Admin
Reaction score
First Language
RPG Maker
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
nzUlV5V.png

Credits: MV Trinity
(Note: Credits for materials may also include map creator, omitted for anonymity)​

Quexp

Lifelong Learner
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I thought this was going to be a mundane map and then...

SECRETS! I love, love, love it! :)

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I thought this was going to be a mundane map and then...

SECRETS! I love, love, love it! :)
Thank you. It's made especially for this contest, so it's not a map that has a real story to it in my mind but I tried to treat it as a room that the Hero has already been through - flipped all the switches, raided the treasure chest, nicked the loot and scarpered down the hidden passage! I hope he had fun! :smile:

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Calamitous Magic I love all the little hidden switches and such on the map, it really makes it feel like a place you'd visit in a game. :) I'm not exactly sure what type of building this is supposed to be though, the fancy statues and clean floors made me think it was a palace of some sort but that doesn't explain the spike traps. If it was a dungeon or criminal's hideout the traps would make more sense, but then the fact the rest of it is so clean is confusing. You mentioned not having a real story for the map, but if you had had one I think you could have made an even better map.

I like the layout of the lower left room, but some of the clutter like the camel doll and bottles doesn't fit the guard room vide the armor and weapons gives off. Is it meant to be just a storage room? And it could just be me, but I overlooked the open door to that room at first because all the shadows in the doorway made it look a bit like a wall.

This is just nit-picky, but the plants in the water seem to be placed a bit randomly, which is surprising to me since they would have to be tended by someone to really grow there and I'd think the person growing them would want to keep them . They also are very close to those fountains, and I'd expect the plants to be push away from the moving water instead of right next to them.

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
No, you're not nit-picky. You are spot on with all those things. I started off just really wanting to use the lovely Trinity tiles and kept changing my mind about what to do layout-wise and it shows. Having a restricted size is surprisingly challenging. That room ended up as a "stand back and chuck" storage room and the chest probably just had some mouldy old potion in it! I really should have changed the shape of the bottom wall to the right of it so that I could squeeze in a little peek of a treasure room or something reached from the stairs in the corner.

The spiky traps don't really fit (and I'm laughing now, looking at them because they don't really make any sense at all) but I was just trying to give a "dead" room some action as if one had to figure out the order of all the switches. In the end I just ran out of time. I need more discipline!

It's really interesting, isn't it, how different it is making a map as a stand-alone thing compared to making one for your story? I'm looking forward to the next round when we will have a theme. I'll have to make up a little plot-line for it so that it makes more sense.

Thanks for your feedback.

Punamaagi

Hero on their own terms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really like the colour scheme of your map: the MV Trinity tiles are gorgeous, and you made good use of them to create what feels to me something out of an old-school RPG/adventure game. There are a lot of interesting details, too, but the map doesn't feel too cluttered. Good luck with the next round - it will be interesting to see what cool things you'll create!

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In my opinion, this was a great use of the MV Trinity materials and it was very impressive at how everything was done within the size of 27 x 15. Great job :) !

WaywardMartian

Is sometimes a giant bee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The spiky traps don't really fit (and I'm laughing now, looking at them because they don't really make any sense at all) but I was just trying to give a "dead" room some action as if one had to figure out the order of all the switches.

Aw, I liked the spike traps. Sometimes it's nice to have a straight-forward 'this is a video game, here is a puzzle' going on. If I had a palace decorated like that, I'd absolutely fill it with traps and secret doors. :D

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

This Life is a Dream is in full production! More pics and some free promo assets coming soon!
Dragonfly3116 wrote on Redweaver's profile.
i need to ask do you mind sending me a link to tutorial town an legend of ancients Please My new Email is necroboy1973@gmail.com
I Am A Member On The Site Here As Well If Your Still teaching Let Me Know Thanks Joseph
Added store elements.
44JtdpE5n4jQMFkSi7pACW.png

2uqvqT3uCWxcXAhlyZokxg.png

The next step will be to start making props (including distillers).
I just saw one of SigmaSuccor's RPG Maker news videos, it mentioned one of my plugins. Now I kind of wish I'd made a demo project for it, having nothing in that segment but a scroll down the code feels a little underwhelming given what the plugin COULD do. Except I suck at making demo stuff, and my testing project isn't fit for that. :(
Ok, to prepare for the GMTK Game Jam, I'm trying to make a game with the theme "The Cat's out of the Bag" in about 48 hours. I'd make a forum post with a question, but I don't have the time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
captnemo