Jxkl5

Flying Narwhale
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
Hi,

How would I make a game where a random dungeon is generated after the player does something (such as touch an object)? 

The new levels would all have to have specific game play objects ranging from gold to enemies, but placed in random locations.

Is this even possible? I was thinking of making the game Rouge like....

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You want the dungeon itself to be randomly generated? Or just the locations of the items?

I don't think anybody has done a random map generator script (I made a start, realized how involved it was going to be, and moved on to things I actually needed for my game). You could make several dungeon maps, then use events to teleport to a random one.

Tsukihime wrote a script that lets you place items randomly - one of the methods is to paint an area with region ids, then specify that region id as the available area for events, and it'd choose randomly from any tiles with that region id. That way you know they're not going to be placed in dumb places like on walls or inaccessible cliffs.

Arin

Some happiness we have to let go of.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Fraglspock
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't think anybody has done a random map generator script (I made a start, realized how involved it was going to be, and moved on to things I actually needed for my game). You could make several dungeon maps, then use events to teleport to a random one.
Saba-kun actually has a Random Dungeon creator for RPG Maker VX Ace that mimics random dungeons in a sort of Diablo-esque fashion.

EDIT: http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/1000-saba-kans-random-dungeon-generator-014/

Last edited by a moderator:

Jxkl5

Flying Narwhale
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
Would there be a way to make a simple scrip (or some code in Event> Advance> Script) where it makes a random dungeon with the built in engine?

After that, I just need the events to automatically spawn on the new map. I want to be as original as possible and not use other peoples scripts...

Hollow

(◡‿◡✿)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'd recommend checking out this topic for more tips on stuff like this. The second post in particular is a good example of making randomly generated dungeon maps.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That's still not talking about truly random dungeons though. It mentions templates, preset entrances/exits, but nothing about how to fill out the map.

If you had a true random dungeon, you would not have any control about where the entrances and exits were, or how many there were. There is not a way to generate a random dungeon with the built in engine, since that tool is not available at runtime. If someone has already created a script, then you have 3 options - use the script, write your own, ditch the idea of true randomness. There is no "yes you can have a completely random dungeon generated by your game at runtime without using a script" option.

Jxkl5

Flying Narwhale
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
American
Primarily Uses
I have been thinking about this...  Is there a way to call the existing Dungeon Generator (the one built into the game) then place events (with specific names e.g.: <money>, <enemy>, <portal>, ect.)

on only the floor tiles in the next room? And then have the portals in the first room teleport the player to a random floor tile in the generated room.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you read my post, above yours? I already explained why you can't "call the existing Dungeon Generator (the one built into the game)" when you're playing a game.

The Dungeon Generator is part of the editor. Just like the character generator. It's not included in the games that are created with the engine.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Did anyone else get a 'sever error' a little while ago on fourms? because I did...
So... today was a friend birthday and she explicitly requested this little scene, otherwise she'll come to my house and shot me with a water gun.

Kinda late to the party but if you're trying to make a game with relatively large roster, my suggestion: be ready for a long, long ride yourself.
were the servers acting weird a few minutes ago for anyone else or was it just me?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucianth