Admin
Reaction score
First Language
RPG Maker
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
fUwEEse.png

Credits: -
(Note: Credits for materials may also include map creator, omitted for anonymity)​

Chilari

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would be grateful for feedback please. :)

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Chilari First thing, great job on the map considering you're new to MV! Getting a map looking like something more than a giant empty world is tough at first, so the fact that you were able to fill the map without relying on repeating the same tile over and over and over is a good start. slimmmeiske2 already gave some great feedback on the randomness of the road and the size of the chicken coop, so I'll focus on a few other parts. :)

Two points stand out as a bit odd to me in the map, the fact that the fence ends before touching the house and coop (leaving enough space for a wily chicken to escape) and the rock border around the crops. If you meant for there to be a border around the crops then it's fine, though I would also expect some paths to be around the crops. For the fence spaces, you'll want to use shift-click mapping to fill in the gaps.

Are you familiar with shift-click mapping? If you're not, here's an old tutorial that explains it well. It's something I didn't learn about until a while into using rpg maker, but the sooner you can understand and use it the sooner you'll be able to do some cool things with maps. Such as copying a part of the fence at the center and pasting it next to the coop so the fence is flush with the building.

An addition that I think could help is trying out some tints on your map. A good tint can take a normal farm map and turn it into a somber location (with some of the green tint removed and more grey added) or a cheery early morning (with increased red). Finding the right tint can be a bit of trial and error, but if you can learn how to use tints well early you can really change up the moods of maps without needing to add a bunch of specially made things.

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
All I can say is that if I had realised you were so new to this I would have given you an extra point because this is an excellent start! My first maps were shockers (hopefully better now!) but let's be honest, if you can't edit the tiles, some of them are just weirdly placed and there is nothing you can do about it. The other comments cover the main issues (yes, that chook house is a whopper) and I don't like the wee one tile high doors - that's a personal preference because they just don't make sense to me (just look at the size of the chook in comparison). And yes, learn the shift-click trick. I didn't know that for ages and it is a real game changer. Otherwise, really well done and I can't imagine what you'll be producing with a bit more time under your belt. Keep going!

Chilari

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you so much. I had no idea about shift clicking. Definitely gonna start dong that! Also don't know how to do two-high doors. Are there any in the RTP or will I have to work out how to install more? Don't know about tints either so I'll look that up too.

I actually used the top half of a window for the chicken door because I wanted it to be less than one full tile.

As for the rock border around the crops, yes that was deliberate. I didn't like how abrupt the transition from grass to tilled earth was so I tried the cliff top pieces to soften it. But that meant I couldn't also use path. I'll have a play around and try to work out how to make field borders look better.

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Dang, you're new to this and came up with that? NOT BAD! You even have different ground levels. As for criticisms, I don't have anything to add that wasn't mentioned yet. Nice job and I look forward to seeing your creativity down the road. :)

Last edited:

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Also don't know how to do two-high doors. Are there any in the RTP or will I have to work out how to install more?
I had to actually go and look to figure that out, and no, I don't think there are unfortunately. As I said, that's just a personal preference of mine but then I also am not a fan of the chibi sprites either but they do match those doors. When you are ready to start exploring the available DLC I would recommend you start with the First Seed Materials sets. They are huge and beautiful and have all sorts of character sheets as well (including tall doors). They are a little expensive but are real value for money expecially if you can get them on sale. It's not hard to install them and they actually come with instructions.

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

Chilari

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, I'll take a look at those.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

A good way to practice writing is to write "flash fiction"; very short stories. Link
Dam, does the night get to me, I sound and look like a monster. Its 3:54 am right now...I need sleep...or...coffee.
It has nothing to do with my project, but I'm in love with voxels
If you feel like your story isn't that great, just look at final fantasy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsytrggfsdb