Aha, I think I get what you mean. Thanks for the advice!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There were a couple of scripts in Ace that allowed you to control your party followers. I imagine it won't be long before someone releases a plugin to do a similar thing.

Edit: you won't know the order of your party if you let the player use the Formation command, or if they don't have to join you in a certain order. You could use event commands to figure out who's where, and that might require some script calls too, so it can get a bit complicated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mouser

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If it's only two characters, do a short force move to make the characters side by side. Then check actor 1. If it's 'wrong', force the single tile move to have them swap places. Either way then 'kill' the second actor and start the cutscene style event.

Chaz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
A follower manipulation plugin would be ideal for me! Thankfully my game doesn't let the player change the formation of the party, it's a story based, combat-less (Or mostly combat-less) RPG where the protagonist makes a friend and they have a journey together, and the friend helps out on occasion.

Seeing as it's only two characters though, the force-move sounds like it'd work. I'll test it out and see if it does the trick! 

Tyruswoo

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi Chaz,

I saw your post, and I thought you might be able to use my new Follower Control plugin!  You can find it here, if you like:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

image i made on mon-die morning
Everyday I'm hustlin' hustlin'
And now I'm wondering if I only made progress in learning this engine because I was procrastinating on everything else I need to do...
from twitter:
Therapist: and what do we do with our trauma?
Me: give it to a character
Character: NO
other devs: *carefully plan the battle balance (with actual calculation in sheet)* | Me: *randomly throws numbers and skills to see which works*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maltosier