Map Generator

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Sanshiro, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Jammer691

Jammer691 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Sorry, I know this post is a bit old, but im curious, what battle system are you using in this?

2. Animebryan

Animebryan Feels like I'm slowly dying! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What do you mean 'this post is a bit old'? Check the dates from the last few posts, this topic is still active. And what does a battle system have to do with a Random Dungeon Generator? The only battle system that would be affected by a dungeon generator is a ABS (Active Battle System) in which you actually fight on the map. And last I checked, no one's come up with one yet.

3. Mojo907

Mojo907 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    DreamX, you should probably start your own page for your random dungeon generator, and refer back to this as your inspiration. It would be easier to keep updated i'm sure.

4. DreamX

DreamX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yea, I will with the next update.

In the meantime, people can also use my other plugin to randomize events.

Mojo907 and Animebryan like this.
  5. Animebryan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So how's the generator coming along?

6. DreamX

DreamX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Path size is customizable. Right now I'm having the path sizes remain the same. Might change that though.

I will try to get the auto-tiles perfect.

I haven't had the most free time recently so I'm hoping to get done or at least release something WIP in the middle of August.

Ravenith, Mojo907 and Animebryan like this.
  7. Malagar

Malagar Villager Member

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Hey,

Just wanted to SAN and DreamX a heads up.

I just got into MV and used to work with "Saba Kans Random Dungeon Generator" quite a lot back in the days.

SAN's sample project seems to be the perfect base-script to start a new project!

8. Icklebognok

Icklebognok Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I have found a problem with this plugin. It uses tiles from the a2 set. but it becomes a problem when using tiles from the A5 set. Is there a fix for this?

9. Animebryan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Since the A5 tiles are auto-tiles, that means the current version of this script isn't auto-tile friendly. DreamX said that he's making his own version of this script instead of relying on Sanshiro's. When he asked for what features should be included, I mentioned to him that his version should be auto-tile friendly & he said it'll be made that way.

He also said that he would try to have it either finished or have a working demo by mid-August, so he's a little bit late. If he does post it, he might start a whole new topic about it since this is Sanshiro's topic. He should at least post a notification on here letting us know since this is where the rest of us frequent for updates. Hopefully we'll hear from him soon.

10. SimProse

SimProse Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

Is this Map Generator still in progress? Boy, would I like to get ahold of this!

11. Animebryan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not Sanshiro's version or the add on that DreamX made. He decided to make his own Map Generator, that's what he's working on right now. He said it would either be finished or have a working demo by mid-August, so he's a little late. As I mentioned in my last post, he'll probably start a new topic for it (according to the rules, he can't post it here since this is Sanshiro's topic & doing so is considered 'hijacking a topic'. But I'm sure he'll leave a post he letting us know that it's either done or a demo is available. We just need to be a little more patient.

SatansAngel likes this.
  12. warhawk1992

warhawk1992 Villager Member

I am getting a type error

TypeError

Cannot read property 'id' of undefined.

Is there something I am missing?

13. Fabul

Fabul Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    I'm having trouble with it the plugin too, but I think I got a whole little game I wanna base off this random dungeon generation.

That is to say, I've been checking for a good random dungeon generator for a time now to make this idea I got work.

14. DreamX

DreamX Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I am late, sorry. At the moment I can't give an expected date, but I'll start working on it again.

This probably has to do with the fact that the events in Sanshiro's generator technically don't exist in the run-time database. Without individual compatibility patches, Sanshiro's plugin will naturally have problems with any other plugin that does things like check event notetags.

For people who want the random events but are open to creating the maps themselves, you can try this:

If you still want "randomly generated maps," you could try the "generate dungeon" feature in RPG Maker MV, and then put in some regions for my Random Map Events plugin to randomly allocate events.

It's worth noting that I'm going to make an update to my random map events plugin to reduce file save size since I technically don't need to save the entire map into the save file if I'm only changing the events or tileset type. It should work the same for you as a developer, though.

Ravenith likes this.
  15. pEcOsGhOsT

pEcOsGhOsT Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    First off thanks for this AwEsOmE plugin Sanshiro!
    I'm using this alongside Quasi ABS (I'm pretty sure this is the reason I'm having trouble, but anyway...)
    Everything works great, dungeon generates, events/enemies are placed coherently, everything seems to be perfect except...

I CAN WALK THROUGH ALL THE WALLS (so much for a tough dungeon maze! ;_; ) and I've tried everything to fix it- change player to "THROUGH OFF", I've tried region to make the walls region locked, I even tried completely transferring over all the abs files to a clean SAN_MapGenerator project. I'm probably overlooking some small detail but it just can't seem to figure out what it is (and it's driving me crazy, as rpg maker often does!)

Thanks in advance for your help! 

16. San_Goku_Zug_Zug_Zug

San_Goku_Zug_Zug_Zug Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I've had that problem before with other random dungeon generators. Plug-ins using pixel movement usually cause problems with the generator.

17. pEcOsGhOsT

pEcOsGhOsT Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    AH! YOU'RE RIGHT!!! Thanks for figuring that out!!

18. Phaelitico

Phaelitico Someone that develops to mobile Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    I have a suggestion myself, its kinda of a request actually, and a bold one...

I don't know if you guys are aware of Kai Monkey's Dungeon Generator: https://rpgmaker.net/scripts/582/

It's a really powerfull generator for RPG Maker VX Ace that gets already made map parts and conect it together to make one giant random map.

so, with maps like this:
    [​IMG]
    it can become maps like this:

[​IMG]

It is possible to replicate that idea? i believe it's awesome this way, because it will be possible to generate regular random maps like forests or other stuff.

Kai Monkey likes this.
  19. Mojo907

Mojo907 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, It's been suggested to KaiMonkey as well, but he hasn't really taken to the idea of coding for MV.

Kai Monkey likes this.
  20. SatansAngel

SatansAngel THE RPG Maker 2003 World Champion (retired) Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Heres an update for you guys in previous posts - answering your questions and adding some NEW info.

First, The notetag is to the right of the namebox when you create a new event (It says 'Note:' - the box to the right of EV002), the top of my window is always cut off so it's hard to see but I took the best screenshot my computer could get... It's not a comment or plugin or script command.
    mapgeneratorhelp.png

Second, if you download the sample demo extract the original 1.00 version of the plugin, it may work. I couldn't get the new plugin to work at all after hours even of re-doing the script myself - understandable why everyones frustrated. I may go back later and try it but for now the original version plus DreamX's extension works great for me with no errors/TypeErrors, unlike the new version of the plugin.

This is the best one I've found for random dungeons, if anyone else has a better one shoot me a message.