Philsco

Flipped Out RPG2Knet.com vet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I haven't used RPG Maker series in years, and I really, /really/ miss those different editing layers!  Hoo, boy...  But, nothing can be done about that...

Still, I feel like I'm doing something "wrong," or missing a trick here.  When I'm selecting a tile from the "B" or "C" tab, and I lay it over a tile from the "A" tab, that works fine, no problems.  However, if I later decide, "You know what?  That'd look MUCH better with some darker grass mixed in, there," and I try to replace some grass ("A" tab) tiles with other darker grass (also "A" tab) tiles, then /every/ tile on that square get's replaced!  Every time I do this, I either have replace the bush/ladder/bridge/tree/you-name-it overlayed tile.  Now, is there some way to ONLY grab the bottom ("A") tile or ONLY grab the upper ("B" "C" "D" etc) tiles?  Or, is this just a really, really poorly thought-out "addition" to this specific RPG Maker version?

Last edited by a moderator:

IdarG

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Norwegian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't quite see what you mean by "grabbing" tiles, but if you're having trouble with the layers, then I don't think you can really do anything about it.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I regret to say that in Ace placing a new A tile will obliterate any B-E tiles already there.  If this is something that you really want, it is possible to do this in XP which has 3 layers for mapping.  It's mapping capabilities are much higher than those of Ace.  Ace, however, has a much better database, you can use damage formulas etc.  So it boils down to what is more important to you.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, I've been playing with mapping in XP and it's one of the many reasons I love it over Ace mapping - the ability to edit ground tiles without erasing everything. Unfotunately there's really nothing to be done about it unless you want to get into parallax mapping, which has it's own set of difficulties.

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Wait - you do know there is a pen tool and a fill tool, right?

But you are just dealing with the "you have to start over if you change the bottom layer" issue, right?

As a hint, what I do is go fetch the tile A I want and then choose the location of the tile from B-E ***without clicking on it***

this way I can quickly make the change and I don't forget what was on top of the TileA.

Philsco

Flipped Out RPG2Knet.com vet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
;P Darn!  Was hoping I was just missing something.  I had figured (based on the new layout) that they'd done away with being able to select between layers, but I was hoping against hope that I was wrong...!  I have no clue WHY they got rid of a three-layer system (floor->deco->Event), but Hell, it's just a minor inconvenience!  I got RMVXAce for ~$9 as a steam gift key, so I couldn't turn it down.  Put in waaaay too many hours making custom battle systems and custom menu systems (and day/night, bank storage, lighting effects, item crafting, point-allocation leveling, etc etc) using near-infinite lines of conditional statements and burning up more variable and switch slots than I'd like to admit....

I've given serious thought to parallax mapping.  Back in RM2K3, I remember that the game makers who did that...well haha it was borderline "revolutionary" to make a game based around that.  However, now, many many iterations later, I think it might almost be /necessary/ to do such a thing, as it keeps up with graphics' standards (even with the retro-revolution that's come about) and with a "freedom of movement" script (Like the one I've fallen in love with made by GaryCXJk, which apparently was released a couple years ago, called Free Movement v0.87) it allows for a really, really nice touch of atmosphere and exploration.  I guess until I get more accustomed to the Ruby language (which is thankfully close in nature to many other languages I've learned like C++ and Actionscript) I'll just play the "Parallax+Borrowed Script" game, tweaking his to my needs.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Bluh... glad this present heatwave is coming to a close...
Look what I found, it was my first ABS.

This project was never completed because I had lost the computer where it was stored.
Character Creator for RPGM 2000, VX, XP, & LPC Style Sprites | RPG Maker News #72

Is there any way to get more than 8 enemies in a troop in RMMV or is that limit pretty much hardcoded into the engine?
Stream will be live shortly with some game development! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cornmaniac