Many a hello to the RPG Maker community.

Discussion in 'Introductions/Farewells' started by Cronith, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Cronith

Cronith Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I have alway been more of a lurker than an outspoken person in forums but maybe I can change that in this community.

Anyway, a little about me. I am a 26 year old computer repair technician with a bit of a hobby with starting 1000 different projects and never finishing anything. I also never truly quit any project I start, which is not necessarily a good thing. I pretty much embody the term "Jack of all Trades, Master of None" as my skill set and interests are so spread out that I have never been able to get truly good at anything. I have a Degree in Computer Programming. I have also put time into getting a Fine Arts degree in Painting and Printmaking. I have a book that I have been writing for the past 12 years and still work on here and there. I am also currently working on designing 3 card games, a board game, and my own version of Brigandine: Grand Edition. And now lately I have been working on bringing my world from my book over to an RPG made with VX Ace. (Still in the conceptual phase untill Ace gets here)

Of course, I will probably still be working on all of this ten years down the line, too. Maybe not, though, if I can get myself to stick with one thing at a time and actually finish something.

Anyway, nice to meet everyone. Even if I dissapear for a while sometimes, I always come back.

starcrescendo likes this.
  2. Reynard Frost

Reynard Frost Designer Member

First Language:
    English
    Welcome! Hope you finish at least one of your projects so you can share it!

3. Ichi

Ichi Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    So... you are me but 2 years younger.... I envy you!!!!! Welcome aboard :D

4. Cronith

Cronith Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the support, guys. Now that I read through some of the other introductions, I see that a number of people have friends and family that support their projects. I kind of envy that. No one I know cares to even look at my stuff let alone critique any of it. Though that is probably because they figure that I will never finish it anyway. Still, it is hard to know if I am going in the right direction if noone cares.

Maybe that wont be the case with my RPG if I can get some feedback from the people here.

5. WizzyT

WizzyT Slayer of Fades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Welcome welcome :D .

I currently work on projects with a friend, It really does make a big difference when you have other people motivated to complete the same project.

6. BadMinotaur

BadMinotaur You can do it! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Don't lose hope, man. I know how it feels to start stuff and never finish-- it's the story of my life. The secret is to start small, and build up to bigger things. If you can finish a small project, you can move on to something slightly bigger, until you're ready to tackle the big leagues.

... oh, uh, also, welcome! =P

7. ADM

ADM Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey dude, nice to see ya being a part of the community. If you need someone to look over your work and give you some advice I'd be happy to do so.

8. Cronith

Cronith Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks. I figured I would give it a go, so I went ahead and posted a small bit of my lore over in the General Discussion -> Plot and Ideas thread. It basically just covers the lore around how magic works in my game, but I just wanted to throw something small out there to see what people think. Nothing that really affects the game too much directly, but my game is heavy on world lore and history, so I still think stuff like that is important to me. I plan on making the majority of that kind of stuff optional to read for those that are not into that type of thing.

With my luck, I probably posted the thing in the wrong place, but I hope not.

9. Nathanial

Nathanial Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Welcome to the forums :)

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi Cronith, nice to meet you :)

Yeah, you'll have plenty of people around here who will love to see what you're working on and give you lots of feedback. While I hope you get to finish something within 10 years, as long as you're enjoying doing it, I guess it doesn't really matter how long it takes.

11. Link

Link Hero of Slime Veteran

First Language:
    English/Engrish
    I enjoy the thought of never finishing anything. I've got a lot I've yet to finish including

12. Knightmare

Knightmare Knight of the Night Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey Cronith and welcome. Nice to see your talents spill into card and board games its a good market.

13. Cronith

Cronith Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Unfortunately, I do not think that I will ever be able to sell them. While the mechanics are original, the content is from other sources. For example, two of the games are based on Dungeons & Dragons. While the card game I am creating with it uses all original mechanics to give it the card game feel, it still uses the characters, creatures, and core concepts of Dungeons and Dragons. Unless I can get WOTC to give me an OK, it will just be personal use for family and friends.

14. starcrescendo

starcrescendo Stargazer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Woah. I read your post and I was like wow how did my introduction post get made without me even typing a thing? :) You sound exactly like me, only a few years older, and with a different tech job. I too SUCK at completing anything, but I've found one thing to help a little bit: You might want to try forcing yourself to work on your game(s) for an hour every weekend. I just do one day a week and even if I have no idea what I'm doing I just build a map for the day, or put it a random cutscene, or build in some random item or dungeon.

It sounds simple but it really does work (at least for me). And once I've forced myself to work on it a bit, then I usually end up engaged in it and end up getting a little extra done.

Welcome to the forums, hope to see you around!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2012
  15. Ichi

Ichi Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    If you ever need some help looking over something let me know! I will check out your plot post as well :)

16. Monkeydog

Monkeydog Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Hello person. You seem neat and accomplished. It makes me feel like I have absolutely no patience for anything.

17. The Infamous Bon Bon

The Infamous Bon Bon Executive Geek Member

First Language:
    English
    I've started lots of things and never finished or never did them again as well.

I had a free zine I started for local artists, writers, and musicians. I was almost ready to publish when life happened.

I started college about 6 times before I eventually committed myself long enough to get some degrees (not that they did me any good).

I made like 5 songs with Fruity Loops and never went back to it.

Wrote some poetry like 10 years ago and have no interest in doing it again.

Me and my brother made our own paper and pencil RPG, but never tried to get it published.

I had fun doing them at the time and that is all that matters and between the forums and my own blog I have gotten some pretty nice encouragement and advice on my project so I would recommend posting ideas cause it really helps keep you motivated.

18. Cronith

Cronith Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the compliment, but I am pretty sure that accomplishment comes with completion. :p

It is great to meet everyone so far. Never expected so many greetings. This community is much more active and friendly than I expected. (Not that I have much experience in forums.)