Map Generator

Hakumen

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
In need of help of how this plugin works cause i am really new to this Rpg Maker Mv

Like where do i put in the code or how does it works

Really sorry to bother you with noob questions :/

Henryetha

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
In need of help of how this plugin works cause i am really new to this Rpg Maker Mv

Like where do i put in the code or how does it works

Really sorry to bother you with noob questions :/

Maybe you want to wait until DreamX finishes his version of this plugin. 

This one is abit complicated to use and the creator doesn't give support anymore, as it seems.

I am using several plugins of DreamX and they are quite easy to handle + he always provides support and updates for his work.

So the best advice is probably, wait until his release (I am doing so! ^^), meanwhile you can get familiar with MV :3

Hakumen

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Oh, I didn't know it was finish and thx for replying

I will try and figure it out in menatime

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I noticed the layout of the map doesn't generate the same way with the add-on used. It no longer separates rooms with empty areas like the original did. I've also included a pic of one of the big rooms that keeps on generating (and they're usually on the right side of the map for some weird reason.)

Any way to set the room generation to look like the ones from before?

Room generation with add-on:

RDG with add-on.png

Room generation without add-on:

RDG with no add-on.png

Example of a big room generated:

Big Room.png

Last edited by a moderator:

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I haven't looked at the extension for a while, but I don't think I touched the actual map generation much. Most of my focus was where to spawn the events. If you ran the original plugin without the extension enough times, I wouldn't be surprised if you ran into the same results as what you attribute to the extension.

Either way, I'm in the process of making a dungeon generator myself so I don't intend to update the extension. I'll have extra time for the next few weeks or so, so I hope to finish it then.

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I haven't looked at the extension for a while, but I don't think I touched the actual map generation much. Most of my focus was where to spawn the events. If you ran the original plugin without the extension enough times, I wouldn't be surprised if you ran into the same results as what you attribute to the extension.

Either way, I'm in the process of making a dungeon generator myself so I don't intend to update the extension. I'll have extra time for the next few weeks or so, so I hope to finish it then.
Looking forward. I always am up for procedural generation :)

DraynaRue Games

CPU Candidate
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Looking forward. I always am up for procedural generation :)
Same :)  Procedural Generation is so useful, especially when you want a really long or infinite floor dungeon. It also means that the player can't memories the dungeon layout so each dungeon crawl is a new adventure even if it's the same dungeon they've been to 5 times already.

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you for your support. To aid in the process of making the generator customizable, I would like everyone's thoughts on what kind of options they desire. Not all suggestions may be practical to implement, but they will be considered and put in if I reasonably can. Assume that everything that exists in my extension for Sanshiro's version will be in my version, so no need to suggest those.

I am modeling the procedural generation on Persona 4's dungeons. Here are a few examples:

In the end it may not be exactly like this, but this is the general idea. My current plan is like this: First, generate the straight horizontal and vertical paths. Then add rooms to the side or "on top" of these paths. Next, generate any necessary paths to make sure that the map is strongly connected (you can reach any part of the map from any part of the map). After that, generate the events. Then, store all of this data into the database at run time as a new map and transfer the player. Allow for saving in while in these generated maps by including the map in save data.

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I like it. I don't know much about the plugin in the main topic I only skimmed through it.  But I sort of like this design in last picture a lot. I enjoy making large maze like dungeons. I just hope there will be some sort of option for event based mobs for people who don't use the old style of mob spawns. Maybe there is a special map you create all the events and label them from normal mobs to bosses.

But looking forward to it :)

DraynaRue Games

CPU Candidate
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you for your support. To aid in the process of making the generator customizable, I would like everyone's thoughts on what kind of options they desire. Not all suggestions may be practical to implement, but they will be considered and put in if I reasonably can. Assume that everything that exists in my extension for Sanshiro's version will be in my version, so no need to suggest those.

I am modeling the procedural generation on Persona 4's dungeons. Here are a few examples:

In the end it may not be exactly like this, but this is the general idea. My current plan is like this: First, generate the straight horizontal and vertical paths. Then add rooms to the side or "on top" of these paths. Next, generate any necessary paths to make sure that the map is strongly connected (you can reach any part of the map from any part of the map). After that, generate the events. Then, store all of this data into the database at run time as a new map and transfer the player. Allow for saving in while in these generated maps by including the map in save data.
Yes! I love Persona 4's dungeon generation <3 I honestly can't wait for this :)

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The essential options would be:

1. Control over room sizes & number of rooms

2. Event spawning (number per room or map)

3. The decision whether to include walls & ceiling tiles (for 'open space' maps with just floor tiles)

4. Control of where events can or can't spawn

(current version still puts chests at opening to passageways & some chests get clustered together)

That's all the options I can think of at the moment. Looking forward to seeing your version of it. Hopefully it'll be better than Sanshiro's version.

Ravenith

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
@DreamX:

Going the Persona way is a good idea!

As far as suggestions go, you might consider implementing the option of having premade rooms by using map regions.

These could be start, end or normal rooms, maybe even with a random chance of actually appearing in the generated map.

DraynaRue Games

CPU Candidate
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@DreamX:

Going the Persona way is a good idea!

As far as suggestions go, you might consider implementing the option of having premade rooms by using map regions.

