RMMZ
Entry 1
kHNI6wb.png
Credits: [Copyright](C)finalbossblues

Entry 2
PiSYbv6.png
Credits:
REFMAP [Copyright](C) REFMAP Publisher: Degica, Co. LTD, Celianna

(Note: Credits for materials may also include map creator, omitted for anonymity)

Last edited:

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This one was a tough one to choose, but I went with Entry 2 due to liking the representation of the dark and light elements. To me, it was a beautiful and creative representation of the light element piercing through an area that's dominated by the dark element; this type of creativity is a good demonstration of the power and capability of the RPG Maker program. Having said that, Entry 1 wasn't bad, either, and that Entry may arguably be the best representation of the fire/lava element that I have seen on this round as Entry 1 looked very organized and felt very old-school.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Entry 2 had the strongest visual in the simplest presentation which is why i went with that one.
Entry 1 tho a good map felt a bit overcomplicated in what it was trying to 'tell' me.

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I like pixel art style in 1 farrrr better (I do agree it gets overly complicated in some areas), but the composition, perspective, and theme of 2 is aesthetic af so I went with it. I mean look at how the blurred elements and fog draw your eye right to the focal points. Almost like being in a painting/a dream?

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It was a pity that this match up was of two such utterly contrasting styles. Number two is an absolutely breathtaking piece of art and it immediately draws the eye (and lots of ahhs and oohs). The old school look of number one is sort of "primitive" compared to what you more commonly see nowadays but very nostalgic in its simplicity.

I thought about this match a lot though and eventually went with number one as I felt that this was more clearly a "dungeon" I know it was a very broad definition but I felt that the second one was more a "final destination" to be reached after you've fought your way through all the boggies and raided all the loot. In my mind, this is where you find the fabulous Glowing Mystical Dragon Repelling Great Sword of your esteemed ancestor.

So number one got my vote but, wow, number two is beautiful.

bjorn56

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Now that the event is over, I can say @Puffer, you made an awesome map. I actually think your map from the previous round is my favorite from the whole contest.

Puffer

creator of a game that doesnt exist yet
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Now that the tournament is over I can finally reply to this thread!

Thank you @bjorn56, your map was really great as well!

Also thank you everyone for all the kind words! I really didn't expect this map to get a lot of attention like this!

@Calamitous Magic Yep, it definitely was more like the final room of the entire dungeon rather than the “dungeon” part itself. I remember back when I was making this map I legit panic because it's like 1am and I haven't done anything at all for my submission because I have no idea for it. I then boot up Skyrim for a bit and then the idea of making a sort of final room came to my mind. Those room where you get the treasure or fight the boss in the dungeon have always been the most memorable for me. So I decided to work on this idea because it's easier to work with than having to make an actual dungeon layout, and it's also seemed unique for me(I kinda want all of my map to have sort like different interpretation of the theme, sort of like second thought, when you think about the theme you usually think about this, but when you give it a second thought you will think about that as well)

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It is truly stunning and even more impressive if you did it in a panic! I think if this had been one of the maps in the final you would have romped it in. It was a surprisingly difficult theme though, considering that it seems very straightforward. Given the constraints of the size, I found it really difficult to try to convey a sense of "dungeonness" in that single map. Purely as an aesthtetic work of art, this is definitely one of the two standouts of the comp for me. The other being Wayward Martian's entry in this same round. Both stunning.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Hey everyone! No Studio Blue RPG Maker Critiques Stream today! But you can always check the playlist for old streams you've missed!

I ran out of paper sheets to draw, so I guess I'm forced to do digital for a while now...
x778xt8.jpg

Still haven0t found a colouring style that I like :kaoswt:
woods.pngshop.jpgboss.jpgRoom.png

Mapping is becoming so much easier!
FirestormNeos wrote on Neikoku's profile.
the cat in your profile picture is adorable
Are the default-size "chibi" sprites really a bad thing for a project? I'm not planning to sell my game anyway but I was wondering if they were as hated as some videos seem to claim...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gh05tinblack