These could be start, end or normal rooms, maybe even with a random chance of actually appearing in the generated map.
Oh kinda like in PMD (Pokemon Mystery Dungeon) where you could come across locked treasure rooms and dungeon shops.

Mojo907

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The essential options would be:

1. Control over room sizes & number of rooms

2. Event spawning (number per room or map)

3. The decision whether to include walls & ceiling tiles (for 'open space' maps with just floor tiles)

4. Control of where events can or can't spawn

(current version still puts chests at opening to passageways & some chests get clustered together)

That's all the options I can think of at the moment. Looking forward to seeing your version of it. Hopefully it'll be better than Sanshiro's version.
1...already in the parameters of DreamX's plugin extension..
2.  Also, included....
3. This would be nice I suppose for like overworld/surface maps, instead of walls using impassable floor tiles (like deep water, swamp, etc...)
4. This is sorta there, can prevent certain events from spawning in start room or exit room.
4a. I simply make the chest below character after players open them, but adding some type of soft control to prevent them from blocking passages would be nice.

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
1...already in the parameters of DreamX's plugin extension..
2.  Also, included....
3. This would be nice I suppose for like overworld/surface maps, instead of walls using impassable floor tiles (like deep water, swamp, etc...)
4. This is sorta there, can prevent certain events from spawning in start room or exit room.
4a. I simply make the chest below character after players open them, but adding some type of soft control to prevent them from blocking passages would be nice.
Control over room sizes doesn't include a room size MAX, just minimum. I've already posted the pic in which the dungeon generated always has a over-sized room on the right side of the map. There's no way to limit how big a room can get with the extension as it is.

As for not including walls & ceiling tiles, that's for making dungeons which only consist of walkways floating in either the sky or space or some crazy dimensional space.

As for placement of chests & other events, they currently still block the front tile of a pathway & I'm not going to put them below the player or make them disappear because they still function as obstacles for roaming enemies on the map & one of my randomly generated dungeon themes is an ice area with slippery tiles. The chests, along with some ice statues, will act as stopping points so the player can solve randomly generated sliding puzzles.

Mojo907

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Control over room sizes doesn't include a room size MAX, just minimum. I've already posted the pic in which the dungeon generated always has a over-sized room on the right side of the map. There's no way to limit how big a room can get with the extension as it is.

As for not including walls & ceiling tiles, that's for making dungeons which only consist of walkways floating in either the sky or space or some crazy dimensional space.

As for placement of chests & other events, they currently still block the front tile of a pathway & I'm not going to put them below the player or make them disappear because they still function as obstacles for roaming enemies on the map & one of my randomly generated dungeon themes is an ice area with slippery tiles. The chests, along with some ice statues, will act as stopping points so the player can solve randomly generated sliding puzzles.
I did realize that after I posted, but don't encounter the same problem too often. However, I can see it as something that could throw off immersion as the dungeon would seem quite empty.

Dunno, just passing an idea of what to do with the chests, pretty much every random dungeon generator I've used since ACE has had this issue with events.....maybe it's something that just can't be avoided. I would hope it's possible, but if it's not..I'm not going to fret too much about it. I use slippery tiles as well, not so much as puzzles, just more of a hazard keeping players on their toes, as the tiles could slide them into an encounter or something another.

DreamX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Current progress and an example.

map.png

As you can see I have not finished doing the roofs/walls and haven't started on the rooms.

In this example, the map size is 100x100, the path size is 3*, roof size is 1, wall height is 1, map border is 1, the space between paths is 1 and it was configured to fill the entire map with paths. All of these things are currently customizable aside from how much to fill the map, which will be made customizable.

*Path size corresponds to the orientation of the path.

Example with path size of 3:

If the path is horizontal, then the height of the path is 3 tiles.

If the path vertical, then the width of the path is 3 tiles.

Map screenshot made with Orange Mapshot

Zedyon

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It is a nice work you've done together !
I have a suggestion for you DreamX, can you add the possibility of fullfill a room/corridors with an area ? It allows for us to more things such as add thematics of monsters for a room ?

Animebryan

Need more resources!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So the path size is customizable too? Any chance to have it vary in size throughout a single map?

Edit: Just remembered another suggestion that's important. When the user would place tiles to be used for generating, it's important to make the generator 'auto-tile friendly'. Reason why is because some people may want to use auto-tiles like the carpet or flooded floor tiles or waterfall walls, or lava floors/walls/ceilings, etc. So it's important that it gets along with auto-tiles because I've dealt with generators before that didn't get along with them & constant errors would make the generator undesirable to use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So I figured out how to put words and pictures in the screen transition. It even wipes away from both the top and bottom. The possibilities are endless! :LZSexcite: I'm going to devise secret messages now for them because I'm a terrible wonderful person like that. :kaopride:
December has arrived and with that, an ¡update for Aletoir Feast! a game made it for the One Map Challenge. I will use some of the remaining switches, variables, and events from the challenge limit to add more content but keep it within the requirements. ¡Have a nice day Everybody!
What I worked on today. :LZSjoy:

No stream today, make a game in MZ is continuing next week!
It seems MOG Weather only has a "clear" function to instantly erase a given weather effect. Probably works well if weather only changes at map transfer, etc, but looks very abrupt if weather effects are continuously changing. So my next challenge: script a "fade" function to gradually fade the sprites and wait to "clear" the current weather until the opacity of all its sprites hits zero... or something like that! XD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merpmerp